BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting for my '01 Beast to come in November and have a question that I and my "highly informed salesperson"
couldn't answer.

There is a CD that is designed for use by BMW people only (called "The Source" - got my hands on the 2000 version) that describes Car and Key Memory with the following:

"The system actually provides MANY MORE (my emphasis) possibilities than outlined here; BMW believes these will be most important to customers. Customers who desire more information may obtain it from their BMW Center."

They then list the following (which I'll abbreviate - they spend time describing each one) as the standard "most important" Car and Key Memory options:

Car Memory: Visible or Audible/Visible alarm confirmation, daytime running lamps, pathway lighting, auto-locking of doors w/ car traveling over 5 mph, and selective door unlocking for enhanced security.

Key Memory: Climate control (always remembered), seat and safety belt settings, steering wheel settings and outside mirror settings.

In the final paragraph they say:
"A customer selection form is available for customers to indicate their specific and detailed preferences, including the EXTENSIVE CHOICES NOT DESCRIBED HERE (again my emphasis). Programming of the system will then be performed by the BMW Center's service department."

My sales person gave me "the form" and of course it doesn't contain any other options.

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know about the EXTENSIVE other choices for car and key memory?

2. I remember an old post about being able to put the on-board computer into test mode - does anyone know if that can be used to program these settings rather than having to go to a BMW center? If so, does anyone remember the link to the site that describes how to hack the OBC? I searched thru the old posts and couldn't find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
One link, coming up!
<url>http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html</url>

The options you listed (for Car and Key Memory) were the ones that I could configure via the Customer Choice sheet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JKLEB,

Thanks for the link. I re-read it and that one looks like a blind alley.

So ... does anybody have any information about this multitude of OTHER Car/Key Memory settings?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is the information I posted a while back on the same subject, I hope it helps,

OPTIONS FOR PERSONAL KEY PROGRAMMING
CAN ONLY BE DONE ON DEALERS DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE.

1. Anti theft system.
Set by door lock or
set by remote control
2. Visual arm / disarm. on/off
3. Power locks.
Remote control of interior lights on/off.
Autolock after 2 min on/off
Autolock on drive away (5mph) on/off
Selective door locks ie: one press opens drivers door only double press opens all doors and boot (trunk)
4. Window and roof controls.
One touch is selectable for each door and the roof independently; open and/orclosed. (think about this before asking questions)
Total closer from remote on/off
total or partial opener from remote on/off
5. interior light soft on or off on/off.
6.External lights.
DRL on/off
Home lights on/off/40s/90s/150s/240s
7.Accoustic warnings key on/off
8. Heating A/C and vent settings key seletive on/off by key 1/2.
9.Flaps recirc. air memory on/off
10.A/C Cooling output high/low
11. Seat/mirror memory when unlocking/when opening door on/off
12. PDC volume 1-6 and switch on message on/off.
There you are that little lot should drive all your dealers mad when you hit them on Monday morning with your custom settings.
What SHOULD happen, is you should be given a print out of the factory defaults (which is everything off) when you take delivery of yourcar, then you tick the features you want set and the dealer will set them up while you sign up the rest of the paperwork.
Straw poll: HOW MANY OF YOU HAD THIS DONE.
Count me as a YES.

Brian R

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by StupidGrin8UP:
There is a CD that is designed for use by BMW people only (called "The Source" - got my hands on the 2000 version)
StupidGrin8UP,
i will get my '01 also in November (Status 111, build in week 43/00). I habe a question about the CD (The Source) you refer. Is there a section about the NAV/TV-system? I have ordered it and a want that the TV is running during driving...

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in november i hope!)
'97 M3 - cosmosblack

PS. sorry about typos and other errors...

·
Registered
3 Posts
As for watching tv while driving, it's designed to operate only while the parking brake is on. But what about clicking the brake up just one notch so it doesn't really engage, but is enough to turn it on? You will have to ignore the warning the dash of course.

I used to do that with our families Chevy Tahoe to kill the darn daytime running light feature.

Anybody from Britain or Europe doing this now?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by RICKM:
As for watching tv while driving, it's designed to operate only while the parking brake is on. But what about clicking the brake up just one notch so it doesn't really engage, but is enough to turn it on? You will have to ignore the warning the dash of course.
RICKM,
i don't think so, because there is a trick for the old (pre 2000) NAV/TV-System.
BTW i will NEVER watch TV during i'm driving...

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (in november i hope!)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
88 Posts
Believe me it wont work pulling the hand brake. The system also looks at the speed input signal for the elctronic odometer.

I have been trying to find out how to do this since I got my car in May and have not cracked it yet.

The older system fitted to 540 and 7 series can be over-ridden by a series of inputs on the control for the sat-nav / tv. but as has been dicussed at length on this board, it does not work on the E39 M5.

However dont let me put you off tryng to find out as I for one will be very happy to learn from you.

Brian R

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I habe a question about the CD (The Source) you refer.
Is there a section about the NAV/TV-system? I have ordered it and a want that the TV is running during driving...
Dany,

I agree with the other posts - in Europe, my 5er didn't require the parking brake, I believe the screen went blank when the car was moving, so it is tied in with the speed sensor.

And of course, "The Source" didn't even document TV function since it is a BMWUSA CD and since we don't even get to see the TV work when sitting still!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts