BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been having some bad powerless in the low rpm range up until around 4000 rpm and the SES light is on. I thought it was the MAF sensors so I changed both..still no difference. When I went to get the car registered, there was 4 codes that showed up. P0012, P0128, P0171, and P0345. Im pretty sure its the CPS that needs to be changed but I'm not entirely sure. Can someone point me in the right direction? Btw my car is a 2000 with 72k miles

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes haha its important

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea I found 2 of them. I don't know what P0128 P0171 mean

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hey guys. I've been having some bad powerless in the low rpm range up until around 4000 rpm and the SES light is on. I thought it was the MAF sensors so I changed both..still no difference.
How about you calm down and stop throwing parts at the car and understand the codes and their resoning first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st off Id hardly consider replacing 11 year old maf sensors "throwing parts at the car". 2nd I looked up all the codes but only got 2 definitive answers and they pointed to the CPS'. I was just looking to see if anyone had more experience on these codes, not some *** to comment and not help in any way. Think before you type.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
1st off Id hardly consider replacing 11 year old maf sensors "throwing parts at the car". 2nd I looked up all the codes but only got 2 definitive answers and they pointed to the CPS'. I was just looking to see if anyone had more experience on these codes, not some *** to comment and not help in any way. Think before you type.

LOL - You are obviously flustered for several apparent reasons, and I understand.

Hope you find what is wrong with the car, and your peace

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nothing wrong with my peace just caught me at a bad time. thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just googling them- and not even clicking on any google finidng, just the few words in the search- the 128 is a coolant temp...the 171 is 'too lean'

You will likely need to replace your thermostat. Search here. Do the OBC unlock (aka 'secret menu') and see what your coolant temp is after 20 minutes of driving at over 60F outside, I predict in the low 70s.

Too lean could be a lot of things. Fix everything else first. You could replace all 4 CPSs..or you could try and figure out which are currently bad... you may have vanos oring issues too.

But CPS codes? fix CPS first.

A

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what number test is the coolant temp?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think its test 7. and I do know how to search. I just choose not to yawnnnn

·
Registered
403 Posts
get a code reader pa soft or something that.

my car all of the sudden started running horrible and huge loss of power. replace bank 2 inlet CPS and all power came back and SES light stayed off. all power regained.

car started to lose power again, ran the scanner and bank 1 inlet CPS code came up and replaced and all was good again. all power was restored and now it's running like a bull again.:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was planning on changing all of the CPS just to be safe. I was planning on changing the fuel filter just because of the miles on the car. And I think the thermostat is a must now too. Thanks for the help. hopefully once I do all of that ill be good to go :M5launch:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh btw blks4 how many miles did your car have when you changed the sensors?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
and I do know how to search. I just choose not to yawnnnn
Learn. :tonquesmilie:

Anyway. Yeah the highway test is the best thermo tester. Piece of cake for you now this time of year fellow Jersey dude! ard typed 'over 60 degrees' above...he meant to type 'under 60.' The colder the better so take her out at night. Setup the ktemp viewer in the cluster, warm her up around town first so you see 79C or higher, then hit the highway. If your thermo is bad you will see the 79C drop more the faster your go. 78C here and there is ok, but if you see 77C or lower you need to swap it.
At your mileage the fuel filter is a great idea. Be aware that the new copper crush washer you'll need is sold separately. Dealer visit for that.

MAFs swap at your mileage was also acceptable. Did mine at 81k and the car rode MUCH better (progressively) after about 100 miles had gone by and adaptations reset. Lean conditions have multiple causes. Search old threads while you wait for your thermo parts/fuel filter to arrive. ;) fwiw the fuel filter is a contender so maybe you'll get lucky there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts