BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a company who is selling cams for the M5. They have an ad in this month's ROUNDEL magazine, which has the new E60 M5 on the cover.
This company is known as DENON Performance Products, Inc. they are located in British Columbia Canada. 1-888-468-0688.
I spoke with the owner "Ron" and he told me the price for the E39 M5 cams are $2290.00. This is a BMWCCA price. How is this price? Is it considered to be an average price, expensive, or is it a low price? Has anyone heard or spoken with any Dinan reps. at their California headquarters to learn the price of the Dinan cams???
Thanks.
Robert :cheers:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Re: Pricing for "cams" for our E39 M5 sedan......

mmmmm

Denon does audio equipment thats kinda wierd. While dinan is a ver respected and not check bmw tuner. To which are you refering or is it just another company with the same spelling?

·
Registered
797 Posts

FAST 5 said:
Has anyone heard or spoken with any Dinan reps. at their California headquarters to learn the price of the Dinan cams???
Thanks.
Robert. I spoke with Dinan several times regarding their cams for the S2.

1) You have to have the full S2 package (which you will soon have).
2) Cams themselves are $2300. Labor, on the other hand, can be up to 50 hours :eek: depending on the exact match of cam to engine.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this to my beast. It's only an additional 11 hp (according to Dinan).

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Jayson said:
mmmmm

Denon does audio equipment thats kinda wierd. While dinan is a ver respected and not check bmw tuner. To which are you refering or is it just another company with the same spelling?

Jason,
yup,..... Its DENON, as in the audio company, I know..........
The ad is on page 125 of the 10/04 edition of Roundel.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

x703jko said:
Robert. I spoke with Dinan several times regarding their cams for the S2.

1) You have to have the full S2 package (which you will soon have).
2) Cams themselves are $2300. Labor, on the other hand, can be up to 50 hours :eek: depending on the exact match of cam to engine.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do this to my beast. It's only an additional 11 hp (according to Dinan).

Jeff,
Im glad to hear from you that Dinan quoted you $2300.00 for the cams, because that was what I was quoted from this "other" company.
Isn't any way you can speak to whoever you originally spoke with and NARROW DOWN the labor time, so its not a carte blanche type situation when it comes to the labor time??? 50 HRS is just plain SICK !!!!! :eek:

PS The interesting thing was the owner of the DENON auto parts company told me that the SCHRICK cams were good for at least 30 HP for our M5 car's. Huummmmmm................ :3:

·
Registered
797 Posts

FAST 5 said:
... NARROW DOWN the labor time...
Yep. 50 hours is outrageous although they say that that's worse case.

If the cams fit in your engine without clearance issues, the labor time could be 5 hours. If there's potential interference, the tech will have to do some grinding. If every cylinder presents a clearance problem, that's when you get 50 hours.

They wouldn't say where the cams are coming from. I'm assuming it's Schrick.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Jeff, Anyway you can ask your contact guy what the likely hood of running into that problem scenario of having to grind down whatever needs grinding? What's the percentage of this being the case? We have to be given some type of idea, instead of getting into the project 100% blind !
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
797 Posts

FAST 5 said:
Jeff, Anyway you can ask your contact guy what the likely hood of running into that problem scenario of having to grind down whatever needs grinding? What's the percentage of this being the case? We have to be given some type of idea, instead of getting into the project 100% blind !
Any thoughts?
I did and the response was that it depends on the specific S62 engine.

I'm on the fence about doing this. The guys at BMW Towson were asking me about it yesterday. I told them I'd do now it if they could guarantee that the labor charge would be under 10 hours. They declined.

I'll talk with them again next week when I pick up my beast.

By the way Robert, when you do the S2, are you going with the Stage 2/3 suspension with Konis or the JRZs?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeff,
As a married man with two little boys, I can't go hog wild with my mods, and therefore have to do them little by little & section by section. So, for now it will be the motor, and the suspension will be done possibly next Spring, getting ready for summer. Your smart to tell your installer that your "CAPPING" the installation labor time by 10 hours maximum, and they declined to take the job of doing it! Im surprised but not shocked at their reply. :mad:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Why not just buy the Schrick cams? I think they are the same ones Dinan is selling, without the Dinan markup. Schrick is the OEM for BMW. We already have Schrick cams in our S62s- just a more mild profile. As I understand it, the Schrick cams for the S62 will fit fine and after a few hours driving the ECU will adjust for them and the gain is in the 30hp range. The cams they are now selling were the original profile but they had to tune it down for fuel consumption/ slightly rough idle issues. So in a way, youd be just putting the engine to the way it was supposed to be. All that said, Im not doing this- at least not now, I don't want to mess with my engine. If it ever needs to be opened up, I would consider it.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of things Jerry..............

The price for the SAchrick cams sold by the above indicated vendor isn't any less than the cost of the Dinan cams. They are equal in price, being $2300.00. I was told that the cams could be simply dropped into the motor and it would be okay BUT software would be it run better, than simply having the cams alone. I was also told that power would be up by approx. 30 HP. So here is what I don't get, why is Dinan claiming that this particular mod is good for approx. 10 horse power, when others are saying triple that number????? Is it possible that Dinan's stage # 6 software which is required with the installed cams is actually reducing/limiting the cams true potential for power, due to engine longevity worries/concerns by Dinan??? Your thoughts on this please. Thanks.
Robert :viking:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Robert and Jeff,

The company "Denon" used to be named "Ron's Parts" and he was a high performance parts distributor and shop for European cars. The Schrick Cams are a good reliable grind when used for the right application. The company has a good reputation for quality parts. A good estimate of the hours needed should be located in the factory estimate to replace the factory cams at the dealer.

John

·
Registered
797 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Jeff,
As a married man with two little boys, I can't go hog wild with my mods, and therefore have to do them little by little & section by section. So, for now it will be the motor, and the suspension will be done possibly next Spring, getting ready for summer. Your smart to tell your installer that your "CAPPING" the installation labor time by 10 hours maximum, and they declined to take the job of doing it! Im surprised but not shocked at their reply. :mad:
My main concern with the cams is not necessarily 50 hours of labor but the fact that they have to do grinding inside the engine.

But, then again, 50 hours at most shops is $5000. So that's also a concern.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Why not just buy the Schrick cams?
I can't speak for others, but I would go with Dinan for one reason - the warranty. No doubt there are better options available for any mods to the M5, but none of them have warranties that are as "bulletproof" as Dinan's.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert

you might have graduated to be one of the smarter members here on the board. There is no doubt that the cams offer alot more power than dinan is claiming as it has been proved. You point about the power increase vs reliability is a good one but another just popped into my head.

What about dinans problems of we claim this and then cars dont get the same amount of power

I think they are trying to come up with a conservative number that someone SHOULD expect as a minimum..but i think you might have a valid point as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Guys,
Unfortunanetly individual performance gains of modifications to our engines don't add up to the same number as the sum of all these numbers. Whatever you do to your engine, you try to push more air or air faster through it. Adding a little more volumetric efficency to the S62 engine is hard and becomes even harder with every 10th of a percentage gained. What I am trying to say here is that the cams alone could add the claimed 30 hp but you can't expect another 30 ontop of 30 that have already been gained by other mods with the same purpose, mainly helping the engine breath.

As a side note, why would there be any grinding when installing a set of cams that were designed for a specific engine? Swapping stock cams is 13 hours in the book, I believe.

·
Registered
797 Posts
clauswagner said:
Guys,
Unfortunanetly individual performance gains of modifications to our engines don't add up to the same number as the sum of all these numbers. Whatever you do to your engine, you try to push more air or air faster through it. Adding a little more volumetric efficency to the S62 engine is hard and becomes even harder with every 10th of a percentage gained. What I am trying to say here is that the cams alone could add the claimed 30 hp but you can't expect another 30 ontop of 30 that have already been gained by other mods with the same purpose, mainly helping the engine breath.

As a side note, why would there be any grinding when installing a set of cams that were designed for a specific engine? Swapping stock cams is 13 hours in the book, I believe.
Claus makes a good point regarding HP gain in the S2. The 11 HP gain noted by Dinan is on top of the gain of the S2 versus OEM.

I am trying to clarify what "grindin" may be required during the cam install. I will post once I have the info.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
252 Posts
clauswagner said:
.....What I am trying to say here is that the cams alone could add the claimed 30 hp but you can't expect another 30 ontop of 30 that have already been gained by other mods.....
Agreed, which makes me wonder why Dinan requires the S2 package to be in place first :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts