BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

Maybe everybody knows this already but I certainly didn't. It's the programmable interval for the wipers. I find it in a rainy country like Holland a various nice feature which you don't see often on any car..even newones.

How does it work?

Starting position of the wiper handle is off.
Move handle shortly to postion one and then back to off
The time you wait until you move it back to position one again is the time of your interval. Very nice feature:lightbulb:

When the car is not driving the interval time is multiplied by 2 I believe.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I used to use it on my 1994 3.8 6-speed, and tried to use it on my 1990 3.6 but it wouldn't work. Must be a later addition.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First time in years!!

R T F M !
Yeah, yeah, yeah:deal::deal::deal:
This is the first time in years I've read a manual on how to operate a vehicle. Apparently it was neccessary. Anyways....I like the feature....by the way: does an e34 540 has the same feature?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Works on my 1988 3.6.
I guess that's another thing to fix on my list :grrrrr: (way down at the bottom, near replace valve caps with proper BMW ///M ones).

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah:deal::deal::deal:
This is the first time in years I've read a manual on how to operate a vehicle. Apparently it was neccessary. Anyways....I like the feature....by the way: does an e34 540 has the same feature?
Every e34 has that feature, even my first e34, a 1990 520i Slowmotion 12V

·
10,458 Posts
Just for future americans doing searches, that feature does not work in US market cars (even though it's printed in the manual!).
Since the typical american doesn't read the manual, they'd never understand the wiper interval...

We get a fixed time interval, that doubles in length when at a standstill (i.e. at a stop light vs at speed)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Works on my 3.6 (Jan 1990) build.

I don't care if it was in the manual, I'm in IT so don't read manuals.

Plus, it made me smile as being unable to set this for 7 years was really bugging me so I was over the moon to be goofing about yesterday night in the rain doing it! lolol. It's the simple things that amuse me.

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I find that spending too much time programing it ends up
in a rear end near miss....which perhaps explains why it's not
present on American cars !

Law suit anyone ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just for future americans doing searches, that feature does not work in US market cars (even though it's printed in the manual!).
Since the typical american doesn't read the manual, they'd never understand the wiper interval...

We get a fixed time interval, that doubles in length when at a standstill (i.e. at a stop light vs at speed)
Mike,
I have an 8/90 build date and this feature works on my car

David

·
10,458 Posts
Mike,
I have an 8/90 build date and this feature works on my car

David
huh, i've never had any luck getting the interval to change on any of my previous cars, (e34's and e36's).

will have to try again next time i'm out in the rain.

·
Registered
750 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36134&highlight=obc

2nd post

While we are on the subject of steering wheel lever functions, the delay
time of the intermittent wiper can be adjusted. Push the wiper lever up one....
Was searching for Prog 1 message on the instrument cluster screen when I pushed the scroll button (to) long. Then I red about the wiper interval to :D. Must say I never knew this. Its a way better system than a adjustable button like other cars have, just keep adjusting these...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its programmable on the fly! you simply turn the wipers on, then off again quickly, then you wait the desired interval up to ~30 seconds (Not sure about exact limits) and it remembers the interval.

I use it all the time in the rain, works great.

-Russ
'94 M5

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Excuse me Mottati but I take serious offense to this comment. I am a proud Canadian who hasn't read most of his manual either.

Sorry to get all worked up but I can't stand for that kind of ignorant behavior.

:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Since English rain has no set interval, I can't get the wipers to match. Use RainX and keep yer foot down - works for me.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Since English rain has no set interval, I can't get the wipers to match. Use RainX and keep yer foot down - works for me.

Dave.
Correct answer,

In heavy rain use both side windows :)

·
10,458 Posts
Excuse me Mottati but I take serious offense to this comment. I am a proud Canadian who hasn't read most of his manual either.

Sorry to get all worked up but I can't stand for that kind of ignorant behavior.

:)
my apologies! I should say north americans i suppose, but i figured if canadians could handle the metric system....:haha:

·
Registered
349 Posts

I was excited to see this post, then disappointed since we US cars don't have this option. However, to my pleasant surprise today, I tried this, and it worked beautifully!!!

The "memory" is short lasting, so if you turn it back to 0, and then to I again, it "looses" the "memory", but it works perfectly...

Love this... now I have to try on my E39 to see if the same thing works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts