BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I went recently to a drifting school where most corners were left. Immediately after that I noticed that my mirror has a part on the left side which does not get dark in the night as the rest does. I know that the mirror is darkened by a fluid inside it. Is it possible that the fluid moved to the right from the centrifugal force and how can I recover it? It has been 5 days since then and the spot still remains.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Hi guys,

I went recently to a drifting school where most corners were left. Immediately after that I noticed that my mirror has a part on the left side which does not get dark in the night as the rest does. I know that the mirror is darkened by a fluid inside it. Is it possible that the fluid moved to the right from the centrifugal force and how can I recover it? It has been 5 days since then and the spot still remains.

Thanks.
New mirror needed. Do a search for Magna Donolly. Here is one of the discussions:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/94479-large-bubble-mirror.html

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
929 Posts
Are mirrors so sensitive? It was about 5 degrees Celsius (41 Fahrenheit) which is neighter too hot, nor too warm...
It's a design fault. Copious detail on the problem and how to solve it all hidden under the search button, masses of it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a design fault. Copious detail on the problem and how to solve it all hidden under the search button, masses of it.
Thanks, I found several threads on the topic. I found only solutions of the type "order new one" or "order a replacement" which unfortunately do not work any more or do not work at all for European owners like me. Is there a solution that could help me fix the problem myself, which I did not find?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replace glass

I, too, have a European model. If you're not fussy, remove the mirror, bust it out of the frame, take the frame to a glass shop and they will cut a replacement mirror for it for a few dollars. Of course, no more darkening, so you have to move the mirror at night like we wll used to do in the dark ages. All electrical controls will still work.

Brnnji

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a spare mirror (rectangular not oval) I will sell. I bought it as I hate the oval one on the M5 as it seems to have blind spots in the *missing corners*, but the wife likes the oval one. I'll sell it to you reasonable. PM me. From what I hear, MD has not been answering phone calls or replacing their own faulty mirrors.

Bill

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to thank you all for the help and also tell you that I got a new mirror from the Euro Plus waranty of the car (so I had to pay only 90 bucks). Mirrors are usually not covered by this waranty but a guy in the dealership made me a favour and presented it so that they cover it.

I will still keep all your advices for future reference - who knows when the new mirror will fail.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thanks, I found several threads on the topic. I found only solutions of the type "order new one" or "order a replacement" which unfortunately do not work any more or do not work at all for European owners like me. Is there a solution that could help me fix the problem myself, which I did not find?
Magna Donnelly replaced mine free and my beast is a Euro model..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts