BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten a PPI on one other car in the past, but the circumstances were different.

My understanding is that the results of the PPI is 'privileged' information for the person that paid for the inspection. It's at the discretion of the person that got the inspection to disclose the results with the owner. It seems to me that it's reasonable to expect that the results would be shared in order to negotiate the sale as necessary, but it's still at the discretion of the person that paid for the inspection.

Am I way off base? Is there some sort of 'official/unofficial' PPI etiquette that I am unaware of?

Cheers,

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Of course. Unless the seller wishes to pay for it, or part of it.

A seller could say "unless I get a copy I will not make the car available"..that is their perogative...you can chose to walk.

Id say it is normal to NOT share the PPI 'automatically'- only if used for negotiation.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Am I way off base? Is there some sort of 'official/unofficial' PPI etiquette that I am unaware of?

Cheers,
Not sure what the etiquette is. I would suspect if you paid for the PPI, the info "belongs" to you, although I am not sure you can prevent the mechanic from disclosing the essence of the PPI to the owner.

Just wondering why you wouldn't want to share the info, most PPI's show things that really don't affect value (most are maintenance items, or wear and tear for a used car) but are always part of the negotiation process to get the best price possible from the seller.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
229 Posts
You paid for information, it belongs to you. Do with it what you want because that is your perogative.

Maybe you are a good guy so you share the info with the seller but for some reason, you don't purchase the car (spouse hates color, seller's a jerk, feeling the car isn't a great value, whatever.)

A week later the car is relisted for more money and extolls the virtue of "A recent stellar PPI". You know, the one you paid for! How do you feel now?

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
how is the owner not going to know the results? its not like a doctor visit where there doctor patient confidentiality if he takes the car to the shop for the PPI you dont think the shop mechanic is going to talk with him?

When I had a local PPI done on a car at a friends shop he did the PPI with both of us there and explained everything I didnt end up buying the car and the guy got some information on what he needed to fix to sell it. as far as I'm concerned he took time out of the day for me to have his car looked at so why not share the info.

for the car I bought it was out of state so I wasnt present at the PPI but the owner was. I had him take it to the dealer first and then to a second shop that was recommended because the dealer didnt do full PPIs just an overview of the car and a scan. (the scan did reveal an issue as the check engine light came on as the owner was driving there and the owner had it fixed) after the fix it went to the indy for a PPI.

If the owner didnt see the PPI Info I might not have gotten the repairs paid for by him.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The person paying for the PPI can do what they want with the information

But when people ask to do a PPI on my cars, I tell them thats no problem at all but if for some reason the PPI turns up something in the car I have not been upfront about, its likely because I dont know about it, and I would appreciate if the results of the PPI would be shared so I can fix the problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't see the big issue. Nothing on a PPI is privileged or secret. The shop that did my M3 told us both everything that the car had going for and against it. OP, why are you so concerned?

·
Registered
443 Posts
PPI belongs to he/she who purchases the inspection. If the buyer pays for it, it's theirs. Weird that they potential buyer wouldn't share the info though. Once it's paid for, the money's out the door anyways. Generally, they'd wanna use it to negotiate, unless the costs of repair outweigh their budget and they're upset they spent x-amount of money to find that out. I guess that sucks for them if that's the case! lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I did a PPI on a car a few years back and it had some very bad things going on. I forget exactly, but the oil was all gummed up all over the dipstick and there were some other major concerns, so I eliminated the car from potentially buying it immediately. The dealer wanted to see the PPI and had previously said that they thoroughly check every car that they sell. Since I have paid over $100 (maybe around $120 to $150?) for it and now it was money down the drain (other than keeping me out of a bad car), I offered to sell it to them at partial cost so they could be privvy to the issues and consider getting them fixed. Of course they said no way, so I took my PPI report and left. My daughter's favorite DVD got stuck in the DVD player and of course we never got that back after they swore they would get it out and mail it to us.

They were trying to convince me to give it to them so they could correct the issues for the next buyer, but the place seemed shady and I assumed they were just going to try to hide the issues and the next buyer would get hosed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back when I was looking for my E39 M% I found a local candidate. The owner was fine with me getting a PPI. Funny he claimed he didn't know what it was. My Indy got it up in the air and after about 10 minutes called me out to the shop and said that I should pass and should they even bother to continue with the inspection. The car had been rear-ended and most of the work was questionable at best. The whole subframe and rear end was cocked to the right. That explained the weird tire wear. I passed the info on to the seller. I watched his Craigslist ad for a while and he never changed the ad's description. So even if the seller gets the results it's up to them to do the right thing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agreed with others that the person paying for the services is entitled to the results and how they are handled. Have been on both sides with PPI both buying and selling - in cases where I sold, the shop worked directly with the prospective buyer, foreman performing the review actually called to tell me what they had found as a courtesy after receiving approval from the prospective buyer. In the case of being on the buying side, everything was provided directly to me - I then shared the results with the seller to handle final negotiations.

·
Registered
551 Posts
PPI etiquette is probably dependent on which PPI you are referring to... below, just some of the many PPIs you might be discussing...

PPI Framework: The PHP Meta Framework
Producer Price Index (PPI)
Pennsylvania Psychiatric Institute (PPI)
ETS Personal Potential Index
Proton-pump inhibitor
Progress out of Poverty Index (PPI)
Pixels per inch (PPI)
Plastics Pipe Institute
The PPI Group
PPi - Production People, Inc
PPI (ppi) on Twitter
Project Performance International (PPI)
Private Participation in Infrastructure - ppi.worldbank.org/

(sorry, pet peeve: using an abbreviation without defining it at least once at the being of a discussion...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts