BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Company Representative for Precision Sport
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the day has arrived. We've finished inventorying the kit, the countless billet machined pieces, custom cast pieces and the water cut stainless steel pieces. Everything's here so it's go time. We like to keep the shop as clean as humanly possible, but with understanding that our work can get dirty from time to time.

During G-Power installations, it requires our utmost in focus and cleanliness, so we're extra-OCD on keeping the install area for this clean. If you've watched our last install's time lapse video, you know we aren't kidding.

We're really going above and beyond this time on the coverage portion of things, adding an additional camera physically mounted to the hood of the car so we'll have yet another angle for our next time lapse video.

Before we started getting into the tear down, we rigged up the gear in the bay for the video production.

Tripod our fabricator made to hang from the ceiling; pretty slick

Computer set up which is hard wired to both GoPro cameras, so we know we don't run out of memory for footage.

So with all that out of the way, it's time to get to work, here is the car one last time in N/A form

Working around a car with a vinyl wrap is really a nerve-racking experience, the wrap is really quick delicate. We carefully removed the bumper and masked the fenders with microfiber cloth.

MS65 about to be put in it's static-free baggie and shipped to G-Power in Germany for tuning.

Ho-hum; fan out, intake manifold off, etc

Now for the fuel rails, injectors and valve covers to be removed.

VANOS gears

Draining oil for the header install which will be soon

Time to drain the coolant to remove the radiator, as to free up space for installation of the brackets, and ease of access to the new belt routing system, which adds an additional 5 idler pullies to the stock ones.

This is a really clever feature of the S85's radiator, a little tidy drain knob

Just when you thought that finally a coolant drain job was nice and easy and CLEAN. . .you absolutely MUST remove both block drains to ensure all coolant is out, otherwise trust me, the rest will find it's way out through the front when the radiator hoses come off.

Tear down is complete, with the exception of the OEM headers which will be out soon.

That's all for now, much more coming soon. . .stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'll always Subbed for you guys , I love you works , straight and clean .

·
Registered
983 Posts
Great job! Thanks for all the photos. Can't wait to see the rest. Keep up the good work.

Mark

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Hope you havent miss last weeks best selling movie starring m5board.com :D

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-6kpW3zBeus?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Company Representative for Precision Sport
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A quick update here. . .a few other things going on at the shop have not let us get in the hours on the install that we've wanted. Between 3 E46 chassis reinforcements lined up, and the showroom being renovated, the M6 has been the night time project lately. No complaints from me on that, though. During the day, a lot of people usually stop by the shop to either say hello, or to see the M6, and we're always glad to show them what's going on. . .but at night it's down to business on the install.

The S85 is still letting coolant out from it's nooks & crannies, so we're getting the radiator out of the way, and hoping it stops leaving us little blue puddles on the ground under it.

Check out our little radiator holder we have. More on that item later down the road.

Expansion tank is out, the part that sticks out needs to be trimmed off for the carbon airbox on the driver's side.

The cover over the coils on the passenger side gets a trimming

Getting the vacuum lines ready for the eventual install of the bypass valves, as well as boost gauge later on

Not the greatest picture, but these really nice pieces G-Power mills to cap the oil drains from the intake manifolds to the oil pan.

We'll need to shorten the idle control lines a touch

Idle control holder trimmed, as well as the lines trimmed. . .just need some pex clamps for them now and they should be boost-ready

That's all for today, there will be an update tomorrow though!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Great documentation.. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
279 Posts

I would hate to be the employee that drops a tool or part on this table and cracks the carbon fiber looking surface :D

Great thread, very interested in the build!

Your shop looks surgically clean !!! I wish we had a shop with this level of care and detail within reasonable commuting distance... or a place that would ship my car there and back for a reasonable price :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would hate to be the employee that drops a tool or part on this table and cracks the carbon fiber looking surface :D

Great thread, very interested in the build!

Your shop looks surgically clean !!! I wish we had a shop with this level of care and detail within reasonable commuting distance... or a place that would ship my car there and back for a reasonable price :D
That surface is just a grippy tool drawer liner :)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts