BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to apologize in advance for posting this here if it is not allowed or intended to go here. I normally post in the m5 and 5 series forum on bf.c, but it is not working for me right now and this was the only other place i could think of to turn to.

I am in the process of purchasing a 540 (as I can not afford an m5 :( ) and just had the prepurchase inspection performed at crevier BMW. It is a 99 540i, 6 speed of course :D, black on black in near perfect condition with only 50k miles. The total amount of suggested labor came out to $3200; however, I have a feeling that this is jacked up even more than the regular dealer's prices, which are already high.

Anyways, the mechanic that inspeted it recommended replacing, left front splash shield (cosmetic and not much of a concern), coolant hoses, micro filters, oil and filter change, brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, 3 power stearing hoses leaking, front brakes @ 3mm, and valve cover gaskets wet. i looked on pelicanparts.com for some of the parts and assuming I found the correct ones they were all under 100. However, the total estimated labor is set at 9-15 hours (the front brakes were estimated at 1-6 hours labor and $640 total). How does all of this appear to you from a buyers standpoint? What would you estimate the replacements could be made for?

Thanks for your time. :)

-Eric

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
It's funny how a dealer will suggest so much maintanance when it's the customers money, where are those lifetime fluids now!

I think these are reasonable things to do, but $3k seems ridiculous. That splash shield should cost around $40, i replaced one recently on my m5. My dealer and my independant said coolant hoses should be replaced at 100k, no need for sooner than that. Microfilters, oil, filter, brake fluid is all easy. PS fluid, there's another one they say is lifetime, is also easily changed. The ps hose leakage is common, the 'right way' would be new hoses, the diy way would be some new hose clamps, they typically start to seep at the crimped on clamp. Valve cover gaskets are also common, and diy if you're relatively handy. same with brakes. If you are comfortable working on these cars, i'd say you could do it all yourself for around $500. Brakes for 640! even at the dealer cost for the parts would be half that... I think all the stuff you mention is reasonable, assuming the car is solid and has a good service history.
mike

eric77 said:
Anyways, the mechanic that inspeted it recommended replacing, left front splash shield (cosmetic and not much of a concern), coolant hoses, micro filters, oil and filter change, brake fluid change, power steering fluid change, 3 power stearing hoses leaking, front brakes @ 3mm, and valve cover gaskets wet. i looked on pelicanparts.com for some of the parts and assuming I found the correct ones they were all under 100. However, the total estimated labor is set at 9-15 hours (the front brakes were estimated at 1-6 hours labor and $640 total). How does all of this appear to you from a buyers standpoint? What would you estimate the replacements could be made for?

Thanks for your time. :)

-Eric

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mottati said:
It's funny how a dealer will suggest so much maintanance when it's the customers money, where are those lifetime fluids now!

I think these are reasonable things to do, but $3k seems ridiculous. That splash shield should cost around $40, i replaced one recently on my m5. My dealer and my independant said coolant hoses should be replaced at 100k, no need for sooner than that. Microfilters, oil, filter, brake fluid is all easy. PS fluid, there's another one they say is lifetime, is also easily changed. The ps hose leakage is common, the 'right way' would be new hoses, the diy way would be some new hose clamps, they typically start to seep at the crimped on clamp. Valve cover gaskets are also common, and diy if you're relatively handy. same with brakes. If you are comfortable working on these cars, i'd say you could do it all yourself for around $500. Brakes for 640! even at the dealer cost for the parts would be half that... I think all the stuff you mention is reasonable, assuming the car is solid and has a good service history.
mike
Thanbks for the help! I tihnk I am going to go for it. :cheers:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts