1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
thats crazy...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just ridiculous. Take a 4500 lb car turbocharged luxury car and crank the boost so high that the engine will self-destruct in a few thousand miles. All to stage a video that shows it outrunning a Ferrari in a straight line from a roll. Standing start the M5 loses. Put one curve in the road and the Ferrari walks away. But yes, it is possible to spend a ridiculous amount of money to create a controlled explosion in the M5 engine that allows it to beat the Ferrari in a situation that would never occur on the road or track. Got to be one of the stupidest car videos I've ever heard of. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
163 Posts
geez Mike, how do you really feel?!!
I agree that it seems unlikely just by weight specs alone, but with the right mods, these results could be possible w/o said destruction....it would just be a very expensive proposition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just ridiculous. Take a 4500 lb car turbocharged luxury car and crank the boost so high that the engine will self-destruct in a few thousand miles. All to stage a video that shows it outrunning a Ferrari in a straight line from a roll. Standing start the M5 loses. Put one curve in the road and the Ferrari walks away. But yes, it is possible to spend a ridiculous amount of money to create a controlled explosion in the M5 engine that allows it to beat the Ferrari in a situation that would never occur on the road or track. Got to be one of the stupidest car videos I've ever heard of. Ridiculous.
I don't know Mike... I've modified well over a dozen cars of all sorts to do exactly that. Beat supercars. Each project however had a goal, with a specific "expertise" or target, if you will. Some projects were handling, some straight line, some all of the above. (I've never let handling slip too far down the list, as traction thrives on good suspension.) But my purpose, as many others was and has been to set a bar high, typically with another "target" car in mind. You can tune a car and not have it dance on the ragged edge and get 100k miles out of it, and perform to the levels necessary to achieve said goals. I've been a big fan of that. Some guys can't control that need for speed and push too hard. Not my style, personally but we need these people so that we see where the hardware limits are.

I can tell you right now, that with an eventual conservative Dinan tune for example, and a set of downpipes, you are going to break many supercar hearts with the M5 and still get a long life out of it. The key to what you said is a "controlled explosion". It just depends on how far you are willing to push and how deep you can afford to do so. But I personally wont bash someone for pioneering, and pushing the envelope. I cheer them! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if the owner wants the car to self destruct, then thats up to him. Its as simple as that ( self destruct>get a new one ) lol . Why are you making a really big fuss about this? Sorry but the 458 is a PIECE OF ****. We have cls63 which are faster than AVENTADORS in 1/4 mile and high speed racing, check these out ;) //

CLS63 AMG V8 TT PP-Performance 1/4 Mile Yas Marina Abu Dhabi - YouTube 1/4 mile

Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador vs Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG PP-Performance - YouTube CLS vs Aventador - raining=aventador advantage + vid posted by Lambo owner.

These are the types of tuned cars around here ;) ENJOY!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well if the owner wants the car to self destruct, then thats up to him. Its as simple as that ( self destruct>get a new one ) lol . Why are you making a really big fuss about this? Sorry but the 458 is a PIECE OF ****. We have cls63 which are faster than AVENTADORS in 1/4 mile and high speed racing, check these out ;) //

CLS63 AMG V8 TT PP-Performance 1/4 Mile Yas Marina Abu Dhabi - YouTube 1/4 mile

Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador vs Mercedes Benz CLS63 AMG PP-Performance - YouTube CLS vs Aventador - raining=aventador advantage + vid posted by Lambo owner.

These are the types of tuned cars around here ;) ENJOY!!
Yes, it's up to the owner if they want to spend their money. And I was a bit harsh in saying it's the stupidest video I've ever seen. I have seen a couple videos of Darwin awards that might show slightly worse judgement. ouich

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, you are basically opposed to any tuning/modifying?

The whole concept of the M5 when it came out was of a luxury sedan with performance to take on Ferrari and Porsche (just like a lot of other European cars at that time, like the Ford Cosworths, Lotus Omega etc.)

I thought the whole tuning industry and Hot Rod culture revolved around making any car go quicker. I support people pushing the envelope and trying on new stuff. The world needs people that are not afraid of failure but strive for success. Without people like that, we would all be stuck in the middle ages ;)

(Not saying that this M5 is a big step for human kind in any way, but they will learn about weak spots and this will eventually pass down to the more sane modifications. And if the relative value of a M5 to this guy is like the monetary value to us of our bread toaster, then a M5 is merely a toy to be used and thrown away. It's not like the M5 is something like a Ferrari Enzo, McLaren F1 or similar. It's simply just a production BMW and a new one can be bought at the local dealership...).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts