BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had a few issues crop up since the time I purchased the car in July, I called my extended warranty service to see what kind of coverage I had, they told me it covers all except wear and tear so she asked me to list the issues and she would let me know yes or no on coverage.

First I have the driver side mirror issue where it clicks in place too far down and it not usable for anything, I have to move it out of the locking position to even see out of it, the extended care service lady said it is not covered as it is an alignment issue and does not pertain to a motor or mechanical part.....I thought the mirror contained a motor?

Second I have a grinding noise from he rear wheel when the car is cold and when turning, I see that there is a fix for this by changing fluids so I assume this is not a warranty item?

Third I just received an increase emission warning yesterday, could be a bad o2 sensor but who knows, I see others have taken theirs back and had them replaced so is this a covered item?

Lastly my idrive software does not load up at start and shows a blank screen, it has happened four times so far and then suddenly starts working after 10 mins of driving, I was going to ask for the upgraded software but is this a covered item?

Sorry for all the questions but it seems the warranty people are quick to dismiss everything before you can explain what the issue is. The dealer is looking at the car this coming weekend but I want to know where I stand prior to that.

I own a 2006 M5 with 57k and have coverage till July 2012.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
As far as the rubbing sound when turning...there is a TSB on it...search and you will find it...

Interestingly enough...my 08 did not have this problem until I recently had the diff oil changed (on my own dime) as part of MY routine service...it is not a performance issue and I will leave mine alone for now

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Increased emission has been fixed, was driving around yesterday and a symbol of a gas cap came up so I checked the cap and it was loose. Tightened it up and after a few more journeys in the car the error went away. One down three to go.

·
Registered
911 Posts
do a search on the mirror on thios board as they have a video on how to fix it, if that doesn't fix it you can just switch the mirror selection button and it won't move when you put it in reverse, shoud'nt need it with the parking sensors anyway. Software updates are not covered by most warranty's. The problem with the I-drive may not be software related, could be a battery or altenator malfuction battery not covered, alternator should be. Could also be a faulty CCC and that is probably not covered either. Good luck

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LJ quick question, when I put my car into reverse only the passanger side mirror goes down not the driver side? Is that how it is supposed to work? The problem I have is with the drivers side and that one never moves when reversing.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
LJ quick question, when I put my car into reverse only the passanger side mirror goes down not the driver side? Is that how it is supposed to work? The problem I have is with the drivers side and that one never moves when reversing.
RTFM...and by flipping the mirror switch to the left...the passenger mirror won't go down either

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RTFM...and by flipping the mirror switch to the left...the passenger mirror won't go down either
I did which is why I followed up with my next question, flipping the switch may stop the passenger side mirror from going down but the issue is with the drivers side so flipping the switch will do me no good.

Thanks for your 2 cents.....

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yep that is how it is suppose to work. Like I said do a search, the fix was really easy and required no tools. Good luck. If that doesn't work it should be covered under your warranty as it does have a motor and sensors to tell it when to stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts