BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the e60 is attracting big premiums already. Here is a place for sale on Ebay for £6k - with 8 days to go. Apparently one place went for £21k.

I wonder how big the premium will be on the very first physical cars in the first month?

Just shows how good it is going to be :)

The ad on ebay is nothing to do with me etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=4526736166&rd=1

·
Registered
180 Posts
Jaguar said:
Looks like the e60 is attracting big premiums already. Here is a place for sale on Ebay for £6k - with 8 days to go. Apparently one place went for £21k.

I wonder how big the premium will be on the very first physical cars in the first month?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9837&item=4526736166&rd=1
I got £10k & £11k on my two imports. I had over "50" phone calls when I advertised my two slots in a Sunday paper.

My UK one is mine and don't anticipate selling it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
markf said:
strange,i can pick up an import at list easily at the moment,in fact not sure if the guy with a uk car has sold his yet ?
you can't sell UK allocation slots. BMW dealers in the UK won't allow it.

if you have placed your deposit and your name is against the order
then you have to pay the full amount , have the car registered in
your name and once you have driven the car off the showroom are
you in a position to sell the car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The eBay ones are usually nonsense - I bid on one a couple weeks ago out of interest - the auction was soon cancelled by eBay as the seller was just trying it on. There's one currently up where delivery is promised in April, the car's supposedly all specced etc, I was going to email the seller to see if he had proof of this for a laugh.

Usual story with these things - BIG premium for the first cars but once a few are on the road this madness stops. I talk from experience - a few years ago I had one of the first M-Class Mercedes, they were making stupid premiums for a start but I only got a grand over list as everyone else was at it after a couple months.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jaguar said:

That is because people who wanted an M5 but could drive a stick-shift can now get an M5. It will sell well but it is no longer the car it used to be.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi guys,

no matter how much i loved a new car i would
never never pay over invoice for it. i love cars
but the kick in the nuts my pride and dignity
would take would never be worth it. :mad:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I hate people selling car slots on e-bay!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rickcoin said:
That is because people who wanted an M5 but could drive a stick-shift can now get an M5. It will sell well but it is no longer the car it used to be.
Unlikely to be honest. Nearly everybody in Europe learns to drive in a manual.

In my experience, North America is the only region I've seen where manuals are considered special or different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M5inPA said:
hi guys,

no matter how much i loved a new car i would
never never pay over invoice for it. i love cars
but the kick in the nuts my pride and dignity
would take would never be worth it. :mad:
This was always my view - however I have thought about this recently (due to the fact my car will arrive after I have emigrated - I ordered a UK car a few years ago and have since decided to move to Spain so Right Hand Drive will be no good to me).

I had planned to buy an early car, enjoy it for a year and get our cheaply while demand is still very high. This worked well with my SL55.

Back to the subject. If I now sell my car at a premium, the new owner gets an early car, and providing he/she looks after it and runs it for a year he should sell at about list - hence he has lost the small premium - Probably less of a loss than buying at list in a year later and selling once demand has lowered.

Please don't start the flame wars - I did not order to speculate - I genuinly wanted this car. I decided to move to Spain last summer. I will probably put the premium towards a LHD car!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
plext said:
Unlikely to be honest. Nearly everybody in Europe learns to drive in a manual.

In my experience, North America is the only region I've seen where manuals are considered special or different.
Automatics were once a luxury option in cars in America and were made possible by cheaper fuel, more powerful engines, and greater wealth common in America and less common in Europe. These economics clearly had an impact on the driving culture. As automatics become better and reduce/eliminate the negative impact on performance and fuel consumption, they are becoming more popular in Europe as well.

Most people don't want to manually shift, all other things being equal. The market for manuals is largely being left to enthusiasts, and even that is threatened by technologies such as SMG and the economics of small numbers.

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
what burns me the most is when dealers do mark up their vehicles.
all it does is push away interested buyers and create ill will.
i just could never pay over MSRP. they'll make plenty of M5's....i hope!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
morebhp said:
This was always my view - however I have thought about this recently (due to the fact my car will arrive after I have emigrated - I ordered a UK car a few years ago and have since decided to move to Spain so Right Hand Drive will be no good to me).

I had planned to buy an early car, enjoy it for a year and get our cheaply while demand is still very high. This worked well with my SL55.

Back to the subject. If I now sell my car at a premium, the new owner gets an early car, and providing he/she looks after it and runs it for a year he should sell at about list - hence he has lost the small premium - Probably less of a loss than buying at list in a year later and selling once demand has lowered.

Please don't start the flame wars - I did not order to speculate - I genuinly wanted this car. I decided to move to Spain last summer. I will probably put the premium towards a LHD car!

It is very rare to make money on cars - you either get them on the cheap and sell at list minus some or you think ahead by looking at what desirable
cars are about to hit the market and place your deposits down for example the M5 or CLS55 AMG. I look at one of the pages in Autocar which lists
the current year and next years releases by all manufacturers.

Staying with the M5 for a second, 150 dealers with 3 cars allocated is around 450 for 2005. New customers are being asked to wait for 3 years with
the backlog of current customers who are not receiving the 450 allocation. Your right....keep the M5 for a year and you will be able to sell the car
for what you purchased it for, you only lose the premium for the car you have.

Keep it longer then you start seeing a gradual decline. When BMW release the face-lift (whenever that may be) then you lose even more but it
still depends on factory throughput. I remember when the E39 in 2001 came out with the angel eyes. Post 2001 all of a sudden look less desirable
which is what will happen to the 2005/2006 E60 two years from now. Its all about timing and availability.

To get around this I personally have pre-ordered for 2006/2007 both BMW and Mercedes and just time my sell before my new one comes which allows me to keep up with face-lifts of what have you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M5inPA said:
I was shocked at this from the USA in previous forum groups. I don't think this is allowed/tolerated in the UK.

Ferrari dealers were certainly not allowed to sell over sticker, and I thought it was the case in all amrks but I did notice my local Merc dealer put £20k on their first SL55 because it was second hand (It had been sold to a 'client' and then back to them after 200 miles). They stated they could sell second hand vehicles for market value. But new have to be at sticker.

It still seems very rare practise for UK dealers to add premiums. It sounds more the norm in the USA for high demand vehicles.

My brother is in the trade over there selling posh Honda's (Infiniti?) in Santa Monica.

·
Registered
4 Posts
M5inPA said:
I saw a BMW memo a little while back that said US production would be 1,100 units. With 345 dealers nationwide, and the larger SPG dealers getting the bulk of the inventory, there will NOT be enough M5's for quite some time. The list at my dealer has all been preped that a wait could be ahead. And although we do not mark up over MSRP for our client base, the supply vs. demand will drive the market up until all those in line have been served. Now some of those will wait a year for the manual, but most will want a car as fast as they can get it and will pay what is necessary to do that.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
BMWofNashville said:
I saw a BMW memo a little while back that said US production would be 1,100 units..
Is that for the entire year of MY2006 production or just the production for CY2005 (Sept - Dec)? If the former, there will be very few M5s for quite some time.

Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check this advertise on topmarques.co.uk. 80k for LHD. he must be joking !!!!

2005 BMW M5 V10 NEW MODEL LHD SMG AUTOMATIC,4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 5 miles, Sapphire Black, Full Black Leather, 5000 cc, NEW UNREGISTERED. VAT Q. Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Linguatronic, Garage Door Opener, Climate Control, Head Up Display, Electric Glass Sunroof, Electric Heated Memory Sports Seats with Lumbar, Bi-Xenons, Electric Sunblind, Multi CD, Logic 7 Hi Fi with DSP, Secrecy Glass, Rear Airbags, Tyre Pressure Control, Servotronic Steering, Auto Dimm Mirrors, Ski Sack, Madeira Wood Trim, Centre Armrest, Cruise Control, Sports Suspension, Full M-Tech Body Styling and 19" M Double Spoke Alloys. Bal of Man Warranty. VAT Q. Due In April. www.imperials.co.uk. £79,994.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts