BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That's a small gain for what you paid for..

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
What do those throttle bodies cost ? something like $3000 ? and you only get 0.8 whp which is something like +1.0 hp at the fly wheel ? ouich

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
What I don't understand is why if you spend 3k on the TBs you don't
get the stage 2 software that supposedly optimizes the performance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dinan says 13Hp gain. Thats around 3%. 3% is within the standard error of any Dyno. That small of gain is pretty much possible by chance alone or run to run variance. Furthermore, don't we pretty much write off exhausts as Hp neutral? Dinan says 9Hp gain with their exhaust.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yea but throttle bodies, ram air kit, and stage 2 software= big wow. I crush stock m5s. Headers and cams by dinan next.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea but throttle bodies, ram air kit, and stage 2 software= big wow. I crush stock m5s. Headers and cams by dinan next.
Just to show you how off my "butt dyno" is, I would have bet the farm to see better numbers than that. 2nd through 4th gear feel stonger than before but numbers don't lie.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
6speed,

If I recalled correctly, you got RD Sport ECU, right? Do you have any sync or timing problem like M5Ranger been through?

Congrats, at least your car still running strong.

Just to show you how off my "butt dyno" is, I would have bet the farm to see better numbers than that. 2nd through 4th gear feel stonger than before but numbers don't lie.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
6speed,

If I recalled correctly, you got RD Sport ECU, right? Do you have any sync or timing problem like M5Ranger been through?

Yup...I have to agree that certain ECU remap might not be compatible with mods from other tuners....prehaps you might want to get Dinan ecu tuning to optimize your TB:flag:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
6speed,

Yes, I had major synching problems with my first set of TB's. Surging, poor throttle response, loss of power, etc. Because of these problems, I had to order a 2nd set and this set worked well.

I will tell you this though, it took probably a day of driving for my car to "adapt" to the new TB's. When I First picked it up from the shop, the throttle response was very poor and I was very concerned again. After driving it for a while, it started to improve more and more until where it is now which is down right touchy (in a good way). If you told me it would take a car a 50 miles after a mod like this to "adapt" or "learn" I would have called BS before my experience.

On a side note, my exhaust note has changed quite a bit... deeper now.

Edit: Yes, I do have RDsport software.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
6speed,

You also have evo pulley and SS header installed with RD Sport ECU on top, and now you have Dinan TB. You probably be disappointed with the TB gain, but at least good to know that your ECU not causing any problem with the rest of your mods especially TB. Correct me if I missing anything. Keep us posted on your real world testing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The best way to know if a mod had nade your car faster is a 1/4 mile run. Horspower is a guidline but you really need to run the car down the track and see what numbers come out.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
The best way to know if a mod had nade your car faster is a 1/4 mile run. Horspower is a guidline but you really need to run the car down the track and see what numbers come out.
But would ~13hp gain really show on the drag strip? I'm asking because I really don't know since I've never been to a drag strip.

·
Registered
487 Posts
But would ~13hp gain really show on the drag strip? I'm asking because I really don't know since I've never been to a drag strip.
it completely depends on where that extra 13hp is made. if it's purely peak hp that only shows up at the end of the power band, 1/4mile results will be minimal at best. if that 13hp shows up throughout the entire power band the results could really surprise you.

as an example, when i installed a larger tb many weren't impressed with the 12hp increase even though i pointed out the fact that the increase was accross the entire power band. my 1/4mile results were a full 3/10ths improvement...that's huge!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Ahh.....that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts