BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys my 06 M5 is having some issues. It starts and runs good while its cold but only till it gets warm. When it is warm, if turned off it will not start back up. The service engine light is on and the car is in limp mode with RPM only going up to 4000 (or somewhere around there). I checked the codes and it is reading misfire on all 10 cylinders. No other codes, just misfires from cylinder 1 to 10. I reset the codes but they come right back. After it is warmed up sometimes it turns off and will not start back up for a few hours until the car is cold again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
How many miles do you have? Sounds like a coil pack and/or spark plug issue. My friend's E46 M3 just a week ago had a misfire on 3 cylinders and it was his coils. They fail spontaniously and in the most random time. Car drove perfect to his house.. andnot even 15 minutes later... bam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
car has 39k miles on it. it sounds fine when cold but when it warms up it just dies. it will crank but not run when it is warm. i will have to wait for the car to cool down to be able to start it again. misfire on all 10....would a bad cam shaft sensor cause this?

·
Registered
407 Posts
No, on my 2006 5 series i had fault codes for intake AND exhaust cam pos. sensors. When i was having the issue, the car wud go into limp mode randomly on the highway and would rarely throw a SES light. The car would always run tho, at any temp, and a temporary solution was to restart the car n it would fix itself for a good bit. is your idle very rough? When the M3's coils went his idle was rougher than sandpaper. you might only be running a certain # of cylinders if its that bad. unless you have been running lean and your plugs are fouled.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i had someone with some good computers come out and do a scan today. we got "throttle actuator incorrect" as soon as the car is turned on. maybe its a programing issue ?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Maybe throttle position sensor? ICV or sensor? (Idk if the E60's have this) Looks like it needs a GT1 diagnostic. Dealership may be able to send someone over to you and diagnose it at your home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well no news yet, they haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. they think there may be a blown head gasket but more tests will be done tomorrow. i was thinking it could be the mass air flow sensor but if one was bad why would it have misfire on all 10 cylinders? wouldnt it be one side only (bad side) ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Got a call from the service guy at BMW. The tech checked the spark plugs and they were wet. Called me asking for $2000 authorization to pull the heads out to see what is going on. Told them no way! Drove the car home, took the spark plugs out and cleaned them. Put them back and started the car for about a minute. Removed the spark plugs again and sure enough they were drenched with oil. All 10 of them are covered with oil on the business end. I guess this opens up the parts/labor canon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
also i discovered that there is significant oil residue in the left side air filter housing...and the mouths of the throttle body (all 4) on the left side were oily as well. i will remove the valve cover tomorrow to inspect for damage....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read somewhere a while back that theres a valve in these cars somewhere that can go faulty. Its a check valve and when it fails you get a pressurised crankcase, which may cause oil blowback when cold.

Its a very long shot but worth checking that before you rip everything apart. Sorry, i cant remember many more details. Remove your oil cap with the car running and check if theres a pressure release.

also are you sure the car hasnt been over-filled with oil?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i changed the oil myself and its got about 9.5Liters of oil in it. the oil gauge shows about half way so i dont think its overflow. i removed the valve covers today and found no obvious signs of damage anywhere. i sprayed some carb cleaner in the combustion chamber and left them open to dry just in case there was trapper oil in there. it deff not leaking from the valve gasket. i have also cleaned and burned the spark plugs and will reinstall tomorrow to see what happens. i have been looking into the valve problem you remember reading about but so far no info on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts