BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the better part of a year fully bringing my Oct '13 purchased M5 up to snuff, mechanically & aesthetically, I decided that I needed to pick up a second vehicle. I live in Portland, and it's raining, forever. My commute is always different, visiting clients all over the metro area, and I need something that has the capability for better gas mileage and to save the M5 from winter time wear and tear and mile clocking. I thought I would share what I decided on for this duty. Since I've seen many threads recently about what second vehicle to buy, here's why I chose a WRX.

AWD for PNW winter climate
Turbo
6speed
Easy to work on
HP/$ ratio is ridiculous
MPG when not in boost is great
It's finally less ugly than it's previous generation

Driving impressions..This is unmistakeably japanese. Plenty of road/wind noise, factory stereo sucks, I can tell the whole thing is going to start rattling soon, the interior is way better than every previous gen but still has a long way to go, I can barely feel the seat heaters, and the bluetooth is awful. However...after some choice mods this thing is so much fun for whipping around town that after 5 minutes behind the wheel I've forgotten all about bluetooth and heated seats. I dropped it 20mm, added some spacers to get rid of the hovercraft look, and got a tune. Picked up about 50whp/50wtq on the tune alone, and I'll probably snap up a j-pipe and retune in the near future for another 30/30. It's relatively light at about 3300lbs, and it's super flat in the corners, if a little pushy still.

It's been raining for two weeks solid here, and as much fun as this thing is, I've found myself in the driveway on more than one occasion staring up at the rain hoping it would dry out for a day or two so I could get the M5 out for a rip, because there is no comparison :M5launch: I'm glad I made the choice to preserve and save it for the summers and the few nice days through the winter.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I guess I've been in a cave. They finally got the styling on the WRX right! That should be an awesome compliment for the M5. Totally different, get to tinker with boost and stuff. Awesome choice.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yes, it's the new one. I saw your thread, it's right in your price range :biggrinbounce:
well - it would be useful for ski season. But the last one I drove was the previous models, probably 2011 or 2012 and I really disliked the steering feel. It was numb, lifeless and super light. Not sure I could live with that. I can always take the SUV up skiing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well - it would be useful for ski season. But the last one I drove was the previous models, probably 2011 or 2012 and I really disliked the steering feel. It was numb, lifeless and super light. Not sure I could live with that. I can always take the SUV up skiing.
The previous models were pigs and pushed really bad, this was THE reason I never picked one up. The chassis redesign on the new model is some crazy percentage stiffer, and while the steering is still a bit numb, it's way better than the old chassis. The paint however is notorious for chipping, so I'll be keeping my 1st gen 4runner with a 3.4l swap on mountain duty because of this. I had an '02 wrx way back, and the bottom half of front bumper had practically no paint left on it after a few 70+ day seasons. We use lava rock and liquid de-icer up here though, so you may not have to worry too much about the rock chips where you are.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
interesting. Lease rates are pretty good too - I'd probably go that route which is nice in CA because then you are only paying the sales tax for the portion of the car you are using, as you are using it. $300 and change a month with $2K down. Not bad - has to be a crazy low money factor. I did a similar lease on the Miata I had for just under a year and sold it at just over the pay-off price and I put zero down on that one. So really cost me very little in the end, fairly low risk.

I read the C&D review - that car does seem to have some promise. Maybe I should go drive one.

BTW - I'm not completely new to that type of car - I had a Evo IX, 2006 I think it was. Never warmed up to that car - too much turbo lag and interior was a total joke. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cars in general..

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW - I'm not completely new to that type of car - I had a Evo IX, 2006 I think it was. Never warmed up to that car - too much turbo lag and interior was a total joke. I'm not a huge fan of Japanese cars in general..
Haha, yeah if you're gonna compare it to an M's throttle response, any amount of lag is too much. It does okay though, especially after the tune. The new setup is twin scroll, and the turbo is mounted closer to the engine to reduce that lag even more. But even then, it still has plenty of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts