BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I am new to the whole M scene, infact I am in the process of deciding on an M5 or and M6. My question is about shifting the SMG, assuming all of the power and shift settings are set for maximum acceleration, should you powershift the SMG. I.E. shift while the gas pedal is fully depressed at WOT?

Would powershifting be too hard on the SMG? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it is under warranty, drive it like it is stolen.

If not, transmissions are not very expensive... and likely the clutch, differential, or a gear will fail instead of your engine.

So, either way... drive the car like it is meant to perform and have fun. If you have the warranty, don't even think twice... if not, know that it won't be an expensive fix (unless you pay the dealer to do all the work)...

Many people end up modifying their transmissions after they have their first mechanical failure when outside of warranty. That way you can reduce shift times, tweak the RPM parameters, upgrade the valve bodies, enlarge the transmission coolers and add in-line coolers, ... for cars that have a torque converter you can upgrade that and change the stall speed for greater launches.

I always drive hard, and if I break it... I upgrade it.
That way when I bring the car to the track, I am focused on having fun and driving my car as hard as I can... knowing if anything happens, it may be a set-back financially, but the car will perform even better as a result.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is under warranty, drive it like it is stolen.4444

If not, transmissions are not very expensive... and likely the clutch, differential, or a gear will fail instead of your engine.

So, either way... drive the car like it is meant to perform and have fun. If you have the warranty, don't even think twice... if not, know that it won't be an expensive fix (unless you pay the dealer to do all the work)...

Many people end up modifying their transmissions after they have their first mechanical failure when outside of warranty. That way you can reduce shift times, tweak the RPM parameters, upgrade the valve bodies, enlarge the transmission coolers and add in-line coolers, ... for cars that have a torque converter you can upgrade that and change the stall speed for greater launches.

I always drive hard, and if I break it... I upgrade it.
That way when I bring the car to the track, I am focused on having fun and driving my car as hard as I can... knowing if anything happens, it may be a set-back financially, but the car will perform even better as a result.
Is that a yes you can powershift the SMG? :7: I will definitely get a warranty on the vehicle I don't want to be stuck with a big bill if it does break. I am suprised you said transmission are not very expensive, from everything I have read I think SMG=$$$$$?!?!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Full throttle through all the shifting is 100% OK and should be done. Letting off the gas while shifting is for P***IES haha :)

Actually going WOT through the first 3 gears should get you some nice rear end action or at least some chirping. Happy driving:1:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah, nothing is sweeter than hitting third gear at 70 and hearing a little rubber burn! I love it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Full throttle through all the shifting is 100% OK and should be done. Letting off the gas while shifting is for P***IES haha :)

Actually going WOT through the first 3 gears should get you some nice rear end action or at least some chirping. Happy driving:1:
Yeah, nothing is sweeter than hitting third gear at 70 and hearing a little rubber burn! I love it.
When I test drove an M6 the other day I was powershifting and I noticed the sound as it shift was very noticeable. It didn't really clunk or anything but you could definitely hear the transmission engage. Is this normal, any unusual sounds I should look for when I test drive?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
+1

I also love downshifting from 7th to 3rd on the interstate when some other driver has a little something to get off their chest!! I did this with one of my friends in the car and he said, "Holy S***, that guy has already lost and doesn't realize it yet". :grinyes:

·
Registered
705 Posts
When I test drove an M6 the other day I was powershifting and I noticed the sound as it shift was very noticeable. It didn't really clunk or anything but you could definitely hear the transmission engage. Is this normal, any unusual sounds I should look for when I test drive?
When you are in S6 and hitting high revs it can move pretty hard. Normal for sure and will scare you until you get used to it. You think you are tearing something up....and you are, the other drivers!

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
If you go full throttle shifting through the gears you will feel like you just dropped your SMG on the ground haha. But yes this is normal, and a lot of fun :grinyes:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you go full throttle shifting through the gears you will feel like you just dropped your SMG on the ground haha. But yes this is normal, and a lot of fun :grinyes:
OK yes I did feel like i dropped it! Not only did I feel it, I heard what sounded like the transmission engage gears....thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
568 Posts
The first time my wife rode with me when I was hitting the gears hard she started freaking out ... her words were something like "OMG WHY IS IT DOING THAT!!!" ... I said calmly (Thats what it's supposed to do) ... LOL

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The first time my wife rode with me when I was hitting the gears hard she started freaking out ... her words were something like "OMG WHY IS IT DOING THAT!!!" ... I said calmly (Thats what it's supposed to do) ... LOL
Mine did the same thing. She further inquired about the best way to make the car quieter...I pulled into the neutral ground and turned it off. She tends not to ride with me too much!!

Reactions: Bavarian Beast

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine did the same thing. She further inquired about the best way to make the car quieter...I pulled into the neutral ground and turned it off. She tends not to ride with me too much!!
Ha Ha they just don't get it do they ... thats why there is a Lexus parked next to my M6 lol

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ha Ha they just don't get it do they ... thats why there is a Lexus parked next to my M6 lol
Exactly...we have a nicely civilized 528i just for that purpose!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is no such thing as powershifting SMG. Even if you leave your foot planted on the gas the car is going to cut power during shifts (briefly). There's never a need to lift throttle when shifting in any normal driving situation, in fact it specifically says in the owner's manual it's not necessary.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is no such thing as powershifting SMG. Even if you leave your foot planted on the gas the car is going to cut power during shifts (briefly). There's never a need to lift throttle when shifting in any normal driving situation, in fact it specifically says in the owner's manual it's not necessary.
+1, people lift throttle up just because they want to feel more smoothness (avoid the jerkness) during the shifting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts