BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a sprint booster with selector switch. On the box its specifies for 2001+ 5 series Automatic inc. M5

I followed the directions with letting the system get to sleep mode before disconnecting any wires. Plugged in the connectors and before buttoning up everything I decided to see if it threw any codes. I got engine malfunction with the red line jumping up to 4.5k RPM. Plugged in my diag. cable and pulled code 2B05 which has to do with pedal function. Removed the sprint booster and the car is back to normal.

Anybody experience this or have any tips tricks to get this thing to work?
I contacted Sprint Booster but their voice mail is full and haven't returned my email.

Not sure if relevant but my mods are
Catless headers
Evolve Intake
Muffler bypass pipe
Ess stage 2 tune

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Did you reset/clear the fault codes? When I installed mine it threw a check engine light and codes were related to throttle pedal and I cleared it and it's been good. I can't remember if you can plug the cable in backwards? I remember when I bought mine that was a topic that got brought up a lot.

Reactions: Xeno

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup I cleared the codes and restarted the car but again the red line jumped up to 4.5k with engine mal. codes
I tried to see if the connection was backwards but there is only one way this cable can be plugged in due to the plug design.

One thing to note is when I press the start button twice (without pressing the brake for engine start) I would get the same problems mentioned (red line jump and engine malfunction on the dash)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What is the part number of the one you have?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Any bent pins?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally! I just got this sucker to work.

This time I put the car in sleep mode (doors open lights off everything off on the dash) unplugged the pedal, threw in the sprint booster then woke up the car by opening the passenger door and waited for everything to shut off again. Once the car was back in sleep mode with everything off I started the car and bingo no codes and no crazy red line.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pins are good and the part number matches the one needed for the car.
Thanks guys! After a well deserved warm up I'm off on a test drive.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I went to restart it for it's test drive and I got the same symptoms again. Limp mode RPMs are steady at 1k with the redline at 4.5k

For the past hour and a half I've been re-trying my version of the install and still no go.
The serial number on the sprint booster plug is A1 2014769
The serial number on the box is SBBM0012S

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Hmm sounds odd but i'm sure you're frustrated at this point. I remember a while back someone installed it "backwards" and just had to readjust it and it was fine. I will look for the link when i have time later.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
So I went to restart it for it's test drive and I got the same symptoms again. Limp mode RPMs are steady at 1k with the redline at 4.5k

For the past hour and a half I've been re-trying my version of the install and still no go.
The serial number on the sprint booster plug is A1 2014769
The serial number on the box is SBBM0012S

Any ideas?
That part number on the box is the same one I have for my car. Something must be wrong with your installation. I too also remember someone getting theirs plugged in backwards like LeeDan mentioned.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't think it can be installed backwards. The pin side of the harness goes into the receiver harness/pedal and installing the harness upside down is really difficult to do because there are plastic like wings on the plug so they can't be installed any other way.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Weird as they have made this that it cannot be plugged in backwards, the earlier version did have this trouble though.

I installed mine and have never had an issue in years. Maybe ask for a replacement and see if that works :confused:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tried plugging it in the other way and it doesn't snap in or click like how it does the way I've been installing it. Pretty frustrating but I'm not ready to give up yet. I got it to work once means it can happen again...

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have the same model as I have and it sounds like you followed the right procedure. Just make sure everything clicked in place to both the throttle connection and for the switch. Could just be lose on either ends. If it still doesn't work, just get a replacement and try again.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
m5bpro Does your sprint booster only install one way as in it can't be installed the wrong way / up side down?

I'm giving it one more shot before I give up on it. I have the door open and I'm going to give the car a good 20 mins for the entire system to shut down /sleep mode before I install it again

·
Registered
85 Posts
m5bpro Does your sprint booster only install one way as in it can't be installed the wrong way / up side down?

I'm giving it one more shot before I give up on it. I have the door open and I'm going to give the car a good 20 mins for the entire system to shut down /sleep mode before I install it again
Yes, it only goes in one way. Also, if you have CA feature in your car, keep your keys far away since the car activates when the key is close by.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup I have CA and I leave my keys inside my house when I work on anything electronic for the M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts