BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the pre-heating thing for the first time this morning, but got to the car only to find it had been blowing cold air into the cabin for 20 minutes!!!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Tried the pre-heating thing for the first time this morning, but got to the car only to find it had been blowing cold air into the cabin for 20 minutes!!!

Any suggestions?
Been there...

Apparently this was not an option for UK cars, as such it serves only as a vent. I have to admit, I was pretty excited when I read about it in the handbook hmmm

I posted a similar question here some time ago...

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you start the "heater" does it produce a rather high wining nosise after approx 30 seconds? It will then go on for a minute and then it stopps if the fuel does not ignite. If so, you probably have a heater. I have one and I had the problem that it did not start. The reason was that the auxilary fuel pump (located at the front of the tank next to the fuel filter. You can access it if you take the rear right hand wheel off). I got it's attention by hitting it gently with a hammer. After that it has been ticking (you can hear it) without a problem ever since.
An other problem could be the "sparkplug". It is not a sparkplug but it glows while the system is running (sorry, don't know the English word). They fail frequently.
On a LHD the heater is located at the right hand side next to the rear headers and below the box containing the engine control devices. It is a small round thing with hoses connected to it, some wiring and an exhaust tube.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Rob Plummer said:

Any suggestions?

Yep,

Plisken's Right - only vents the car - I seem to remember it not being offered in the U.K. for 2 reasons :-

1. No room in RHD Models to accommodate the additional hardware required.
2. I seem to remember reading somewhere it was at the time illegal in the U.K. to have a vehicle unattended whilst burning fuel (as the pre-heater does). Don't know if this law still applies- as I wonder where this would leave the Remote-Start Clifford Alarms....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Perhaps you should make sure that the old Brittish law that you must have a man with a red flag in front of the car when it moves, warning other people is canceled ;)

I married my wife in London and since both are swedes, we did not know that we could be stopped from getting married due to a law from 1664 that was still in effect in 1975 !

·
Registered
757 Posts
FinalEditionE34M5 said:
Don't know if this law still applies- as I wonder where this would leave the Remote-Start Clifford Alarms....
I had been thinking about this, in time for the LONG COLD winter, but it also seems to be the general opinion that it is best not to allow your car to sit at idle for a prolonged period.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
FinalEditionE34M5 said:
Yep,

Plisken's Right - only vents the car - I seem to remember it not being offered in the U.K. for 2 reasons :-

1. No room in RHD Models to accommodate the additional hardware required.
2. I seem to remember reading somewhere it was at the time illegal in the U.K. to have a vehicle unattended whilst burning fuel (as the pre-heater does). Don't know if this law still applies- as I wonder where this would leave the Remote-Start Clifford Alarms....
My insurance company would void my cover if I had a Clifford alarm with remote-start or BlackJack enabled.

The reason for the remote-start voiding was due to the fact that some people left their cars in gear and claimed on the insurance - this was seen as negligence on the part of the owner and therefore the insurance refuse to pay out.

The reason for the BlackJack voiding was that for the BlackJack to be effective during car-jacking you need to hand over the car to the car-jacker - which means leaving the keys in it - which on most policies voids them! The alternative is not good when you're being car-jacked. :(

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
My insurance company would void my cover if I had a Clifford alarm with remote-start or BlackJack enabled.

The reason for the remote-start voiding was due to the fact that some people left their cars in gear and claimed on the insurance - this was seen as negligence on the part of the owner and therefore the insurance refuse to pay out.

The reason for the BlackJack voiding was that for the BlackJack to be effective during car-jacking you need to hand over the car to the car-jacker - which means leaving the keys in it - which on most policies voids them! The alternative is not good when you're being car-jacked. :(
As for the Clifford Remote Start, it is impossible to leave the car in gear (apparently), as in order that you enable the system of for want of a better word, prepare the system for a remote start, you have to get out of the car while it is still running. By means of a few button presses on the remote, you can remove the keys from the ignition, car still running, and once out of the car and the drivers door closed, then engine is killed, ensureing that the car is in neutral, and ready to be remote started.

I don't have this accessory fitted, I do have blackjack though, this is just how it was explained to me.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
plisken said:
As for the Clifford Remote Start, it is impossible to leave the car in gear (apparently), as in order that you enable the system of for want of a better word, prepare the system for a remote start, you have to get out of the car while it is still running. By means of a few button presses on the remote, you can remove the keys from the ignition, car still running, and once out of the car and the drivers door closed, then engine is killed, ensureing that the car is in neutral, and ready to be remote started.

I don't have this accessory fitted, I do have blackjack though, this is just how it was explained to me.
Maybe Clifford have changed it, or the insurance companies have not listened when it was explained then?

I wonder if you could rig up a Tazer under the seat that goes off the same time as you use the BlackJack system :biggrin:

·
Registered
373 Posts
An other idea: Do have the possibility to attach a 220 volt cable to the car? If so, you can install an electric engine heater. If you look at www.defa.com you will get some ideas. They do not list an electric heater for the M5, but there is one. I have installed one myself. I installed it under the front right hand engine support. It is not too difficult. I think this is the one http://www.defa.com/finn_dok_h.php3?merke=BMW&modell=530+-+535&type=2&lang=3&ndid=

The connector is usually installed like this http://www.defa.com/heating4.php3?aid=4&lang=3&ndid=

Having pulled 220 volts into the car you can connect a small interior heater. It will get your car up to +20 C from - 15 C in about 30 minutes. It is all described on the site.
This sis a very common installation in the Nordics and it works very well.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys. Shame it doesn't work on UK cars - I got quite carried away when I read about it in the manual!!

As for fitting 220v heaters, that's a bit much for me to be honest! UK winters aren't really that bad!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts