·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SI B 61 14 03
General Electrical Systems
March 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 14 03 dated December 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Software Errors Corrected with Progman

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

Vehicles produced up to February 28, 2007

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 25.00.00 (Target data Status E060-07-03-510).
  1. Engine pinging and cold idle fluctuation complaints. A jolt may be felt under braking. Only N62TU.
  2. CCC: The programmable diamond MFL button does not work when set to "Next entertainment source" when vehicle is in motion.
  3. CCC: The customer occasionally has poor radio reception after the vehicle was programmed with Progman V23.x or V24.x.
  4. The speedometer and tachometer needles shake when the vehicle is idling.
  5. CCC: Slow response to inputs made when using controller after startup.
  6. CCC: A high frequency whistling noise intermittently can been heard in radio mode
  7. CCC: Navigation system pop-up arrow display missing. Refer to SI B84 61 06.
  8. CCC: CD/CDC track advances after key cycled. Refer to SI B65 32 05.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 24.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-12-510).
  1. CCC (Car Communication Computer): The "dynamic route" SVS (Voice Recognition System) option is missing on vehicles with RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information).
  2. Front side marker lights erroneously coded off after software update with Progman 23.x.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 23.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-09-520).
  1. CCC: Voice input system incorrectly states speed limit in "km". Refer to SI B84 24 05.
  2. CCC with Top HiFi (SA 677) loses surround sound settings after a Navigation system announcement. Refer to SI B65 08 06.
  3. CCC: The CD/DVD/CDC drive continues to spin even after the key is off. No audio output is heard. When the customer returns to the vehicle the audio CD is on a different track. This is most noticeable while listening to audio books on CD.
  4. CCC: The customer states that sporadically, it is not possible to acknowledge the "Accept" button on the navigation system disclaimer screen using the controller. Refer to SI B84 20 06.
  5. CCC: Radio failure after entering the destination in the Navigation system via the voice input system. Other audio sources are not affected.
  6. CCC: Sporadically the radio continues to play after the key is turned off. This fault occurred after programming the vehicle using Progman V19.1.
  7. CCC: After changing the road map scale using the voice input system; it is not possible to change the map scale using the controller.
  8. CCC: The audible warning gong sounds intermittently after the vehicle is started and cannot be turned off unless the vehicle key is cycled. No check control message is displayed while the gong is sounded.
  9. CCC: The radio audio cuts out briefly in FM mode only while driving. Vehicle already has the tuner profile corrected as per SI B65 26 05 and fault code CCC-ANT "DACA" hardware reset fault is stored.
  10. CCC: The radio station that is currently being listened to intermittently changes to the next station in the station list. This can happen every 2 seconds
  11. CCC: Check control gongs and PDC tones have no audio. Other audio functions operate correctly
  12. Blower motor stays on with key off. Refer to SI B64 01 06.
  13. The speedometer and revolution counter needles shake when the vehicle is idling.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 22.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-06-510).
  1. An implausible engine oil level message may be displayed while driving at temperatures below 32°F (0°C). Vehicles produced from 9/2005 with N62TU.
  2. On the CID (Central Information Display) "Service" menu, an "Engine Oil Level" selection is now shown after being the vehicle was programmed with Progman V21.2. Vehicles produced up to 9/2005 with N62. Perform complete vehicle encoding.
  3. Turn signals not working, hazard lights not working, headlights are always on with ignition on, CC message "Light system malfunction" is displayed. The light module is in emergency mode. Vehicles produced up to May 30, 2006.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 21.01.00 (Target data Status E060-06-03-515).
  1. The stored station list is intermittently empty on CCC equipped vehicles. However it is still possible to change stations using the steering wheel buttons.
  2. CCC Navigation displays incorrect vehicle position. Refer to SI B84 10 05.
  3. CCC: Audio switches off briefly for 5 seconds with RDS active. Refer to SI B65 26 05.
  4. After programming the CCC with CIP 19.x or Progman 20.x it is not possible to store radio stations.
  5. The CD-Player (in-Dash) keeps playing after key off. CCC equipped vehicles.
  6. CCC: Loss of audio in all modes. Vehicles equipped with Top-HiFi. Refer to SI B65 02 06.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 21.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-03-510). (IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not perform software update on E64 (6 Series) with this software version)
  1. The "Head unit is not programmed correctly" message is displayed in the CID. M-ASK equipped vehicles only.
  2. The stored station list is intermittently empty on CCC equipped vehicles. However it is still possible to change stations using the steering wheel buttons.
  3. CCC Navigation displays incorrect vehicle position. Refer to SI B84 10 05.
  4. Evaporator ices up after a long drive. Refer to SI B64 04 05.
  5. CCC: Audio switches off briefly for 5 seconds with RDS active. Refer to SI B65 26 05.
  6. After programming the CCC with CIP 19.x or Progman 20.x it is not possible to store radio stations.
  7. The CD-Player (in-Dash) keeps playing after key off. CCC equipped vehicles.
  8. CCC: Loss of audio in all modes. Vehicles equipped with Top-HiFi. Refer to SI B65 02 06.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.01.00 (Target data Status E060-05-12-510).
  1. While driving, the SMG control module switches to emergency program. SMG Fault Code 5101 (Hex) "Analyze hydraulic sensor" is stored. (E60 M5 only) Refer to SI B23 01 06.
  2. Check Engine Light is on, DME FC "2F4F vehicle speed plausibility" (N62TU only).
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.00.00 (Target data Status E060-05-12-500).
  1. Poor Idle quality after a cold start. N62TU engine.
  2. Engine juddering/idle speed surging when it is cold. N52 engine.
  3. Engine pinging under light load. N62TU engine.
  4. After programming the CID (Central Information Display) using Progman V19.x, the CID is blank and fault "A469 Internal Electronics Failure" is stored. Progman 20.00.00 prevents this programming failure. If the fault already exists the CID needs to be replaced.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.02.03 (Target data Status E060-05-09-535).

No software corrections included in this version of CIP

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.02.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-530).

No Software corrections included in this version of CIP

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.01.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-530).
  1. CCC (Car Communication Computer) poor AM reception.
  2. Increased AL (Active Front Steering) sensitivity at low speeds under 30 mph.
  3. "High Battery Drain Message" in CID (Central Information Display). Refer to SI B61 06 05.
  4. CCC equipped vehicles with telephone, call fails when dialed using linked sequence ("p" for pause) stored phone numbers. Refer to SI B84 18 05.
  5. The audio keeps playing if the vehicle is switched off for up to 3 minutes (until vehicle enters sleep mode). The audio cannot be switched off with the rotary knob. Only vehicles with CCC (Car Communication Computer) are affected.
  6. Sporadic CCC resets (screen blanks out briefly and CCC restarts).
  7. The "Check Engine Light" is illuminated and fault codes, 2882 and 2883 "Mixture Too Lean", is stored in the DME (Digital Motor Electronics). Refer to SI B12 16 05.
  8. AL FC 6141 "Engine Dynamics Monitoring" stored in the AFS module. Refer to SI B32 13 05.
  9. Increased AFS (Active front steering) sensitivity when driving at a low speed of less than 30 mph. Refer to SI B32 14 05.
  10. Loss of power while decelerating and turning or coming to a stop. Refer to SI B12 20 05.
  11. Dead battery caused by MPM (Micro Power Module). Refer to SI B61 12 05.
The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-510).
  1. Power seat movement, seat heating and PDC (Park Distance Control) all fail simultaneously.
  2. SZL (Steering Column Switching Center) FC "94E7 – LWS relative wiper angle incorrect"
PROCEDURE
For all vehicles, on a customer complaint basis only, refer to the following procedure and warranty information.
  1. Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B, using
    Progman 25.00.00 (
    Target Data Status E060-07-03-510) or higher.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
Refer to KSD
Labor Operation:
Refer to KSD

I removed some of the older PROGMAN(CIP) versions as they did not apply (too old) to the M5/M6 . But they are in the pdf file attached.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Thanks. I intend to get the update at some point. I will run, not walk, if the update really ameliorates the "Slow response to inputs made when using controller after startup" issue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
+1

getting faster responses after startup would be very nice. Also the voice command system is very slow to respond just after startup.
Nice to know what to complain about when trying to get this update under warranty.
BUT, I would like to know what kind of bugs this new version introduces. I just got my eyebrow lights working and it would be a pity to loose them again or something else like it. However, I probably can't wait that long so next week I will try to get it done. Very curious to the new graphics as well.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Thanks. I intend to get the update at some point. I will run, not walk, if the update really ameliorates the "Slow response to inputs made when using controller after startup" issue.
+1
When trying to navigate to any of the submenus (i.e nav, entertainment, etc.) after startup, the iDrive takes me to the main 'I' menu. Only after repeated attempts and a few miles of driving does it finally work. Very irritating.
Unfortunately, I like the 'eyebrow' lights off and V25 will 'fix' that issue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Maybe not. V24 was supposed to fix it and it didn't. Only after reprogramming the LCM (Light Control Module) again and seperately did my eyebrowe lights come back on. So in your case you might just get lucky and just tell your dealer not to do this LCM update again after it has failed while loading V25.

Unfortunately, I like the 'eyebrow' lights off and V25 will 'fix' that issue.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The first one to get the upgrade needs to report as to the effectiveness and any unwanted side effects.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get my car back monday with the update. Will keep you guys posted when I get it back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Damn, I just got my car a couple of weeks ago that thought I was just imagining this. Good to know this is a bug and there'a a fix out. Can't wait til my first service.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks Dave! Hope to meet you soon ...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I agree. This is rather annoying.

Another issue: when scrolling through various lists on my iPod, it sometimes kicks me back to the top of the listing! ARGH!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Okay...so I'm glad it's not just me. #5 and #6 are definite issues for me. I know people sometimes complain about the computer being slow. Well...it was EXTREMELY slow yesterday when my wife started going through to the radio menu just after I started the car. It took her about 2 minutes (and no I'm not exaggerating) just to get on the entertainment menu, drop down to the station selection and change the radio station.

Also, I thought maybe my cell phone or radar detector was causing the intermittent whine in the radio. It's been annoying me for the last month, and I thought it must be some piece of electronics in the car. I've got to start complaining to my SA about these things more often, because they're showing up in the fixes! Time to call in and get an appointment with a loaner car (usually takes 2-3 weeks for a loaner to be available). Will have them turn the LEDs back on, and reset my auto-headlight sensitivity (also reset by v24 back to "high" after I had them adjust it to "normal" awhile back).

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Many thanks for posting this info :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
700 Posts
now i wanna get my software updated.. but will be another 10K miles before next scheduled service... what excuses have you guys thought of to bring your car in ahead of time?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I also get the sw updated next friday. It appears this gives me time to cancel if it is buggy since others are getting it done even before that. Just asked my dealer and it is out. No problem to get it updated under warranty.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
my beast is going in on tues for the dinan rear end thing again, so what should i just complain about 1 or more of the problems listed and then they'll just do the v25 ??

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just told the dealer my radio reception was sometimes bad and my i-drive is very slow after startup. And if I remembered correctly this only happaned after updating to V24 which was necessary to get the eyebrow lights back on. Just pick a few and you should be good to go.

my beast is going in on tues for the dinan rear end thing again, so what should i just complain about 1 or more of the problems listed and then they'll just do the v25 ??

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
I just told the dealer my radio reception was sometimes bad and my i-drive is very slow after startup. And if I remembered correctly this only happaned after updating to V24 which was necessary to get the eyebrow lights back on. Just pick a few and you should be good to go.
So will we start a betting pool what features will stop working with V25? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts