BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I feel pretty stupid here, but I have gone through 2 of the clips that secure the flex clutch line to the hard clutch line. I am able to easily line up the groove in flex line with the slot in the hard line, but when I try and push the locking pin through it seems that the ends of the pin spread out and get caught in the cup of the hard line as there is a mark in the cup. I smoothed out the nick in the hard line with a dremmel, but it is still getting stuck.

This is driving me crazy. I changed this part on my e39 wagon a year ago without any problem but can't get this one to lock in place. Has anyone else had this problem or am I really just an idiot. My next thought is to heat the end of the clip up so it is more malleable and won't get stuck, but am up for other suggestions as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently had the same problem also.

Connected the two lines together, then put the "U" clip in. Doesn't work, as OP mentioned the edges of the clip are sharp and it gets caught on the insides of the female side of the connection. Eventually it makes a deep groove in the metal that seriously makes it impossible for the clip to go through all the way, no matter how hard you push.

I needed to drive my car so I ended up cutting a bit off of the end of the clip, thus allowing it to easily go in. Then to prevent the now loose clip from falling out, I use a zip tie around and then on top some Ultra Black RTV.

However, I don't think zipties are good for safety critical stuff (even with RTV the plastic ziptie can break), so next time I am underneath I will remove the ziptie/RTV, put a small strip of butyl rubber tape all around, and then put a small hose clamp on top of butyl so nothing can move around. Butyl tape is the sticky black stuff that is in the foam vapor barriers behind the door panels.

For reference, this is the clip we speak of, BMW Part number: 21521165451

Stupid design... why is the metal of the hydraulic line softer than the clip??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I still have the solution described in #3, no issues with it now 5 years later.
It remains a mystery to me.

🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hmm. I've replaced a few lines/hoses and slave cylinders over the years. I don't remember having any trouble. Maybe start the clip, shove the line in, then push the clip the rest of the way? I can't remember what those look like, but some clips are actually designed to have spring action. You put the clip all the way in place, then shove the line in until it snaps over the spring clip. Again, I don't know if these work that way, but something to consider while underneath.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was able to get it to work by pulling the line slightly up. I guess was jammed in to much causing the line inside the housing not to line up for the clip. After that I did it several times and worked every time with ease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts