BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Once again I turn to the good people of this website to help me out of another predicament....

I took the battery out of my car to recharge it in the house. After I put it back, the computer won't display anything apart from "PPPP" on the centre console (under the radio) computer. Car is 1990 M5. The battery was out of the car for about 24 hrs.

None of the dials work, and the bit of the dash that shows the mileage, service lights etc is blank. The car starts and runs fine.

I've read about the problem on the internet and some people are saying it's a cable that's come loose at the back of the computer, but given that it happened at the same time as removing and replacing the battery, and the car hasn't moved, I can't imagine that's what's happened.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks a lot
Jack

·
Registered
722 Posts
Many years ago this also happened to me when I was mucking about with the extended hidden menu, and I saved the link that got me out of trouble.

"With the key in the "Radio" position (Radio and OBC light up, but not the instrument cluster), press the "CODE" button. Then push the little reset-hole with a Pen and hold it, 'till the computer blinks in the display, and it will ask you for a time and date entry. - You now have re-adapted the coding plug to the computer. - Normally the computer goes into a PPPP mode when the car has been boosted, or some other very drastically voltage changes have occurred."

Fingers crossed for you.

Dave.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave. Really appreciate the reply - unfortunately my OBC is the one without the reset hole - I also found that link, but I don't think it helps me.

Thanks a lot anyway though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you blind? It is clean. But I'm sure you're right, if it wasn't, that would be the most likely cause of the computer problem. Thanks for the helpful post "Bondy". Sort yourself out mate.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
That's the spirit Bondy ........

One Big , Happy , E34 M5 Loving Family !

D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha, have to admit I did take a bit of offence - your stupid useless comment proper annoyed me! Would have made more sense if the car was actually dirty - but it's spotless by my standards - maybe your standards are more like my wife's.... And how did you know I'm an ex-manc (sort of)?

Cheers for the link, but I've seen that already - doesn't help me unfortunately - tried all that. No joy. Thanks anyway though.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well good luck with the pppp issue, I would have thought that David might be able to help. I will keep an eye out myself.
I was slightly curious by your car the first time you wanted to sell it, and so I did some research thats why I know you were in the Manchester area for a bit, your parents live(d) in Oxfordshire.
I also know that you have had a screw loose in the past, fortunately it only effected your steering and sense of humor. :tonquesmilie:

If you want to know about taking offense, then look at what I said about David in on of his threads. :rolleyes:

On the issue of cleaning an M5, well thats just like a blue rag to a bull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts