BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need some help with a problem that BMW can't seem to figure out. I have a 2007 with smg and comfort access. When I park the car, I leave the smg engaged in gear but put the shift lever in the neutral position after the car is off. If it sits for more than an hour or so, when I go to start it, the first push of tube button only turns on the electronics but the engine does not turn over. It seems like the car is slow to put the smg into neutral and usually takes a second push of the start button to get the transmission to go into neutral and then the engine kicks over. Does anyone else have this problem? The dealership has a hard time replicating probably because they don't let the car sit for long enough. My service advisor admits that he was in fact able to replicate it once but they wont do anything about it. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have an answer to your problem but I have a question that may help. Why would you switch the car out of gear into N after turning the engine off? The manual that comes with the car on page 56 states to leave the car in gear when turning off for SMG. Maybe leaving the car in gear after turning the engine off and only putting the transmission into N just before starting would solve the problem. Just a question and suggestion that might help.
Ken

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Try leaving it in 1. Ajax suspects your problem will cease after.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Will start leaving smg lever in gear and see if that helps. My service adviser was totally clueless, he asked me why I would leave the smg engaged at all when parking the car. They have no idea as to the recommended procedures for their own cars.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So leave the car in gear then turn it off?
And then put it into N and then start the car?

I have been putting the stick into N then turning it off, have I broken my car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, your car is broken. You might as well throw it away or you can just give it to me :wroom: Your car is fine, the only reason thtat they recommend leaving it in gear is so that it doesn't roll away if the e-brake fails...just like a regular manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You car is fine bro. When you push the start button, immediately put the car in N by moving the stick to the left. You will see car go in N on the dash. Your beast will start right up. BTW, always leave the car in gear when you park it. Sometimes the pull break will fail, trust me...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Btw Matt that is if you have SMG which it sounds like you do. I little scary the dealer does not know how to start the car.

·
8,369 Posts
I agree with Kgati. When you turn your engine off and the SMG is in gear - moving the gearshift lever to Neutral after the engine is already off puts your SMG system out of sync.

SMG is a manual transmission and designed to be left in gear (1st or reverse) when the engine is off.

Here you go, page 51 of our owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I've tried leaving the smg lever in the 1st gear position but it hasn't helped. It seems like the computer is just slow to respond when it's first waking up. I get in the car, put lever in neutral, press start button and.......no start! Almost always kicks on the 2nd time. Dealer told me that I'm expecting the car to respond too fast and that it just can't keep up with me. Sounds like they just don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry the suggestion didn't help. Either keep bringing it to the dealer or find another dealer to look at it. I don't understand how it is normal for the car to be slow to respond. You should be able to get in car switch to N and fire the beast up.
Ken

·
8,369 Posts
If you press and hold the start button for 2 seconds does it help?

Sometimes when I press my start button too quick my car wont start either.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
This may sound simplistic but make certain that you are pressing the button all the way until it stops. If you let go when you first have a hint of engagement, it may not be enough time to complete the starting cycle. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
It can be fix dude, dont worry. When you push the start button, immediately put the car in N by moving the stick to the left. You will see car go in N on the dash. Your beast will start right up. BTW, always leave the car in gear when you park it. Then your good to go. You can ask more BMW repair questions here if you cant still fix this one. goodluck:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Armand....are you saying I should press the start button before I place the smg lever in the neutral position? I've tried holding the button down for more than 2 seconds and pressing it hard, neither one helps.

Reactions: whatheheck
1 - 16 of 16 Posts