BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of Powerflex thrust arm bushings today. they have re-designed the bushings for the E39 M5, they are no longer two piece. were a bit of a pain to press in as i was afraid i was going to tear them pressing them in but they actually are very strong and give when you start putting pressure on them, lubed up with some grease they finally went in. only drove the car a short distance to make sure everything was tight but will post impressions tomorrow after i get some seat time in. heres a couple pics of the bushings. also i was running the x5 bushings previously.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have the same bushing. I noticed the immediate sharpness after it was installed and much tighter feeling while you steer.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
This is on my list. They still offer purple and black as I was looking the other day. What is the part number you got?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Did you have to use a real hydraulic press? I keep looking for the old style so that I can DIY this upgrade!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
are the ball joints ( the other end ) still can be sourced separately?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes you need a press to push them in and remove the old ones.

the ball joints in the arms are not serviceable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Getting ready to order these for my car as we speak, this shimmy has been driving me insane grrrrrrr

I installed the new one piece style bushing in my old 540 and to answer everyone's questions about using a press, it's definitely the way to go. I tried putting them in for at least an hour without using a press; it's damn near impossible. Went to a friends shop and used his press, took about 5min per bushing. I managed to take out the old bushings without a press (somehow), but it's a whole hell of a lot easier to just use the press for everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed a set of Powerflex thrust arm bushings today. they have re-designed the bushings for the E39 M5, they are no longer two piece. were a bit of a pain to press in as i was afraid i was going to tear them pressing them in but they actually are very strong and give when you start putting pressure on them, lubed up with some grease they finally went in. only drove the car a short distance to make sure everything was tight but will post impressions tomorrow after i get some seat time in. heres a couple pics of the bushings. also i was running the x5 bushings previously.

Did u have to remove the metal center to install the PF bushing because mine came pre-installed

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed the purple ones around two years ago, first impression the steering felt vastly improved, an excellent upgrade I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't say I've tried the x5 bushes, but I felt that the powerflex ones would be a fit and forget solution, and so far that has proved to be the case.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Do you get any noise from the power flex bushing when it is cold? Do you have a part number to make sure that we order the right one and not the two piece version?

Reactions: hcaleman

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am in need of new Thrust arm bushings and am keen to these power flex. Is there in fact more than 1 durometer available? Site shows black in the picture. Is purple available? Harder or softer than black?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts