BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys here's one for the brains out there, recently bought a 2002 model with 78k on her, full service history all spot on but being as fussy as i am i want to know what parts i should be looking to change before they fail, sort of a preventative maintainance plan if you like .Ive already changed clutch ,brake pads and bushes are next any ideas what should definatly be changed before it goes ,the missus thinks this is a stupid question ? lol

any help would be a great help :grinyes:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I dont have a list memorized but the FAQ and a search will get to your answers. Welcome to the board :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
spark plugs, fuel filter, o2 sensors, bleed brakes, I guess if u really wanted to u could do the fuel pump, tranny/diffy fluid I recommend royal purple, bushings... ya thats about all I can think of right now, o what the hell do an oil change to!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on the new car. You might be sorry you asked about PM and that I saw your thread :blabla:

I'm 3 months into a 2002 72k car and about halfway through this list, which I compiled from conventional wisdom on this board and my own paranoia. All are DIY-able. My goal is to get the car close to original condition before I consider performance mods. Also recommend a Peake code tool.

- Plugs
- The two power steering hoses at the reservoir, maybe the reservoir too as it has the filter built in
- Power steering fluid
- MAFs if they don't perform well enough in the "MAF Test"
- Intake air filters
- Pre-cat O2 sensors
- Cabin air filters (charcoal)
- Transmission fluid
- Differential fluid
- Fuel filter
- VANOS solenoid o-rings
- CPS (all 4)
- Vacuum hoses under plenum
- Water pump
- Pulleys depending on condition
- Belts
- Coolant
- Radiator hoses
- Fan clutch
- Fan
- Thermostat
- Oil separators with hoses

Some consider a timing chain tensioner around 80k, radiators can fail around 90k and a few replace the fuel pump at 100k. There are other items that break or wear like sway bar brackets, diff seals, flex discs but your PPI should have caught those.

I'm sure I missed something but this will get you started. I may be overdoing it but I plan on keeping this car.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
+1 in the fuel pump, they tend to like to die around 75k miles or about 7 years give or take. If you get more, you are on borrowed time. I would also put a fuel pump relay in for the sake of it as well. Bag the old relay and wire tie it to the harness inside the trunk below the relay location so if the new one leaves you stranded

I would bet your headlight adjusters are broken, you rear door vapor barriers are leaking, your thermostat is not long for the world, would start thinking about oil separators and all the grommets and hoses that go along with it, the fuel pressure regulator rubber vacuum hose, power steering hoses, fan clutch & fan, start thinking about all the rubber hoses under the hood, fuel tank breather valve and battery depending on the age.

And last, but not least read up about rod bearing replacement just so you can think about that as well. Not to scare you, but for you to at least be educated and prepared for the long haul.

Good luck with the new car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jees you guys are on it! thanks for all the support aswell i think there's plenty there now for me to be cracking on with thats a pretty good list and some top info .This is a massive help to me so a big thanks to every one who has replied ,i can start gettin my beast upto top spec before i start going crazy with the mods cos you know its gonna happen :grinyes:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
+1 in the fuel pump, they tend to like to die around 75k miles or about 7 years give or take.

140k on my 2003, 10/2002 mfg date so 8.5 years old.??????

I view a fuel pump as binary- bad or good. But not a performance factor. Worse case I tow it home...

Knock on wood

A

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Age-related (2001, 100k miles) things I saw while crawling underneath - crack around pre-cat O2 sensor bung, exhaust touching large cross-frame support, leak from one exhaust/header flange, flaking paint and rust around the 4 jack points, rubber in guibo starting to crack, fuel filter date coded 2003.

Underhood was generally in great shape. Only thing I found was the vacuum hose coming off #7 intake to the fuel pressure regulator was in bad shape.

Other stuff - headlights pointing at the ground 10 feet in front, HVAC fan brgs twittering when it's cold out, and head-turning whine from the secondary air pump.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I'm doing my bit to protect an endangered species.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Reactions: m5che
1 - 11 of 11 Posts