BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I over posted here as to my search for an E39 and think I found what I wanted and just got the results of the PPI back and am not sure how to proceed especially with a number of codes coming back that I can't match up. Here is the list of items on the PPI which does seem like allot but car really is in good shape as it is a 2003 with 69K miles and has only had 20K put on it in the last 4 year buy a guy in his early 60's:

• cabin filters need replacement
  • serpentine belt need to be replaced
  • Cig lighter does not work. I asked to check if it was the fuse they will get back to me
  • Car is getting the following codes:195,198,209,211,213 (misfire on cylinder 1,4,5,7, and the 213 means several according to him) He says care rides fine as this may be just from sitting as if I was his customer he would simply clear codes and have me drive car and see if they come back. Will do some research on these codes and what may cause them. Looking on here those code numbers dont seem right?
  • Another code for dash as he said a few pixels are out. I did see a place on here that will fix for $300 I think
  • differential slight leak
  • sway arm loose needs new bushings as well as a control arm loose
  • slight bend in one rim does not affect driving
  • front brakes at about 25% life left, back at 80%
  • one of the two fuel level sensors bad
I am having him give me an estimate to fix the differential and suspension issue and he is doing a bit more research into the mis fire codes he was getting. I am hoping to work with seller as I can do a number of things on here but need the price to come down a bit given what is needed.

The car is really nice as by the way and I really have learned how important this PPI is. I have no issue getting into this car knowing what it needs.

He i

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I guess it depends on what you were going to do with the car soon after purchasing it whether or not the aforementioned is a big deal. If you were going to do a freshening and replace all the usual things like MAF's, O2's, cam sensors, spark plugs, air/fuel filters, cabin filters, thrust arm bushings, miscellaneous suspension bushings, etc. then this isn't bad. But if you want a car that is "well maintained" then this probably isn't it. The brakes will need to be done soon if they are at 25%, that's not cheap. The pixels, differential leak, fuel level sender (common, I've replaced mine twice already), bent rim, serpentine belt. All those things add up. But none of them are the end of the world.

I hope you're getting a good price though because this car hardly seems like it was babied or meticulously cared for. A bent rim? I think an enthusiast would get that replaced.

·
Registered
962 Posts
nothing seems to be too OTT to me...it's an 8 yr old car that needs some maintenance. do you have maintenance history re: fluid changes etc? That would be a bit more important to me than the stuff that's listed...

filters are cheap and 2mins to replace; belts are cheap $70 for both and 15mins to replace, diff leak: probably want to flush fluid anyway (along with gearbox, oil, power steering, brakes) and have seal replaced at same time, pixels out are common - search here, brakes are brakes...replace as needed, pretty easy DIY to do pads and rotors

have wheel straightened, follow-up on codes, have fuel level sensor and suspension remedied

good luck!

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Everything on that list is DIY for a basic mechanic. Save some pennies and do it yourself.....

Differential leak? Where? Input or output? Output? Which side?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to get for $21K and am fine doing much of this stuff. I was planning on buying this from bimmerzone and doing all the fluids:

BMW Maintenance Package E39 M5 2000-2003 : Bimmerzone.com

Based on the work needed and knowing what is needed right now not sure what price is right for me. It really is a nice car and am attaching a few pictures. This is the exact exterior color and interior color I want as well as prefer the sport to luxury seats.

I know I will be due for the brakes which I can do myself as well as the MAF and O2 sensors probably within a year. Will see how flexible the owner is as I am sure he will be a bit surprised as to what is needed. He did have this listed for $25K in January with no takers by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Was the car driven in the winter? Will you drive it in the winter? How many owners? Records? BMW dealership maintained? What condition are the tires in?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car was garaged all winter and I will not drive it during the winter time as well. He had very general maintenance records of oil changes, brake fluid, and did have spark plugs replaced 10K miles ago. As he did not drive much don't think this has been serviced as regularly as it should of been which is making me think twice.

Tires are some sort of good Michelin's with about 50% life left.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I Know this car a bit.

Back in Sept Oct, this car was on Craigslist. I went back and forth with the guy and then went in another direction (not because of the car's conditon, never made it as far as PPI).

My current car had multiple cylinders misfire when it had brake booster issue and some moisture was sucked into the engine.
Ask the guy if the brake booster has been recently replaced., or if there is sitting water in the brake booster area

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will ask but he really seemed like he did not know much in terms of the maintenance questions I was asking. When I asked about MAF, O2 sensors, and things like that he said cars is in great shape I just basically changed the fluids since I have had the car as nothing else was needed.

It is obvious it needs a fair amount of work but all these little things add up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well for reference, I paid less than $20k for my 2003 two years ago with 84k miles on it and it was religiously maintained. It had no mechanical issues whatsoever and only some small cosmetic flaws.

I wouldn't pay over $21k for this car. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I was going to get for $21K and am fine doing much of this stuff. I was planning on buying this from bimmerzone and doing all the fluids:

BMW Maintenance Package E39 M5 2000-2003 : Bimmerzone.com

Based on the work needed and knowing what is needed right now not sure what price is right for me. It really is a nice car and am attaching a few pictures. This is the exact exterior color and interior color I want as well as prefer the sport to luxury seats.

I know I will be due for the brakes which I can do myself as well as the MAF and O2 sensors probably within a year. Will see how flexible the owner is as I am sure he will be a bit surprised as to what is needed. He did have this listed for $25K in January with no takers by the way.
And don't buy that maintenance package unless you enjoy having the wrong oil. 2003's take the other one, the BMW 5w-30.

·
Registered
962 Posts
IMO, the stuff on the PPI is minor; after all this is an 8 year old car. If you like/want it, I wouldn't get too tied up in nickle and diming over this stuff as it's a pretty clean PPI.

Changing fluids is critical. In many people's opinion, changing MAFS, CPS, O2 sensors etc. is "unnecessary" unless codes are thrown or performance degrades. For a performance degrade, he may not have known/felt it so I wouldn't be too concerned, assuming you will be replacing this stuff. Doesn't sound like he was an enthusiast afflicted with our collective OCD-based over-maintenance disease but if you DIY, most of it is really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
IMO, the stuff on the PPI is minor; after all this is an 8 year old car. If you like/want it, I wouldn't get too tied up in nickle and diming over this stuff as it's a pretty clean PPI.

Changing fluids is critical. In many people's opinion, changing MAFS, CPS, O2 sensors etc. is "unnecessary" unless codes are thrown or performance degrades. For a performance degrade, he may not have known/felt it so I wouldn't be too concerned, assuming you will be replacing this stuff. Doesn't sound like he was an enthusiast afflicted with our collective OCD-based over-maintenance disease but if you DIY, most of it is really pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

What he said

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just spoke with the guy and he does not care what is needed as he wont come off his price at all. I was not looking at this PPI to further negotiate but given the car needs about 10 things I would expect him to work with me a bit.

He was completely rude and just hung up the phone on me. As he told me prior he knew it needed a number of things which he obvious did not disclose.

Too bad it did not work out.

Still not sure what the engine misfire codes could be as that worried me a bit.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Just spoke with the guy and he does not care what is needed as he wont come off his price at all. I was not looking at this PPI to further negotiate but given the car needs about 10 things I would expect him to work with me a bit.

He was completely rude and just hung up the phone on me. As he told me prior he knew it needed a number of things which he obvious did not disclose.

Too bad it did not work out.

Still not sure what the engine misfire codes could be as that worried me a bit.

No offense but here is the list of threads you have started so far, from what I have gathered from your posts I give him the benefit of the doubt and Not you. Neither of those things are "negotiating worthy". the reason that car is at $21K is because its not perfect, otherwise it would be $25,000-$27,500. The cars are either perfect or they are not, everything in the middle is subjective and I repeat what others have said so many time, you aren't willing to pay for a good car and you want a near perfect car for $20K..it aint gonna happen

<table class="tborder" id="threadslist" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172945">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172945" title="I over posted here as to my search for an E39 and think I found what I wanted and just got the results of the PPI back and am not sure how to proceed especially with a number of codes coming back that I can't match up. Here is the list of items on the PPI which does seem like allot but car really is in good shape as it is a 2003 with 69K miles and has only had 20K put on it in the last 4 year...">
PPI back on Potential purchase (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 14, Views: 132">
Today 16:41
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">14</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">132</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172932">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172932" title="I am torn between an E39 and an E60. First off I am going to the BMW dealer today to test drive a 2006 to see how I like it. I have driven and been looking hard for a 2002 0r 2003 E39 and from what I am finding looks like I can find with 70K miles of so for about $22K. I am very close to buying a nice one and just a bit reluctant at the present time as I want to make the right choice. I found..."> Torn between an E39 and an E60 (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 20, Views: 287">
Today 16:07
by crds
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">20</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">287</td> <td class="alt1">E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172828">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172828" title="Does this carfax makes sense? Shows up as one owner. 7/3/2009 it was reported at auto auction but never registered? My question is what could of went on from then to present? Does not make sense to me. Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text. Report Run Date 2011-02-27 11:14:44.899 EST Vehicle: ..."> does this carfax make sense? (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 14, Views: 315">
Yesterday 10:29
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">14</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">315</td> <td class="alt1">E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172536">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172536" title="I have a question for everyone. How many of you would not buy a car if there was an accident reported on carfax? There is no frame damage and I attached a picture of the portion of the carfax that shows this. Normally I would pass but the car is priced right and has just 37K miles and was purchased at carmax 1.5 years ago. I know if interested I would get this checked out but not sure I want...">
Would you buy a car with an accident reported on carfax (
1 2 3 4 5)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 47, Views: 1,764">
26th February 2011 20:49
by Fulltone74
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">47</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,764</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172777">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172777" title="I may be interested in an E60 as I have been looking at E39's but some of the clean low modeled ones are closing in on $30K where for about $5K more I could find an E60. Ideally would like to go to a dealership but hate dealing with them especially if I have no intention to buy the actual car and don't like the salesperson going with me and such. This is not a car that they hand you the keys..."> Anyone in the Northern, VA area with an E60 that might let me drive it
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 2, Views: 114">
26th February 2011 09:06
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">2</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">114</td> <td class="alt1">E60 M5 and E61 M5 Touring Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172518">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172518" title="Anyone in the Dallas area and might be able to check out a car for me? 2003 BMW M5, $27,500 - Cars.com Only concern I have is that the carfax shows an accident, part of me says stay away but with the mileage and the car is the exact exterior and interior color I am searching for. Also new clutch at 32K miles. Does this seem strange as they should last longer unless the car has some hard..."> potential purchase in the dallas area
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 0, Views: 70">
20th February 2011 20:42
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">0</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">70</td> <td class="alt1">USA South BMW M Forums</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172350">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172350" title="I came across this site when looking for an E39: Enthusiast Auto: Main Seems like they have the nicest and lowest mileage E39's of any place in the country. Seems like a quality place that prides themselves on selling the best E39's out there. Is it really worth spending as much as $33K for one through them?"> enthusiast auto in Ohio (
1 2 3 4 5)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 41, Views: 1,362">
19th February 2011 20:03
by Matty
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">41</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,362</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172249">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172249" title="Guys, I started a new post to organize my E39 search. I apologize for being all over the place and will keep all posts regarding my search in here. I have been looking all over the place and did come across a place in Ohio that has some of the best I have seen but like the pay to play quote I got from one member the purchase price up there. Not sure I want to spend $30K+ on one. On..."> E39 Want to buy: My search for an E39. Also anyone driven an E90 M3?
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 9, Views: 488">
19th February 2011 00:15
by mpwr247
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">9</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">488</td> <td class="alt1">For Sale or Wanted</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172348">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172348" title="Deleted thread"> deleted thread (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 17, Views: 609">
17th February 2011 15:09
by OptimusPrimeM5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">17</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">609</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172358">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172358" title="First off I want to apologize for this post if it is repetitious. I posted something in the for sale section when I was asking for input on potential cars I was looking at and was told that it did not belong there. I assume this would be the place for it? Here is my current find which I would like input on. I have found a 2003 M5 with 78K on it. After talking to the owner he is in default..."> Input needed for potential E39 purchase
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 3, Views: 179">
17th February 2011 13:42
by bhoffma1
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">3</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">179</td> <td class="alt1">M5 E39 and E60 tips & tricks</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172114">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172114" title="I just came across this posting: Cars for Sale: 2001 BMW M5 in North Haven, CT 06473: Sedan Details - 294183846 - AutoTrader.com The dealership is closed today so can't call. What do you think the price of this car will be? I am thinking $26K or so given it is at a BMW dealer? It has the interior I like. Can someone tell me exactly what the different interior packages are? As I think...">
What do you think the price of the E39 is? (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 16, Views: 743">
14th February 2011 13:55
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">16</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">743</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172032">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172032" title="I mentioned Ideally I am looking to buy an E39 from a private buyer but am looking at all options and came across this: Used 2003 BMW M5 M For Sale | Lakewood CO Would be very interested if it had good service records and if I could get for about $2000 less than asking price. Can someone tell me if I am crazy or does some of these pictures look like the car is black while others it appears..."> Am I crazy or does this car look blue? (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 25, Views: 871">
13th February 2011 21:52
by BenTong
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">25</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">871</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171989">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171989" title="Should I be concerned about this Carfax? The 2002 E39 I am interested in has just 27K miles but had about 20K miles on it on 2/2006 so only 7K miles driven in 5 years? Does not seem right? Also car was sold by this dealership on 5/2010 then offered for sale 1/2011 with just 200 more miles on the car? So someone bought the car put 200 miles on it and traded it back in to them? Seems very..."> Potential car should I be concerned about the mileage? (
1 2 3 4)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 37, Views: 1,241">
13th February 2011 16:09
by OptimusPrimeM5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">37</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,241</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171966">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171966" title="I don't knock people for trying to get top dollar for their cars but is this realistic: 2001 BMW M5 It is the original owner so that adds value if the person has full service records. What do you all feel is a fair price? Obviously there are no pictures but would assume it is in great shape given the asking price is $32,500. I do want to open up a can of worms as I have read many people..."> E39 For Sale: I don't knock people for trying to get top dollar but is this realistic (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 12, Views: 1,036">
13th February 2011 15:55
by unfoundhorsepower
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">12</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,036</td> <td class="alt1">For Sale or Wanted</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171823">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171823" title="Ok, many of you might get tires of all my posts as of recent as I have have lots of questions about potential E39's I am looking to buy. A few members mentioned I should post what I am looking for as who knows one of you may be interested in selling your E39 or can keep your eyes open for one so here it goes in terms of what I am looking for: I want a 2001+ model Color is open..."> Looking for 2001+ E39 preferably on the East Coast (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 15, Views: 835">
12th February 2011 19:10
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">15</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">835</td> <td class="alt1">For Sale or Wanted</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171927">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171927" title="I have been searching long and hard for a 2001-2003 E39 and anything with less than 60K miles I am all over initially. I was so excited last week as I found a BMW dealership in Phoenix that just took one in on trade and found it the day it listed: 2002 BMW M5, $19,800 - Cars.com Was so excited assuming that if this was at a BMW dealership that it was going to be great shape and the asking...">
E39 For Sale: 2002 E39 with 57K miles at BMW dealer very disappointing (
1 2 3 4)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 36, Views: 1,686">
12th February 2011 00:37
by HaPPy
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">36</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,686</td> <td class="alt1">For Sale or Wanted</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172019">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172019" title="How would you handle a PPI and price offered for a car? Here is a situation and not sure how to move forward. Person sells a car I buy car for XXX amount and am willing to pay for a PPI. Seller says car is in great shape and whatever the PPI finds he will not further negotiate the price based on the results. As many of you know a PPI may find small things on a car in great shape. I am not...">
How to handle a PPI and negotiating price of a car (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 24, Views: 734">
11th February 2011 23:31
by beastheimer
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">24</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">734</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_172047">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_172047" title="Looks like I found another one that potentially looks good: I am surprised he is not in this forum after reading the listing: Cars for Sale: 2003 BMW M5 Sedan in RINCON, GA 31326: Sedan Details - 294408657 - AutoTrader.com"> Potential car in RINCON, GA (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 10, Views: 468">
11th February 2011 21:16
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">10</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">468</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171788">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171788" title="Damn, all the E39's I find that I am interested in are all on the west coast: 2001 BMW M5 2002 BMW M5 2002 BMW M5 Sedan 4D 6 speed (only 79,980 miles) Can't find anything here on the East Coast that I like."> All the M5's I find for sale I like are on the west coast (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 25, Views: 1,047">
10th February 2011 12:33
by c4m5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">25</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,047</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171706">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171706" title="Anyone in the San Diego area and could check out a car for me? Must Sell by Weekend 2003 BMW M5 I am concerned about a new clutch with just 44k miles."> Anyone in the San Diego area and could check out a car for me? (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 15, Views: 526">
9th February 2011 17:19
by gherardini
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">15</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">526</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171926">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171926" title="Can anyone tell me if there was an option on the E39 for painted rims? I have seen a few for sale and that had rims to match the paint. One guy I talked to had it done. Not sure if all are custom or this was some sort of factory option. I love some of these but only concern is if one rim where to bend and I was able to locate another one off ebay or here where would I go to get it painted and..."> Painted rims factory option or custom job?
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 6, Views: 282">
9th February 2011 10:55
by bobbyorr
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">6</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">282</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171880">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171880" title="I am on a quest to purchase an E39 and most of the ones I find have over 80K miles and seem to be on the original clutch. Ideally I want to find something with a little less mileage but am OK with one in this range. My question is how can I tell how much life is left from the clutch? I am thinking there probably is no real way to tell other than drive the car and check for slipage."> Nub cluth question
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 8, Views: 232">
8th February 2011 12:54
by JustinM5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">8</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">232</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171744">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171744" title="Anyone in Phoenix and can check out a car for me? I found a 2002 with 57K miles for $19995 at a BMW dealership. They did not post pictures so no clue of the condition can only assume if there that it is in good shape. http://www.bmwnorthscottsdale.com/detail-2002-bmw-5_series-m5_4dr_sdn_6~spd_manual-used-6662794.html"> Anyone in Phoenix and could check out a car (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 23, Views: 635">
6th February 2011 08:18
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">23</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">635</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171659">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171659" title="Guys, I have been looking for sometime for the right E39. Initially I wanted something with like 70K miles but the odds of finding one seem to be tough. I came across this one: 2002 BMW M5 ***SHOWROOM CONDITION*** I got me thinking that ones with over 100K mileage that have been well cared for and have had things like the clutch and such might be better than buying one with lower mileage..."> Buying an E39 with over 100K miles (
1 2 3 4 5)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 48, Views: 1,638">
4th February 2011 13:57
by lanza360
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">48</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,638</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171556">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171556" title="This is the highest priced E39 I have every seen for sale: Hemmings Motor News: BMW M5 for sale"> highest priced E39 I have ever seen for sale (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 13, Views: 650">
1st February 2011 16:38
by m5-forever
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">13</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">650</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171407">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171407" title="I am considering looking at this but the 100K+ mileage is a it high as ideally I want something under 75K. What do you all think of this and what do you think a fair price would be? 2003 BMW M5"> Adivce on value of this vehicle
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 4, Views: 273">
29th January 2011 18:57
by OptimusPrimeM5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">4</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">273</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_171077">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_171077" title="How does the 2007+ 335i compare to the E39? I know it is giving up 100 HP but seems like the 0-60 times and 1/4 are fairly close? Am sure it brakes and handles well compared to the E39 as well? Has one one driven the two and can comment?"> how does a 2007+ 335 compare to the e39? (
1 2 3 4 5 6)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 50, Views: 2,499">
26th January 2011 08:00
by CSBM5
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">50</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">2,499</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170634">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170634" title="I have been planning to look at a local 2000 M5 for the past week that had an issue with the airbag list. I was going to look at the car then get my own PPI down but the guy took the initiative and got it looked at to see what this would cost. Here is the email I received. Do you think this is still worth looking at for $13K firm? With all these items it could run as much as $3000 easily..."> Ugh 2000 M5 with 72K miles worth a look? (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 21, Views: 919">
23rd January 2011 21:31
by hobiedave02
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">21</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">919</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170946">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170946" title="I find out tonight if I am buying a 2000 M5 with 71K miles. Went last weekend and liked the car. Had a few small issues but overall in very good shape with good service records and an owner that took very good care of the car. He was in need of money and did not accept my offer as he is taking the car to Carmax today to see what they buy it price will be. I have no doubt my offer will be more...">
Find out tonight if I am buying a 2000 M5 (
1 2 3 4 5)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 46, Views: 1,867">
22nd January 2011 11:59
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">46</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,867</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170846">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170846" title="I was reading on BMW"s site they have an alternative to a lease and conventional financing which is this BMW select. How it works is like regular finance with a lower monthly payment and a balloon payment at the end of the term. Do financially sound people do this. So I have a 6 yr loan and at the end of it I have to finance again? I know this is not relevant to the E39 but just shocked at..."> BMW select financing do people really do this? (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 10, Views: 808">
20th January 2011 17:29
by E55AMG2
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">10</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">808</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170645">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170645" title="I was wondering how many of you have bought a car that was not local from a private party and had it shipped and how you managed all of this. Say I find a car that appears to be a good deal and find a local BMW place to do a PPI and pay them directly and after the inspection figure out I want to buy the car? What is the next step? How do I get the owner money and feel like I could not be..."> buying and shipping a private party car (
1 2)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 13, Views: 472">
18th January 2011 00:12
by NousDefions
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">13</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">472</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170749">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170749" title="How many miles did you have on your car before you replaced your MAF's? Looks like I may be buying a 2000 with 72K miles. The MAF have never been replaced by the way."> How many miles before you had to replace your MAF
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 3, Views: 292">
16th January 2011 15:26
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">3</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">292</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170684">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170684" title="Does anyone go to the Manheim auctions and can pull records to see what the E39's are selling for? Seems like lately that prices are very high at these auctions where there is very little if any profit for car dealers to buy and resale? I saw a list in the Mercedes forum of E55's prices sometime back and there where basically sold for what they where going for retail. Seems like everyone these..."> Manheim auction
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 8, Views: 505">
15th January 2011 23:43
by pseudo stig
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">8</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">505</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170711">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170711" title="Can I put an updated Navigation head unit in a 2000 M5 and is the wiring harness and such the same where I can simply remove old one and put the new one in without any custom wiring? I searched the threads and could not find anything?"> 2003 navigation head unit in a 2000?
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 2, Views: 181">
15th January 2011 20:03
by timmay77
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">2</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">181</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170710">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170710" title="Ok, guys I just looked at a 2000 with 72K miles. Car's body was in amazing shape. Only a nick or two on the body very minor and same on the rims. Tires have over 50% tread. Interior was in Ok shape. Seats had some wear and rear cup holders not working the way they should which is very minor. One of the buttons that works the a/c will fall off if you press it which is minor as well. Very..."> 2000 m5 purchase advice
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 5, Views: 310">
15th January 2011 19:53
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">5</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">310</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170574">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170574" title="Can someone suggest a place for a PPI in Northern, VA? I found this place which is convenient to where the car is located that I am looking at: AutoScandia | Saab Auto Repair, Volvo Auto Repair, BMW Auto Repair, Automobile Service Center Transmission Repair, BMW Repair, Virginia State Inspection Station, Foreign Car Repair, Volvo Repair Shop, Volvo mechanic, saab mechanic, Volvo BMW and..."> PPI in Northern VA suggestions
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 9, Views: 338">
15th January 2011 16:42
by herrubermensch
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">9</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">338</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170049">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170049" title="I am looking for an E39 and searching Craigslist, Cars.com, and Autotrader.com and it seems most of the ones I see are being sold by some sort of small independent dealership. Ideally would like to buy from a private party as these dealers either buy at auction and mark them up or get at trade in and mark them up for resale. Did most of you that picked one up in the last year get yours by a..."> why so few E39's for sale privately (
1 2 3 4 5)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 43, Views: 2,216">
15th January 2011 13:11
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">43</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">2,216</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170602">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170602" title="I don't know if I should limit my M5 search to a 2001+ and eliminate 2000 models as I know in 2001 the car had many upgrades. I have found a number of cars I am interested in buy most are 2000 models. The 2001 I have found are about 5K more. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth it to me to spend $5K more for a newer one?"> 2000 vs 2001+
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 5, Views: 494">
15th January 2011 11:43
by jgfabs
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">5</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">494</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_170594">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_170594" title="Anyone live near Park Slope, NY? I am very interested in this private party M5 for sale: 2001 BMW M5 - super condition, 58Kmiles Car seems very clean and well cared for. I have never bought a car site unseen would have to drive 4 hours to look at it then figure out if it was worth it then find a local place to do a PPI then have to drive back to close. For those that have bought cars..."> Anyone live near Park Slope, NY
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 0, Views: 117">
13th January 2011 16:16
by rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">0</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">117</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_169934">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_169934" title="I am interested in a 2000 m5 that is for sale locally. Car has 77K miles but has the airbag light on in error. I have not gone to look at the car but would like to know what you think something like this would sell for? If anyone has bought a 2000 or 2001 in the last 6 months do you mind telling me what you paid for it and the mileage at time of purchase. I can look over KBB and such but..."> 2000 m5 with 77k miles value (
1 2 3)
rrich49132
</td> <td class="alt2" title="Replies: 25, Views: 1,184">
11th January 2011 19:16
by AstonMartin
</td> <td class="alt1" align="center">25</td> <td class="alt2" align="center">1,184</td> <td class="alt1">E39 M5 and E52 Z8 Discussion</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadstatusicon_158119">
</td> <td class="alt2"> </td> <td class="alt1" id="td_threadtitle_158119" title="Hi All, I am new to this forum and currently have a boring 2000 Mercedes CLK430 with just 55K miles that I have had for 5 years now as I bought it used. The car is in perfect shape as I garage it and take very good care of my cars. I think it is about time to upgrade and have been considering an E55 but after research and such think I am going to focus on an M5. I have not driven one but have..."> What did you pay for your M5? (
1 2 3 4 5 6)
rrich49132
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Wow.. LOL....

You have to understand that most of the people who own these cars ARE NOT enthusiasts. They probably have never heard of a PPI before you asked for it. To have someone call and ask all of these questions, have all of these stipulations for buying the car, of COURSE he is going to get fed up with it and move on. Most sellers want an easy sell, get the car out of the garage, and move on. In some rare cases, such as myself, the car WAS owned by an enthusiast. I got a great deal, on a great car, for a great price. It took me 10 MONTHS to find my car. Patience. If you want "The Car" you have to learn how to talk to people and how to get the information you want without being a "picky buyer".

I don't know what to tell you buddy.......

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would of probably done the same and hang up the phone on you too.. You must of expected hime to take a couple thousand off of the price since it needed new cabin and air filters. hiha
I feel for the seller for taking it to a PPI for you and doing all the leg work for you to try haggle him on price over non issues

·
Registered
988 Posts
Based on what has been posted, I would like to make a couple of comments.
1. It does not seem to me that you are serious about buying.
2. This car will sell rather quickly, it looks great and has minor issues that are very simple to fix..

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 97 Posts