BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a french owner of a BMW M6 05/2006 with 60.000Km (sorry for my english...). I don't use the car very often and the battery discharges very often too. When i must use it (after 2 months without driving) i restart the car with cables and other car, after driving about 150-200kms and using the car the next days it's ok.

Today i repeat the same but the LED's DSC and DTC appeared with others like, pressure of tires or "automatic start assistance" if i remember well.

So do you think it would be just a battery problem or more serious in your opinion?

One year ago i had a problem next to a discharge of the battery with the power steering, she was hard and after few kilometers all was ok....

I hope my message is understandable and thank you for helping a french guy.++

·
Registered
555 Posts
welcome :)

if you are on original batter you MUST change it. BMW's with electrical systems before 2008.5 are no good

secondly i highly recommend you buy the BMW advanced battery charger (part # 82 11 0 026 663). surviving on jump starting the car is no good. make sure to hook up the charger under the hood.

if you can pull codes that would be even better. my first step would be to get that battery taken care of though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer.

In your opinion you think it can be a battery problem so? I think it's the original batter so i must change ok.

Ok for the battery charger too. However i don't understand "pull codes"?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Is it possible for you to keep the battery on a trickle charger (maintainer) full time while sitting? Even with a new battery, the amount of time the car sits will run down the battery, and you will preserve your battery investment if you can keep it topped up. Mine is never off the charger.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you for your answer.

In your opinion you think it can be a battery problem so? I think it's the original batter so i must change ok.

Ok for the battery charger too. However i don't understand "pull codes"?
Bad Batteries do cause a lot of warnings to go off in our cars so changing the battery is probably a good idea.

Our cars store error messages in their computers when something is not working correctly. "Pull Codes" means having a dealer or other car repair shop with the right software read those codes in the car's computer to tell you what the car thinks is wrong. Again, a bad battery can cause a lot of codes to be generated that aren't really what is going wrong but it is always good to check those codes.

Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree with you, i think i haven't choice, to solve my battery problem i must to maintain full time while sitting otherwise i'd still have problem.

Can you give me the name of your trickle charger please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
when i changed the steering wheel trim on my car it required disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. after i was done and i turned the car on it disabled my DTC, DSC and hill assist. turned the car off and let it sit for a while and then turned it back on, and everything was fine. our batteries make our cars trip out.

the charger is called the BMW advanced battery charging system (part # 82 11 0 026 663)

·
Registered
687 Posts
I totally agree with you, i think i haven't choice, to solve my battery problem i must to maintain full time while sitting otherwise i'd still have problem.

Can you give me the name of your trickle charger please?

Thank you.
Mike Miller of BMW Car Club of America Roundel Magazine recommends this charger if you don't want to go the BMW factory route: (don't know about its availability in Europe though)

I recommend a Deltran Battery Tender Plus (www.batterytender.com) for storing these
cars longer than a week. The Battery Tender Plus is not a trickle charger, which will
overcharge the battery. It is a voltage-sensing battery maintainer, which sense when
voltage drops below 12-volts and then activates at a 1.25-amp charge until battery voltage
reaches 13.5-volts. Then it reverts to monitoring mode. Stay away from trickle chargers –
they are not for use when the car is stored unattended.
It is not necessary to access the remote-mounted battery to use the Battery Tender Plus.
The Battery Tender Plus connects to the positive (+) power tap under the hood, which is
located under a black plastic cover marked (+). The ground connector of the Battery
Tender Plus connects to any underhood ground including the grounding lug which is
located near the positive power tap. The unit also comes with a hardware cable, which
can be connected to the power tap and grounding lug and routed to the grill area or under
the bumper for ease of use.

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your answers and especially your advices on chargers.
First i will change my battery and i will buy one of this charger.

Can i change my battery alone or i must to go at my dealer shop? At the end i'll go in a BMW store to check this codes and control if everything is ok.

Again thank you and i hope you're right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so my dealer do the job. What kind of battery do you use in U.S? Is there an international good brand that i could find in France?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts