BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 E60 M5 (with 54,000 miles on it). I'm the 2nd owner of the car, and have put on about 3,000 miles since buying it. Car runs great; no problems, complaints, or issues whatsoever.

Was thinking about getting some preventive maintenance done (e.g., fluid change service).

It's due for an oil change service, so I'm definitely having that done ($180 for oil, filter, and labor).

What other fluids should I have changed?

I'm thinking:

• Transmission fluid
  • Differential fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Engine coolant
  • SMG hydraulic fluid
Are these the main fluids that I should have done, or is this a bit over board?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

Edit:

• Transmission fluid
  • Differential fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • SMG pump relay
  • SMG hydraulic fluid
  • Fuel filter

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine has 56k and I'll have the samething done except the coolant. In addition, I'll replace the fuel filter as well.

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mine has 56k and I'll have the samething done except the coolant. In addition, I'll replace the fuel filter as well.
I think I'll add replacing the fuel filter to my list as well :cheers:

Reactions: 2Live4

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
not over board. You should establish a baseline if you haven't already.

I changed oil, smg, transmission, diff, brake, power steering, coolant 2wks after I took ownership.

google mike miller's old school maintenance

you can either buy the fluids and go to texas track works and have them do it all except the SMG. or go to UBS in Addison and have them do everything. I had it all done at UBS in Addison. They are a lot closer to me.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i don't think it's overboard at all. not sure your driving conditions there, but fluid changes are always good to establish a baseline as mentioned. i did all of this when i first bought my car even after the dealership said it's not due. sounds crazy but i'm anal like that.

Reactions: DocsV10 and Benzin

·
Registered
759 Posts
Have your spark plugs ever been changed? They are due at 37K miles, along with the engine air filters. Tranny and Diff fluid are due every 3rd oil change. Brake fluid is due every 2 years. Coolant and SMG Hyd fluid might be overkill, IMO. BMW coolant is "lifetime" which might equate to 100K miles. I would put SMG Hyd fluid in the same "lifetime" category.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not over board. You should establish a baseline if you haven't already.

I changed oil, smg, transmission, diff, brake, power steering, coolant 2wks after I took ownership.

google mike miller's old school maintenance

you can either buy the fluids and go to texas track works and have them do it all except the SMG. or go to UBS in Addison and have them do everything. I had it all done at UBS in Addison. They are a lot closer to me.
Thanks for the info!

I spoke to B over at UBS and I'm definitely going there. Had a really good experience with them in the past!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have your spark plugs ever been changed? They are due at 37K miles, along with the engine air filters. Tranny and Diff fluid are due every 3rd oil change. Brake fluid is due every 2 years. Coolant and SMG Hyd fluid might be overkill, IMO. BMW coolant is "lifetime" which might equate to 100K miles. I would put SMG Hyd fluid in the same "lifetime" category.
I changed the plugs about 1,000 miles ago (roughly at ~53,000 miles).

Air filters are fine, since I have the AFE drop-in filters. I just clean them periodically; other than that, pretty much maintenance free.

Tranny and diff are a must; I may pass on the engine coolant though.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't think it's overboard at all. not sure your driving conditions there, but fluid changes are always good to establish a baseline as mentioned. i did all of this when i first bought my car even after the dealership said it's not due. sounds crazy but i'm anal like that.
Doesn't sound crazy at all! I'm pretty OCD like that as well lol... Just trying to get some reassurance and security knowing that I've done some preventive maintenance.

Owning an M5 is an absolute joy, but an expensive hobby! :M5launch:

·
2,149 Posts
SMG pump relay in the ecu boxx... Cheap, easy DIY..
Also remember there isnt an exact way to change the hydraulic fluid, and you will have to de-pressurize the system before opening to drain, and to bleed after filling.. There is no bmw recommendation to change the smg fluid out, but some members have thought it would be better to change it out.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,272 Posts
I although not essential, I would add/insepct to the list:

wheel bearings
control arms
diff mounts

Our Beast are heavy and all the front end bits tend to wear out around your mileage -- at least mine did.

Reactions: DocsV10
1 - 12 of 12 Posts