BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i´m new in this forum and a new owner of a M6, Model 2005. Sorry, my english is not the best, i´m from Austria.
Yesterday i cleaned my car and found out, that there is something sticky on the oil carrier of the steering.
The sticky stuff is just on the top and also on the cover, so i wonderd myself a little bit, i didn´t see this, when i bought the car.
And if the gasket is leaky, how could the sticky stuff get onto the cover?!Because the bottom(the lower part/other half) of the oil carrier is dry and there is no oil at the engine or somewhere else, just on top of the oil carrier including the cover and it is very sticky.
May it come from the outside (just dirt?!) or is the oil carrier leaky? Did anyone had the same problem?
German language answers are also welcome :)

Thank you for your helf and i attached some pics for better understanding.

greats

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you mean that the dealer had overfilled it?
where is the scale? (dipstick?)

on the cover?
no risk of getting air into the system, when opening it?

regards

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There have been posts about power steering failure with the M6. One recent caused quite a wreck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The day before yesterday, there was an on and off weird sound comming from the engine compartment. I was a block away from the dealership, so I just drove in. They said the powersteering was leaking oil. They had to get autharization from BMW to fix it. They call me today. It will be done tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
today i was at my bmw dealer and they told me that this is normal, because there is a small hole in the cover for pressure equalization.
and here are a lot of hills and after "racing" around a little bit i was parking on a hill with 20 degree rise, so it "should" came out here.
Is there really this small hole for pressure equalization?

regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts