BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 M5 that is located a couple hours from me from a private seller. With ~10,000 miles, it is still covered under warranty and maintenance from BMW. However, I won't see the car until I am picking it up. I've talked to two dealers about a pre-purchase inspection and one told me not to bother as the car was covered. Any thoughts? Is an inspection worth it? I know everything but tires is covered, but they will also inspect the exterior (scratched, dings, etc). Can they tell me anything that is helpful? I don't want to be surprised when I see the car for the first time.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, you have a couple of options here......I buy ALL of my cars based on price, mileage and mods......and consequently most of them end up being out of state because I am searching on a national level....those I ALWAYS have a PPI done by a dealer. AND I don't just ask, hows the paint? I ask are there ANY chips onthe hood.......if so HOW MANY.......you have to get VERY detailed in your questioning....however..the M5 I just bought just happened to be only 400 miles away.....so.........being a car still under warranty I didn't need to do a PPI BECAUSE I was bringing the funds with me........as you should be doing as well....any bank you might finance through will approve the loan and hand you a check and until the other party cashes that check.....your loan doesn't start. So...you go and get the car......if upon initial inspection..it passes your standards...you're good to go. If however it doesn't ......you walk.

Oh and I would call his dealer and go over the service history of whats been done to the car also.

Chris

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have them paint meter the entire car for you to see if there has been any panel work. You would be crazy not to have that checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts