BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had excellent luck with the Progressive snapshot program on my two other cars; achieving the full 30% discount. I called yesterday to register my M5 with the program and they explained that the snapshot hasn't worked well with the E39 M5 and has even caused issues with performance - so they wont issue me the device.

In short - wondering if anyone else has had success with the snapshot in an E39 or experienced problems? Ultimately I would like to petition Progressive to let me try it on the car.

Through my research on the topic across the web I've see a number of misconceptions on the device and it's outcomes... so if anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer. Cheers!

·
Registered
336 Posts
where are you in NJ? just curious. A coworker also has a MY2000 M5 like mine and he used snapshot with full 30% success, as the car never moved the entire time (winter).

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
So, the first time I ever saw the commercial for the Progressive Snapshot I laughed since I assumed that it logs speed data into the device and trends your driving habits as well as flags when you go over the speed limit and other criteria that would prohibit you from getting any discounts. I laughed because I cant ever recall driving the M5 within the speed limit unless stuck in traffic.

I thought to myself that there wouldnt be any M5 owner that would even consider getting the device for this reason, but yet this thread got started so thank you for proving me wrong.

Could you enlighten me as to how it actually works?

Reactions: lightwerkz

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
If I read your post correctly, what kind of performance issues does the snapshot cause on the M5? Is this thing wired to the DME or something?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If I read your post correctly, what kind of performance issues does the snapshot cause on the M5? Is this thing wired to the DME or something?
Its a sales rep/customer service agent talking to a customer and trying to dissuade him from pushing for a snapshot... we are far from knowing that it causes any issues

It plugs into the OBD port... fail to see how it would impact performance

I dont need anyone having access to speed data. No matter what they SAY.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
^ Yeah, I'm of the same mind-frame.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
where are you in NJ? just curious. A coworker also has a MY2000 M5 like mine and he used snapshot with full 30% success, as the car never moved the entire time (winter).
Hudson County. The rep told me that they had multiple issues reported with the snapshot on my car - not sure if that is specifically an 01 M5. I think I am going to call again.

I thought to myself that there wouldnt be any M5 owner that would even consider getting the device for this reason, but yet this thread got started so thank you for proving me wrong.

Could you enlighten me as to how it actually works?
The key drivers for the discount are not related to speed - actually I can state for fact that I know speeding isn't counted into equation. It's 100% hard braking (and accelerating :M5launch:) and when (time during the day) you drive the car. Risk is compounded by hard braking during riskier driving periods. I have run the program twice on my 6sp 135i with two very different results and I am currently running the snapshot on my 328 - so, I have several control points. Note - they state collecting 6 months of data - on all occasions (for me) it has lasted 3 months.

I put the snapshot on the E88 right after I got... and in short, bad call. I was super happy on the gas in bad locations and as result on the brakes frequently. Even though I didnt drive much I landed at a 12% discount (I think I logged 150+ hard brakes in that period). I did the program again this spring and decided to be a bit more conservative with my driving (key focus on hard brakes). With the snapshot in I have taken the car over 100 on multiple occasion - usually a nice highway merge. After the first month I had the 30% implemented and after three months I sent he device back and the 30% was final. Progressive doesnt care if you speed responsibly... (I should note that I only traveled 400 miles in three months, typically drove during low risk periods, and logged less than 50 hard brakes)

The E90 - I cruise at 80-90mph on the interstates and toll roads. I have the snapshot in right now and the projected discount is 30%. That car is pretty hard to be crazy in - I call it my old man car lol.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't have progressive on the M, otherwise I'd opt for it in the winter when I don't drive nearly as much anyway. But I WAS considering it for my truck. I spoke to a rep on the phone and he insisted that it does not monitor your location or speed (meh, I don't know about that) but anyway... My deal-breaker was another parameter I was unaware of. If you drive between 12am and 4am it lowers the discount potential. I do this 2-3 times a week coming home from my night job and he basically said don't even bother. Also, the amount of miles you drive affects it, and I do over 100 miles a day when I work both places. Oh well, I was sceptical as to what I'd save anyway...even in my daily. If you can work it like my coworker did and not drive the car very much or at all it would definitely be worth it. And I also don't see how it could possibly hurt how the car runs.

Reactions: SidekickChuck

·
Registered
90 Posts
I received the same response from Progressive regarding issues when used on the e39 M5 OBDII specifically. They wouldn't send me a snapshot.

Fortunately I was replacing my E36 that had the discount for several renewals already and the rep had seen this once before and was able to transfer it with another customer. (May not have been an e39 m5) but she stated transferring it had been successfully done before.

You may need to have them transfer another vehicles snapshot discount to the m5, then request the snapshot for the vehicle you transferred it from and be re-rated. Obviously if you have other vehicles on your policy.

I was fortunate enough because of the replacement of the vehicle that I didn't have to be rated again and kept the 30%.

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Few more bits of info. My m5 is a 2001.

Also being rated on the e36 I did have to dispute an issue of 18 hard brakes within 2 miles. ( I averaged 6 hard brakes over the course of a month just to show the comparison.

What it was doing, which I explained to Progressive very politely was based off the speed sensor on a wheel driven by the engine. I.e. Rear wheel. Instead of a front wheel which is not. (On my e36 in this situation).

I pulled the car out of the garage in the winter and spun the tires trying to get it back up the driveway

I figured that the wheel spin would tell the computer I was going drastically fast, then zero. I.e 10 to 40 mph, then back to zero quickly. That falls into their equation of a hard brake. Rapid deceleration.

If bmw had put the speed sensor on a non driven wheel, then it wouldn't show wheels spin inaccuracies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts