BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the headlights were always the upgrade that pre-LCI owners stayed away from due to having the upgrade the LCM and rewire.

I just noticed this... an adapter... I wonder if it’ll work like it says. This is the first time an adapter popped up after multiple searches over the past year and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I sent them an enquiry yesterday just to ask if these where compatible with UK / Euro spec cars and they responded that afternoon with the following:

Hey,

I am confirming that these wiring adapters should definitely be compatible for U.K. models of the E60 5 series, and we have had many U.K. customers successfully utilize these adapters to upgrade to LCI OEM HID headlights. Please note we would need your confirmation prior to purchase that you are:

(A) Ordering for a pre-lci (2004-2007) E60 5 series

and

(B) Ordering to upgrade to the LCI OEM XENON LIGHTING PACKAGE headlights (2008-2010)

Thank you, and we look forward to your next update!

Best,
Rakim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sent them an enquiry yesterday just to ask if these where compatible with UK / Euro spec cars and they responded that afternoon with the following:

Hey,

I am confirming that these wiring adapters should definitely be compatible for U.K. models of the E60 5 series, and we have had many U.K. customers successfully utilize these adapters to upgrade to LCI OEM HID headlights. Please note we would need your confirmation prior to purchase that you are:

(A) Ordering for a pre-lci (2004-2007) E60 5 series

and

(B) Ordering to upgrade to the LCI OEM XENON LIGHTING PACKAGE headlights (2008-2010)

Thank you, and we look forward to your next update!

Best,
Rakim
That’s promising. Plug and play would be fantastic. Spring mod inbound.

·
Registered
199 Posts
the Light Module still needs upgrading / coding - it's not possible to do this simply with wiring.

I've done this for a few members on the board by coding their cars remotely

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to try this. BMW sells a kit with instructions. Why not just order their kit, which is wired differently and follow their instructions? I would assume that they know the proper way to update the lighting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to try this. BMW sells a kit with instructions. Why not just order their kit, which is wired differently and follow their instructions? I would assume that they know the proper way to update the lighting.
I'd assume cost minimization, a used LM2 AHL is in the neighborhood of $60-$100 extra on top of the headlights and forty-whatever $ BMW retrofit kit, AND has to be coded to the car either DIY or remotely by someone = more $. I'm also not entirely sure you can retrofit the LCI heads (with no iDrive errors) without also doing LCI tails because of the LCM, so this wire may be perfect if it can trick the existing LCM into thinking that the headlights are Pre-LCI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've done this upgrade with this exact plug and play harness. A couple of notes: You must still follow the rest of the retrofit instructions - LCM, coding, everything. This kit just prevents you from having to cut your stock harness in order to wire up the headlights, which is something I very much wanted to avoid. Also, this harness MUST be re-pinned if you have active headlights and want to keep that system through the retrofit. The company that sells them will claim ignorance about this, but it's true. I strongly recommend buying the BMW official retrofit kit along with these, as it comes with replacements for one end of this harness, and you will destroy that side of it when you try to re-pin, as this harness uses some knock off chinese plastic connectors and the plastic quality is not good. It's best to just cut and use all the stuff (ferrules, rubber grommets, harness) that comes in the official kit to wire things up proper. I may have some pics from when i did mine, but it's pretty self explanatory if you read the instructions that come with the official kit.

This is an awesome retrofit and well worth doing. It made me super happy to be able to get it done without cutting my OEM harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do not use these, they are straight up garbage for many reason already outlined. Keys issues are 1) the harness pin connectors are too small so poor contact with the OEM harness 2) Adaptive will not work unless you repin the output. Vendor will try to blame you even with all the evidence....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do not use these, they are straight up garbage for many reason already outlined. Keys issues are 1) the harness pin connectors are too small so poor contact with the OEM harness 2) Adaptive will not work unless you repin the output. Vendor will try to blame you even with all the evidence....
Thanks all!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've done this upgrade with this exact plug and play harness. A couple of notes: You must still follow the rest of the retrofit instructions - LCM, coding, everything. This kit just prevents you from having to cut your stock harness in order to wire up the headlights, which is something I very much wanted to avoid. Also, this harness MUST be re-pinned if you have active headlights and want to keep that system through the retrofit. The company that sells them will claim ignorance about this, but it's true. I strongly recommend buying the BMW official retrofit kit along with these, as it comes with replacements for one end of this harness, and you will destroy that side of it when you try to re-pin, as this harness uses some knock off chinese plastic connectors and the plastic quality is not good. It's best to just cut and use all the stuff (ferrules, rubber grommets, harness) that comes in the official kit to wire things up proper. I may have some pics from when i did mine, but it's pretty self explanatory if you read the instructions that come with the official kit.

This is an awesome retrofit and well worth doing. It made me super happy to be able to get it done without cutting my OEM harness.
Would be good to see your pics if you have them to hand. I'm looking at upgrading my head and tail lights to LCI at some point and like yourself, I'm not keen on actually cutting my original harness up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the few pics I made when trying to convince the seller to wire up a version for AHL. They basically told me to pound sand, so I did it myself. I don't have any pics of the work, but it is what you'd expect - original harness into this harness, taped up with some waterproof tape and then some heat resistant felted tape. Using the headlight-side connector from the BMW retrofit kit when doing the repinning (Necessary because you will destroy the headlight side of this adapter while working on it) helps a lot with fitment. As @Xdivid said, this kit doesn't fit quite right on the headlight side. I didn't really have any problems with the harness side of this adapter though. One other note - The E39source video on youtube regarding this retrofit is fantastic. It tells you everything you know and is very detailed. LIke Ryan in the video, I also had to re-pin the taillight harness a little bit since my M5 is so early in the production run:

I'm hoping he'll post his promised manual swap video sometime soon.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts