BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi To All

Gumball 2005 is just around the corner so the preparations have started early. So this will be our thread for info needed to survive 3000 miles and 3000 smiles .

Our first question to anyone living in Europe and the 13 countries we will pass through:flag:

Q1::wroom: The French police now work together with the British police so if you get caught speeding there you get the endorsements on your licence back in the UK aswell. Is this actually true? Do we know of anybody who has been done?

Q2::wroom: If Q1 is true do we know of any other countries that do the same?

We will post more questions over the coming weeks!!

P.S. Lonman can you give me the company details of the guys that manufactured your new fuel tank, as we need to follow suit?

Cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
181 Posts
France should not be such a big problem in this years rally as we directly go through Belgium or did I got something wrong?

The biggest problem I see at the moment is Italy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
PCP said:
France should not be such a big problem in this years rally as we directly go through Belgium or did I got something wrong?

The biggest problem I see at the moment is Italy.
To my knowledge we will do about 50 miles in france but we know the law there so we go slow (ish):M5launch:

Its the unknown from other countries I am interested in, I dont want to be flat out in hungary to find when I get home I have no licence:flag: All info appreciated keep it comingkinggf

Why what about Italy how bad are they??

·
Registered
208 Posts
I live in belgium, i can perhaps help with questions, but i've got no specific details.

Our speed limit is still 120km/h but that's probably not what you folks need to know.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Asserti said:
I live in belgium, i can perhaps help with questions, but i've got no specific details.

Our speed limit is still 120km/h but that's probably not what you folks need to know.
Radar Or Laser ?? What is there choice of weapon in Belgium?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm pretty sure they use radar. Never heard of laser here. The funny thing is that they announce every morning on the radio where they will stand. The less funny thing is that they just say the name of the highway, or a part :(

we've also got flashposts, something like this http://www.killerkip.be/gtavc/flitspaal.jpg
They are placed mostly on crossroad or on special dangerous places

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Asserti said:
I'm pretty sure they use radar. Never heard of laser here. The funny thing is that they announce every morning on the radio where they will stand. The less funny thing is that they just say the name of the highway, or a part :(

we've also got flashposts, something like this http://www.killerkip.be/gtavc/flitspaal.jpg
They are placed mostly on crossroad or on special dangerous places
Nice pic from Vice City:biggrin:

·
Banned
267 Posts
I was told points in ANY euro state can be given in the UK.

The thing however is will they bother ?
I reckon if you piss them off they will make an issue of doing the paperwork.

Morell, get caught, pay the fine or bribe and carry on your journey and dont piss them off more than necersary.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Not for Sweden. I have a few German bills I never have dealt with :1:

E30Gumball said:
I was told points in ANY euro state can be given in the UK.

The thing however is will they bother ?
I reckon if you piss them off they will make an issue of doing the paperwork.

Morell, get caught, pay the fine or bribe and carry on your journey and dont piss them off more than necersary.

·
Registered
289 Posts
In belgium you have to watch out for unmarked police cars, they are used more and more often.
If they can follow you offcourse because most of the times it aren't really fast cars. (Nissan Primera,..)
cherrsagai

·
Registered
181 Posts
pigginell said:
To my knowledge we will do about 50 miles in france but we know the law there so we go slow (ish):M5launch:
Good to know that.
I don´t know if it is true, but someone told me that the Belgium Police may impound your car if you are speeding to much. We won´t try out that.

pigginell said:
Its the unknown from other countries I am interested in, I dont want to be flat out in hungary to find when I get home I have no licence:flag: All info appreciated keep it comingkinggf
I don´t believe that there will be any big trouble in Hungary. They seem to like cash. Team www.3ezer.com wrote me an email with informations about the eastern states and Italy. I will post the email tomorrow.
Germany should be no problem for you guys. All they can do is fine you with a few euros. For us it may cause some trouble so we will be a little bit careful.
I was clocked in Austria with my X5 with 201 km/h (I did not know that it is so fast; the car papers say 200 km/h maximum speed) in August, last year. They fined me with 190 Euros and let me got. Make sure that you have a vignette for the Austrian highways. If you don´t have one they will fine you with more than 150 Euros.

Regarding Italy: There is less police. But I heard a few crazy stories of cars that have been impounded and not been given back until today. But you never know what is a nice story and what is a real fact. So I simply don´t know what we will experience in Italy. But we will be prepared.

That is all that I know at the moment.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PCP said:
Good to know that.
I don´t know if it is true, but someone told me that the Belgium Police may impound your car if you are speeding to much. We won´t try out that.

I don´t believe that there will be any big trouble in Hungary. They seem to like cash. Team www.3ezer.com wrote me an email with informations about the eastern states and Italy. I will post the email tomorrow.
Germany should be no problem for you guys. All they can do is fine you with a few euros. For us it may cause some trouble so we will be a little bit careful.
I was clocked in Austria with my X5 with 201 km/h (I did not know that it is so fast; the car papers say 200 km/h maximum speed) in August, last year. They fined me with 190 Euros and let me got. Make sure that you have a vignette for the Austrian highways. If you don´t have one they will fine you with more than 150 Euros.

Regarding Italy: There is less police. But I heard a few crazy stories of cars that have been impounded and not been given back until today. But you never know what is a nice story and what is a real fact. So I simply don´t know what we will experience in Italy. But we will be prepared.

That is all that I know at the moment.
Make sure that you have a vignette for the Austrian highways.:confused3

What is this???

·
Registered
181 Posts
pigginell said:
Make sure that you have a vignette for the Austrian highways.:confused3

What is this???
I don´t know the correct word.
It is a small sticker you have to put in you car onto the front window. It allows you to use the Austrian Highways for 10 days minimum. The price is about 10 Euros or so. You can buy it at the petrol stations in Germany and I believe you can also buy it in Hungary and for sure at the Austrian Border.

Ask for a "Pickerl". That is the word everybody in Germany and Austria will understand.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PCP said:
Ask for a "Pickerl". That is the word everybody in Germany and Austria will understand.
Cheers PCP:cheers:

Are you in for this year?

·
Registered
181 Posts
pigginell said:
Cool look forward to see you all again, nice site btw!:cheers:
Thank you.

Maybe we can have a few drinks on Thursday or Friday. cherrsagai

But the problem is: There are 3 month to go until the rally kicks of.:grrrr:

·
Registered
291 Posts
It was in MCN 2 weeks ago that the legislation to permit driving offences commited in europe to be punished in England is not in place, it is being argued for and against but it is not yet so. If and when it is, it will be for all EU countries.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

Q3: Does anyone want to see some more footage from last year?????:D

http://www.audiogalaxy.co.uk will post the rest of the link later!!

Robin is it ok to use the server for this film?? I have allready uploaded just give me the nod and the world can see:cheers:

Cheers

Pete

lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove lovelove

1 - 20 of 109 Posts