BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I'm making good progress on getting my car where I want it to be, of course I'll have little time to enjoy it all before winter really hits.

This weekend my car got the following:

Stoptech ST40 BBK
Refinished Style 65's from Prince (running staggered for now, will swap to square come spring 2019)
Dinan rear sway bar with beastpower brackets and powerflex poly bushings.

The brakes are excellent, way better pedal feel and I can feel a new sense of lightness in the front end. My old brakes were pretty low mile but I can still feel a big improvement.

Full album: https://offroadkarter.smugmug.com/2000-BMW-M5/Stoptech-ST40-and-Refinished-Style-65s/

Next year I have a little bit of suspension work to do which will most likely include Dinan springs with Koni struts. I also really need to get an exhaust on this car, I've had these supersprint magnum mufflers sitting in my garage for almost the entire time I've owned this car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Good lucking underside of car!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What lift do you have? I am so fargin jealous :laugh
This!

I did work on my car and suspension work on our VW and boy would a lift have made a big difference.
It's actually not my lift, it's a Challenger E-10 I believe. It worked very well, I plan on getting a Challenger 4 post for car storage to go along with a Rotary 2 post once the new garage is finished.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll be really curious about your long term st40 impressions. Do you track your car? I had some knockback issues on my STI with ST40 on the track even though they felt great on the street. I haven't seen many (also haven't looked for any) reviews of the ST40s on the M5.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I'll be really curious about your long term st40 impressions. Do you track your car? I had some knockback issues on my STI with ST40 on the track even though they felt great on the street. I haven't seen many (also haven't looked for any) reviews of the ST40s on the M5.
Have the ST40 front only kit for about 10 years. No tracking.

Pedal feel and initial bite are drastically improved. Much more confidence and easy to modulate. I did add stainless steel braided brake lines and run RBF 600 brake fluid. Makes even street driving much more enjoyable.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have the ST40 front only kit for about 10 years. No tracking.

Pedal feel and initial bite are drastically improved. Much more confidence and easy to modulate. I did add stainless steel braided brake lines and run RBF 600 brake fluid. Makes even street driving much more enjoyable.

Regards,
Jerry
I don't track my car, I have pretty much the same comments as gsfent. This kit has been around since 2002 and was developed specifically on a e39 m5, so it should be easy to find reviews about it. Everything I've seen was very positive including from people who tracked the car.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Everyone's comments on the front ST40 kit is just echoed by me...which got me thinking. If one asks, "what is the single best modification to the E39 M5, taken in isolation?" I think the answer is the Stoptech front BBK. If you include dollar value as a variable, the answer would quickly fall to the Dinan rear sway bar.

However, I'd rate the Stoptech BBK far above square setup in terms of its impact on the driving experience since it is apparent on each and every single brake application (far less "squish", excellent pedal feedback) whereas the square setup, while fantastic dynamically while cornering, has its drawbacks in terms of tramlining, especially as tires wear down. Changing brake pads on the ST40 is super fast and easy also.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If anyone has Stop Tech ST40 front calipers for sale, please message me. I'm also interested in the ST20 rear calipers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
nyc951
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing