BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Minor fixes to things they broke during PROGMAN 23.xx releases, including the fix for the MOST iPod interface they broke with 23.02. (does not say this but it was a quick patch to 23.02 and is incorporated into 24.00.00). Full text in the PDF attachment. Also updated list of PROGMAN releases in FAQ sticky.
SI B 61 14 03
General Electrical Systems
December 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 14 03 dated September 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Software Errors Corrected with Progman

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 24.00.00 (Target data Status E060-06-12-510).
  1. CCC (Car Communication Computer): The "dynamic route" SVS (Voice Recognition System) option is missing on vehicles with RTTI (Real Time Traffic Information).
  2. Front side marker lights erroneously coded off after software update with Progman 23.x.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
After reading other posts on the 'smoothness' of SMG with the software update and the automatic bypass of the splash screen, I really want to get the latest version. Since I have to bring in my car to get an airbag fault reversed, I thought this would be a good time. Problem is I don't have any obvious glitches. JamesinLV mentioned using the CD changer run-on problem as an excuse to get the latest update.

1st of all, do they actually check to see if I have a problem, or will they just take my word for it and do the update?
2nd, would I get progman 23.x or is this automatically superceded by 24.0?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1) They will attempt to duplicate/replicate your stated problem. In this case it would most likely prove to be true as per a Service Bulletin this problem was not fixed and now anticipating a March 07 for fix date (lots of Audio related changes slated for March 07). This despite at least three PROGMAN versions supposedly addressing and fixing this particular problem. You may wish to try using “screen blanks out when I select NAV or iDrive screen blanks out intermittently (generally a real problem).

2) You will always get the latest version in the dealers hands. Some may not even know they have the latest or even what it is. Always ask for a copy of the “Measures Plan” or “Final Report” when you turn car in to be supplied to you in the completed paperwork at completion of service. Either or both of these reports will include the Target Data Status which is the way BMW tracks version level information. And even if they do not upgrade you will at least know what version you were and still on. You can translate that information to PROGMAN (CIP) level using the list I supply in the FAQ section under software version information.

bmwbonehead said:
After reading other posts on the 'smoothness' of SMG with the software update and the automatic bypass of the splash screen, I really want to get the latest version. Since I have to bring in my car to get an airbag fault reversed, I thought this would be a good time. Problem is I don't have any obvious glitches. JamesinLV mentioned using the CD changer run-on problem as an excuse to get the latest update.

1st of all, do they actually check to see if I have a problem, or will they just take my word for it and do the update?
2nd, would I get progman 23.x or is this automatically superceded by 24.0?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
cobradav said:
1) They will attempt to duplicate/replicate your stated problem. In this case it would most likely prove to be true as per Service Bulleting this problem as not fixed and now anticipating March 07 for fix date (Lots of Audio related changes slated for March 07). This despite at least three PROGMAN versions supposedly addressing and fixing this particular problem. You may wish to try using “screen blanks out when I select NAV or iDrive screen blanks out intermittently (generally a real problem).

2) You will always get the latest version in the dealers hands. Some may not even know they have the latest or even what it is. Always ask for a copy of the “Measures Plan” or “Final Report” when you turn car in to be supplied to you in the completed paperwork at completion of service. Either or both of these reports will include the Target Data Status which is the way BMW tracks version level information. And even if they do not upgrade you will at least know what version you were and still on. You can translate that information to PROGMAN (CIP) level using the list I supply in the FAQ section under software version information.
Thanks cobradav. I'll try those things.

·
Registered
218 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
After reading other posts on the 'smoothness' of SMG with the software update and the automatic bypass of the splash screen, I really want to get the latest version.
I was one who has reported increased smoothness of shifting as a result of a recent software reprogram. My complaint(s) were that the AC blower kept running after the ignition was turned off, and a "phantom" "Transmission failure" (Red Cog of Death) warning in i-Drive. The reprogram was scheduled based on the AC blower problem - the Red Cog error occured after the first problem did. These were not "manufactured" excuses BTW - I really DID have those problems.

I can confirm that the version I got does indeed automatically bypass the "Accept" screen (after about 5 seconds or so); it also includes support for TPM (a 2007 feature - my 2006 only has hardware for FTM) and also shows a warning that the vehicle could roll if you shut off the ignition with the SMG in neutral even if the emergency brake is on.

It also most definitely has improved SMG shifting - so much so that it's almost like getting SMG IV.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
12Special said:
and also shows a warning that the vehicle could roll if you shut off the ignition with the SMG in neutral even if the emergency brake is on.
That warning has been around in older versions of the software...you probably only noticed it for the first time now.

The rest of the changes are very interesting!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
12Special said:
I was one who has reported increased smoothness of shifting as a result of a recent software reprogram. My complaint(s) were that the AC blower kept running after the ignition was turned off, and a "phantom" "Transmission failure" (Red Cog of Death) warning in i-Drive. The reprogram was scheduled based on the AC blower problem - the Red Cog error occured after the first problem did. These were not "manufactured" excuses BTW - I really DID have those problems.

I can confirm that the version I got does indeed automatically bypass the "Accept" screen (after about 5 seconds or so); it also includes support for TPM (a 2007 feature - my 2006 only has hardware for FTM) and also shows a warning that the vehicle could roll if you shut off the ignition with the SMG in neutral even if the emergency brake is on.

It also most definitely has improved SMG shifting - so much so that it's almost like getting SMG IV.
Thanks 12Special. I may try the AC blower excuse although I know I don't have that problem. The run-on CD changer may very well be an issue with my car (I've never used it:)), so I'll probably go with that one.

Kees: As far as the indicator arrows, these only illuminate if the car is parked in neutral without the parking brake with the 'old' (22.x?) software.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
Kees: As far as the indicator arrows, these only illuminate if the car is parked in neutral without the parking brake with the 'old' (22.x?) software.
Oops...you're right. So this warning coming up when the handbrake is on is a new bug/feature in version 24.xx?

·
Registered
218 Posts
kees said:
That warning has been around in older versions of the software...you probably only noticed it for the first time now.

The rest of the changes are very interesting!
Before the recent reprogramming, I was actually running the original program from a November 2005 build date so I skipped the earlier implementations of that change - I would have noticed it if my car did it - as it was I noticed it immediately the first time I stopped the car.

But my interpretation of the inclusion of support for TPM is that the software is for '07 vehicles (as well as previous years). I think this is significant because some recent posts suggest that '07 beasts with SMG shift better than previous cars. In my case, I have an '06 with a software upgrade to what seems to be an '07 version - and shifting is very definitely improved. I really commonly use only two shifting modes - D4 (around town) and M mode (S5, P500S, EDC sport) outside of town but I would comment that these modes are dramatically better.

S5 seems to emulate the "shift & lift" process so many describe as the smoothest way to shift SMG - but you don't have to lift - just hold the throttle steady and click the paddle and let the computer do its thing.

I've been one who has actually always used D modes (but only D4) around town - I had the AA program (now overwritten - I will be having it put back in) which made a real improvement - but the new PROGMAN takes this to a new level.

To be realistic, SMG is not Selectronic - it's NOT an automatic gearbox and it will never be as smooth as an automatic - largely (IMHO) because there isn't a torque converter to smooth out shifting and decouple (even if slightly) the engine from the drivetrain - so you will feel every slight buck and twitch of the engine and throttle. That said, with the new program I would say that in D4 mode the SMG is fully as good as a highly skilled driver could possibly shift a 4000 pound car with a 500HP engine - except that I believe it's much more consistent in doing so that the same driver would be. I think that's all we could expect of it.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
12Special said:
But my interpretation of the inclusion of support for TPM is that the software is for '07 vehicles (as well as previous years).
How does that work? Because the MY2005/6 cars don't have TPM. Is it greyed out or are the sensor values just set to zero? Does the new software still retain support for FTM?

·
Registered
218 Posts
kees said:
How does that work? Because the MY2005/6 cars don't have TPM. Is it greyed out or are the sensor values just set to zero? Does the new software still retain support for FTM?
A changed menu item in the I menu is "Vehicle / Tires" (used to just be FTM as I recall) and on the Units menu, I now have an option to select units (psi is set on my car) for Pressures (presumably tire pressures if TPM was installed). But when I access Vehicle / Tires it shows only FTM and not TPM or actual tire pressures - and shows FTM as active (and resettable) so it seems that FTM is definitely supported and still functions as before the reprogramming.

I can't actually get to any menu to read tire pressures or show TPM data - I suspect because there are none being reported to i-Drive.

I'm sure that BMW thought this through fully enough to know how to deal with software that supports TPM if installed, but "falls back to" FTM if there are no sensors - this could even be a toggle set by the dealer after the software is loaded based on which system (TPM or FTM) the hardware supports.

One other "bug fix" which I have been monitoring but not mentioned before is that since day 1, if I parked the car in my garage (where access to a satellite is marginal or non-existent), the next time I started it the radio had dropped the SAT channel I was listening to and gone back to an FM radio station. The normal (and irritating) drill in the morning would always include waiting for a lengthy boot of i-Drive, then turning off the PDC display (because by this time I had backed out of my garage), Accepting the warning, then accessing the Entertainment menu and changing back to SAT. I didn't always have to actually be in my garage to experience this - 80% of the time all I had to do was stop the car long enough for i-Drive to "go to sleep" and I'd have to do this irritating drill.

However since the reprogram (although the i-Drive boot is still long) the radio remembers that I was listening to SAT and starts back up tuned to the last channel I was listening to. The drill is now to simply forget about i-Drive and just start driving. Down the road a bit I just toggle to Entertainment so I can see the information about the SAT program I'm listening to and by this time the Accept screen has automatically been bypassed. It should have been this way all along.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Friday I get my IPod install and I was hoping for V24 and hopefully it will be V24 instead of V23.2 with a fix. If they don't have V24, I could always claim a new update because my sidemarkers don't light up which should be fixed in V24 and got broken in V23. Nice to know I actually got V23, because no one could confirm that at the dealer.

I guess because I always had V23, I also always encountered smooth SMG ops. It should be very easy for software to do the "lift the foot" technique because of the electronic throttle. Hopefully after Friday I can tell if there is a difference between V23 and V24.

About the tyre pressure. BMW used to have sensors in the rimms, but the batteries in these sensors drained so quickly that they had to be replaced all the time. While having these sensors, you could actually see a picture of the car on the i-drive screen with tyres. They would be colored green if all pressures were OK. I too can select between PSI, BAR and some third option I can't recall at the moment. BMW got rid of the sensor system and uses the ABS computer to see if a tyre looses pressure rapidly. If the ABS sensor senses andincrease in one tyre compared to the opposite one, there must be some leak. I guess the selection of BAR, PSI and xxx is just something they forgot the take out, because it doesn't have any meaning now.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Bunker37 said:
About the tyre pressure. BMW used to have sensors in the rimms, but the batteries in these sensors drained so quickly that they had to be replaced all the time. While having these sensors, you could actually see a picture of the car on the i-drive screen with for tyres. They would be coloured green if all pressures were OK. I too can select between PSI, BAR and some third option I can't recall at the moment. BMW got rid of the sensor system and uses the ABS computer to see if a tyre looses pressure rapidly. If the ABS sensor senses and increase om one tyre compared to th opposite one, there must be some leak. I guess the selection of BAR, PSI and xxx is just something they forgot the take out, because I doesn't have any meaning now.
The pressure sensors you are thinking about are the older RDC system like installed on the E38 7-series (and maybe the E65?). This measured the tire pressure using sensors in the tire valves. At the same time some E38 7-series and the E39 M5 used the RDA system - which uses the ABS sensors to detect variances in the tire rolling circumference and alert of drop in tire pressure.

For the MY2005/6 the E60 M5 has the FTM system which is similar in functionality to the RDA system on the E39 M5. From MY2007 onwards the E60 M5 uses a tire pressure system again - TPM. More details in this thread.
Tire Pressure systems: FTM (MY2006) vs TPM (MY2007). That's the reason for my question about the new software release supporting both FTM and TPM.

(Acronyms rule! :prof: :grinyes: )

·
Registered
985 Posts
FTM

May I remind you that this is a family friendly board. LOL!!!

:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
So what do you make of this?
I got this out of the E60 workshop documentation. The book was written when the M5 was not released yet, so this is based on the E60 545i. But still an E60. I could be wrong and I will figure it out and post back.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Interesting - my guess would be that the RDA and FTM type systems don't work well with runflats where the rolling circumference of the tire doesn't change much with a drop in pressure. The E39 & E60 M5 doesn't have runflats so they could use FTM instead of RDC.

My guess would be that the FTM system is cheaper as it uses the existing ABS sensors.

Big question of course is...why did BMW revert to RDC for the MY2007 M5? Did the sensors get more accurate and/or cheaper?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i just got my ipod adaptor installed yesterday and i have a butt load of problems

1)the brightness of the idrive screen doesnt work stuck on the dimmest setting.
2)the entire i drive screen freezes alot for long periods of time
3)the ipod only works on cd1 can never select a song and only works from steering wheel.

im takin it back soon and if they can't fix it im gonna have them remove it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oops, hope that is some local problem which won't happen to me on Friday.:ices_angel_g:

I don't think you can downgrade the software to a previous version. You can remove the IPod and have the CD-Changer installed again, but I don't think this will change the brightness problem. (Not sure though)

I called my dealer and they don't have V24 as of yet. They don't even expect it on Friday so I told them my sidelights wouldn't get fixed. I guess that's a good thing because that gives me yet another free software update after the IPod install just to get these sidelights working again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
kees said:
Oops...you're right. So this warning coming up when the handbrake is on is a new bug/feature in version 24.xx?
I think it's a new feature in late software - previously setting the handbrake would silence the alarm - now it takes the handbrake AND the gearbox in gear to silence it. This is more a feature than a bug as it is more secure to leave a manual transmission in gear when you park the vehicle.

bmwbonehead said:
Thanks 12Special. I may try the AC blower excuse although I know I don't have that problem. The run-on CD changer may very well be an issue with my car (I've never used it
), so I'll probably go with that one.?
Actually, though I was aware that some on this forum had the blower motor problem and that it was a software bug, I knew that I didn't have it and I was thankful and happy that I didn't - I stopped being so happy when I actually had the problem. So the problem really does exist and even though you haven't seen it (yet) it could happen to you at any time if not fixed with the software update. AFAIK it does not leave a code behind if it fails to shut off. So if it DOES happen to you before you get the dealer to reprogram your car, make a panic call to your SA and ask him what you have to do to get the AC blower motor to stop because you're parked with the ignition off and it's still running and restarting the car or manually stopping the AC didn't shut it off either. He should check into the complaint and discover that there is a software reprogram that fixes the problem. It may stop on its own eventually (mine did - while I was actually on the phone with the SA).

After reading the 24.00 bug fix about the side marker light not working with 23.xx I'm trying to figure out what version I actually have. My sidemarker light illuminates if the turn signals are activated, or if the 4-way emergency flashers are active, but not if just the headlights or parking lights are turned on. This behavior matches what my wife's '06 325xi does so I assume that I don't have the 23.xx bug and thus possibly have 24.00. Can anyone comment on when the sidemarker lights on their car illuminate and when they fail to with 23.xx?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts