BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a call from a friend who said his gear got stuck in third and wont release. He said he was flooring it and then backed off, then floored it and tried to change but without hope. Any ideas what have happened ? Does he need a new gearbox ? Thanks

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
You may want to try bleeding the clutch system Black. I had a similiar expereince on my 540 a couple years back and the car got stuck in 5th! I managed to mangle it into 3rd and drive it home. A quick bleeding of the system got me back to normal. You may want to try that first before coming to the conclusion that your tranny is junk. Worst case scenario, you waste a couple hours bleeding. Hope this helps and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TC,
I will pass the info to my friend and hope it works.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Change the transmission and tell him to stop driving like an idiot!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can't point you to any technical information, but I remember reading somewhere that this was a particular problem affecting some earlier M5 gearboxes.

Specifically third gear - it would get stuck in gear.

Perhaps someone has a reference?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had this situation with my 2000 M5 and the dealer replaced the transmission at no charge with a "reconditioned" one. It may have actually been a new unit since the car was so new as was the E39 M5.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Easy way to tell if it is the clutch is set a throttle setting that doesnt accelerate or decelerate the car, and try to get it out of gear. Find someone who is used to shifting a manual without using the clutch, and see if he can get it out of gear. Otherwise it looks like something might be fried.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys i think he fried it! I was over his place today and tried pulling it out myself but it wouldnt come out. He also had a mechanic check it before i came over and the mechanic said it needs to be replaced :crying2:

·
Registered
517 Posts
My 15 year old gearbox is just now showing signs of wear. ??????

·
Registered
530 Posts
Shifter Linkage anyone? Just a WAG.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, it happened to me last year :noSMG: and the dealership changed the transmission on the warranty….. I’m so Lucky :hihi: ……………………….

Black…No overall parts and he has to change the whole transmission :(

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Welcome to the M5 world! And may God bless our local BMW dealers too for being so professional and stocked up with spare parts!

Oh boy if I only had some TNT!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts