BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to a tech at Dinan today and he told me that there is no possible power to be gained on paper for the E39 M5 while powerchip truely advertises gains over 10 rwp. Which is true? Does the Dinan chip make the car any different?

Also - The AA intake. I know the gains advertised are horribily exaggerated. What kind of numbers to people get to the rear wheels with this intake? Since the stock airboxes remain, I take it the AA intake doesn't even change the sound of the car..is this correct? Is the Gruppe M or Dinan intake a better bet? Sorry for the flog of questions, I am looking to spend the least amount of money for the most performance here.

So - which intake, which chip are the best?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
159 Posts
jhendershaw said:
I spoke to a tech at Dinan today and he told me that there is no possible power to be gained on paper for the E39 M5 while powerchip truely advertises gains over 10 rwp. Which is true? Does the Dinan chip make the car any different?

Also - The AA intake. I know the gains advertised are horribily exaggerated. What kind of numbers to people get to the rear wheels with this intake? Since the stock airboxes remain, I take it the AA intake doesn't even change the sound of the car..is this correct? Is the Gruppe M or Dinan intake a better bet? Sorry for the flog of questions, I am looking to spend the least amount of money for the most performance here.

Thanks,

Jason
Jason,
For the chip, Powerchip is the best. I had the Dinan installed first. A year later I switched to Powerchip and it is definetly better at all ranges.
Boz

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I think as far as function, Dinan and AA are about equal, although AA is less expensive and doesn't really have any "ram air" effect. ALso, a bonus with the AA is extra brake duct cooling. Also, the Dinan comes with IATS relocation while the AA does not and you have to add that. It's impossible to measure accurately if the CAI adds any HP, but I agree, I doesn't add 30HP. I did however gain 8-11 with just Supersprint mufflers and x-pipe and another 25 - 30 with Supersprint headers and racing cats and Powerchip software for the headers.

As far as software, it's true that Dinan software does not add HP. It only raises the rev limit and removes the top speed limiter...nothing else AFAIK. Powerchip does more, actually remapping A/F mixtures and I do believe that it DOES add HP. It certainly improves the "driveability" of the beast. It's hard to explain/describe. It's one of those things you didn't realize you needed it until you have it, take it away, and realize you can't wait to have it back. I've done this (not on purpose - dealer had to wipe the DME and also had to replace a DME once).
:cheers:

·
Registered
487 Posts
jhendershaw said:

Thanks,

Jason
Dinan told you that because there software bites. It only removes the top speed limiter and increases the redline a bit. Having had it installed on my car I am able to make comments like that. I had Bill at DA replace the Dinan software with the Powerchip and YES it is noticable. How can Dinan claim it does not add power. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If I change the mapping, change the A/F mixtures, of course I am going to gain power to an extent if done correctly.

As for the Dinan CAI... I would say little to no gain out of that one. I did notice a slightly faster acceleration (in my opinion) but I am not sure about a power increase.

The Dinan cans on the other hand sound awesome. Coupled with the SS Headers and X-pipe they sound rediculously good, IMO.

My .02 .. Talk to Bill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any deals(group buys, special m5board discounts) going on with the powerchip? I would have to run it on 91 pump since I am here in sunny San Diego - would it still be as effective compared to those who are fortunate to run 93. How much does the chip cost? Thanks again for the valuable information. I have about a grand to spend, already have a rogue ssk, tubi style exhaust, dinan strut bar. Is powerchip the best bang for the buck in the $1000 range?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Guys,

I will give my step-by-step opinion of the CAI/software gains. I started off with Dinan software (stage I). This software does not do anything. It only raises the redline and removes the govenor.....if you push the car that fast in the states. I then added the AA CAI and noticed a big improvement. At anything above 35, there was just an added boost of power. The slope was smoother, every gear was more powerful. In sixth gear, the car could still pull very strong. When I added Gruppe M, the power got even stronger, but only above 3500 rpm does the Gruppe M really add. It does add a lovely sound. Later I had added the Supersprint Exhaust and x-pipe after getting rear ended, and I felt a small gain. They claim a 7 or so increase in hp, and that seems about right. When I went to powerchip, and told them what mods I had, everything really came together. the power curve was very smooth; and in sport mode the car became almost scary. You could really feel the Gruppe M do its part and then when speed would increase, so would the extra power from the AA CAI.....so I would say the 25 hp increase would be a max at full cold air.

To sum up the increases:

Dinan stg I: nothing
AA CAI: noticeable increase, especially upper end
Gruppe M: noticeable above 3500rpm, and very, very nice sound
Exhaust: slightly noticeable, enhances the sound depending on which exhaust
Powerchip: expensive, but well worth the money, especially with multiple mods...very
noticeable increase

Hope this gives a simple analysis of these mods.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Save your money for headers, the only real power gain for the S62.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Boz M5 said:
Jason,
For the chip, Powerchip is the best. I had the Dinan installed first. A year later I switched to Powerchip and it is definetly better at all ranges.
Boz
I agree. I did not do before/after dyno comparisons, so I cannot state with certainty there is any measured power gain over Dinan software. But driveability was much better and car felt like it pulled smoother throughout the rev range. Headers did add a measured 30 hp at the rear wheels, but you need to adjust the software to account for the improved exhaust. With Powerchip, the adjustment was a breeze.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts