BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to down the street to my local, well the closest independent shop to me. The place is called Auto Sports & Imports www.autosportsonline.com

After much discussion on this board, I am going to get my Thermostat replaced because I believe its stuck open and the engine is taking forever to warm out and is running cold. They quoted 125.00 for the Thermostat it's self and for 3.8 hours of labor and some new coolant as well, for around a total of 500 bucks. This seems alright, what do you guys think. I am trying to get my beast ready for the Midwest meet on April 12th. Thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There is a good write up on the forum about the DIY on this. It even has the part numbers and where to get the best price. I followed the directions and changed mine out in about 1.5 hrs including draining the coolant. Not a hard job at all. BMW dealer quoted me $750, so i guess $500 isn't too bad, but not good either.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112418

Read the first page of this thread.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't think I am confident enough to poke around near the engine, so I will get some other quotes from indy's near Chicago, but thanks for the input, I wish I could Do it myself. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
3.8 hrs sounds correct. I had mine done a year ago and that was the hr rate from 2 independent shops and a dealer. The actual dollar per hr is another matter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I guess I am just too damn old.... at 53 years of age to hear people asking if FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS is fair for a thermostat has my head spinning around like Linda Blair's head in the exorcist. That's the biggest rip off I have heard on this forum yet! What's a head gasket cost...ten grand or so???

Gheez, what have i got myself into...God help us.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alpine, send me a PM........ Where are you located? Maybe I can help you get it done yourself. I'm with x2 - $500 just sounds like a lot of money!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Alpine, send me a PM........ Where are you located? Maybe I can help you get it done yourself. I'm with x2 - $500 just sounds like a lot of money!!
Dano...thank you. You have helped me assure myself that I have not gone completely nuts-That may or may not be a good thing, but your offer of help is really cool. I realize the dollar isn't worth what it used to be, but I was going to go into work tomorrow and demand a raise!:applause::applause::applause:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts