BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crikey! hope you guys know how good you've got it - I bought a 1990 build e34 M5 recently here in Australia, nice original car, 240,000 kilometres, generally in very good condition and (like all the Australian M5s) pretty well specced and (of course) RHD

I didn't get it cheaply, but nor did I (I hope!) pay frighteningly over the odds (maybe some Oz members will correct me!), and it cost me the equivalent of around 13,500 pounds

I read these "for sale" threads and just about cry! (eg NickM5 looking for 4,500 pounds for a '91 3.6)

what did these cars sell for in the Uk when new? with australia's horrendous import duties at the time (not so bad now) plus taxes, a '91 M5 I think sold here new for the equivalent (at today's exchange) of around 70,000 pounds

I suppose I can comfort myself with other advantages - I lived in London for a year and still prefer sunny Brisbane...and I can say I am really enjoying the car

(ps "the tyranny of distance" is a term often used here in Australia to refer to the effects of the country's isolation)

·
Registered
546 Posts
It seems from my view that this holds true for most older vehicles in Europe. When I was a boy dad said any car older than 8 years was junk. This seems to hold true over the pond. Prices here in U.S. are also higher and original was about the same. A pristine car will get upwards of $20,000 US average would be around 12-15K.
Another factor is how hard is it to produce said cuurency. Bank exchange rates are not based on my job or income nor how available cash is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read these "for sale" threads and just about cry! (eg NickM5 looking for 4,500 pounds for a '91 3.6)

Looks like i need to sell my car over in australia ?! (i wonder how much it would cost to get it there ?????? )

·
Registered
868 Posts
AndyE said:
The original purchase receipt for my 95 Orinoco LE showed £58,300... I sold it with 149,500 miles in June for £7800.

Having said that, even this (my car for www.staples2naples.com) was £28,443 in 1992... and cost me £100 yesterday...

I had a mint one of these for a time. Absolutely brilliant machine for crusing motorways in. Was no slouch either.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
M5 powered said:
I had a mint one of these for a time. Absolutely brilliant machine for crusing motorways in. Was no slouch either.
My mum used to have one of those engines in her Omega 24V Estate. One of the final ones before the crappy MV6 came along. It was stealthy and quick, but the dash looked like crap even then. We had the same BBS-lookalike wheels on it. It ended up being stolen, but even the thieves found out the Omega handled like a pig, since they lost it big-time on some on-ramp. Car was bent beyond sensible repair, even though it was only 7 months old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nickm5 said:

Looks like i need to sell my car over in australia ?! (i wonder how much it would cost to get it there ?????? )
That's the trick - Australian import rules are very restrictive for cars built after 31 December 1988 - basically impossible for M5s - apart from "personal imports", which have to be owned by an Oz citizen overseas for 12 mths - I would love to use this method (via a relative living in UK) to import infinicar's RHD M5 touring, but as a guy who has owned too many different cars in too few years, worried that in 12 months I will have changed my mind! Haven't given up on the idea yet though...

On the upside, I can buy a new 335hp V8 for about 18,000 pounds!

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4009

1 - 8 of 8 Posts