BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a programmable ECU for the M5? Coming from a 15psi 420whp Acura RSX as my last car, I had K-Series Programmable ECU
Kpro so I was able to change any factor (fuel/timing/rev/map sensor...and such) the ECU controlled. This was perfect for when I wanted to configure boost-by-gear or raise by launch limiter or add more fuel. I see all these companies offering "flashes", which is great...but no one offers a programmable ECU?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Your stock ECU is programmable. However, I am sure you shall not be able to do it with ease. The flashes provided by different tuners do the same for you. They modify the values for certain variables.

However, we have to realise that the V10 ECU is a work of art and is not very simple to programme. You cannot just change the AFR because the EUC adapts and would negate any changes in AFR only in a couple of days. Also, the ECU has a base and target values for everything. So you have to change the target values within a specific range. If you change the values beyond the specified range, the ECU shall reject the changes and start adapting again.

In addition, you would have to programme the ignition, vanos etc. etc. to accomodate the changes in the AFR.

·
Registered
114 Posts
pectel has a ecu for the S85 engine. standalone and it can run sequential .

If you are looking to go standalone, currently only they offer a p&p unit. but any thing related with electronics/trouble code and so on is another headache. basically this ecu is for people who want to drop this engine to another vehicle.

Thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Good info.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Any standalone should work with the S85. The problem is that standalones do not address the crosstalk between the ECU and the other computers (SMG, body control, etc.). You could run the motor with Megasquirt, Pectel, etc. but not much else would work right. Nobody makes a BMW specific unit like those Hondata things because they would never sell enough of them, and unfortunately open-source stuff like Subaru and Mitsubishi is likely not going to happen either. Currently unless you work for a tuner who has cracked the ECU all you get is a flash.

·
Registered
114 Posts
yea, you just need enough input and outputs, and if you wanted to run sequential ignition or wasted spark, pectel ecu is good as it can run sequential in a single unit, with a motec m800 , you need 2 to run sequential on this engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts