BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 m5 with headers,cats mufflers,3.64 gears. active ram air.
My question does a powerchip make a difference and is it safe.

thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
It depend what chip you have. Only chip doesn´t give so much as cams and other real tuning things. If I were you I would have put in a UNI-Chip and measured the horsepower before and after the installing of the chip. In the reality you only get around 5-15 bhp, so it´s not so good to throw away money of something like that, maybe if you need to increase the "rpm-stop", so you can go into higher rews. You should ask someone who is really good in this chips so you get it right.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
m5.individual said:
It depend what chip you have. Only chip doesn´t give so much as cams and other real tuning things. If I were you I would have put in a UNI-Chip and measured the horsepower before and after the installing of the chip. In the reality you only get around 5-15 bhp, so it´s not so good to throw away money of something like that, maybe if you need to increase the "rpm-stop", so you can go into higher rews. You should ask someone who is really good in this chips so you get it right.
It is important to find a reliable chip maker;)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Powerchip has been around for awhile and many of us have Powerchipped M5's. The chip will increase the "driveability" of your M5. That's hard to describe, but it's like the first time you hit the "Sport" button, except it's always like that. I have headers and CAI and other mods as well and wouldn't go without Powerchip. If you're running headers without ECU reprogramming, you're at risk for damage to your engine because of the mixture being too lean at full at wide open throttle. Give Powerchip a call...ask for Wayne or Jesse and discuss things with them and then make a decision whether you want their service or not. As well as throttle response remapping and taking care of the WOT lean mixture with headers, Powerchip will remove the top speed limiter and raise your rev limiter.

IMHO, Powerchipping my beast was one of the best bangs for the buck.

:cheers:

·
10,455 Posts
do you already have software to compensate for the current mods? Whose?
As XRay said, if not, i would before driving the car hard.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
XrayMD said:
Powerchip has been around for awhile and many of us have Powerchipped M5's. The chip will increase the "driveability" of your M5. That's hard to describe, but it's like the first time you hit the "Sport" button, except it's always like that. I have headers and CAI and other mods as well and wouldn't go without Powerchip. If you're running headers without ECU reprogramming, you're at risk for damage to your engine because of the mixture being too lean at full at wide open throttle. Give Powerchip a call...ask for Wayne or Jesse and discuss things with them and then make a decision whether you want their service or not. As well as throttle response remapping and taking care of the WOT lean mixture with headers, Powerchip will remove the top speed limiter and raise your rev limiter.

I concur. And I had Dinan stage 3 software in my car when purchased, which is supposedly better than stock. Going from Dinan to Powerchip was a huge difference in drivability. I don't know how much horsepower it added since I did not do a before and after, but my highly calibrated "buttometer" felt like a bunch more!! However, it was the vastly improved drivability throughout the rev range that pleased me the most. Money well spent IMHO. And you need SOMEONE'S reprogramming when you go to headers as stated above.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
XrayMD said:
Powerchip will remove the top speed limiter and raise your rev limiter.

How much is the rev limiter raised to typically? My ECU is currently being re-flashed and car should be ready this Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
How much is the rev limiter raised to typically?
It's all up to you. Powerchip will customize their software to fit your needs. It seems that most guys raise the limiter to 7300RPM, or leave it at the stock level. However, a few have brought the limiter up even more. If it were me, I wouldn't go beyond 7300, as that seems to be a good benchmark for what the M5 can safely handle. Dinan raises the limiter to 7300RPM with their software, and I think anything more is asking for warranty removal if any engine problems occur. Sure, the dealer hased to prove that your software caused the problem, but once they realize you haved a raised limiter, it's like handing them the case on a silver platter.

Travis

·
Registered
590 Posts
gsfent said:
I concur. And I had Dinan stage 3 software in my car when purchased, which is supposedly better than stock. Going from Dinan to Powerchip was a huge difference in drivability. I don't know how much horsepower it added since I did not do a before and after, but my highly calibrated "buttometer" felt like a bunch more!! However, it was the vastly improved drivability throughout the rev range that pleased me the most. Money well spent IMHO. And you need SOMEONE'S reprogramming when you go to headers as stated above.
Regards,
Jerry
When I shift form 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd there seems to be a delay in throttle response. As the rpm's pick up I can feel it surging a little bit. All during low to moderate throttle. Would the chip smooth that a bit?

Joe

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
M5Kid said:
It seems that most guys raise the limiter to 7300RPM, or leave it at the stock level. Travis
Thanks for the info Travis. Very helpful.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No problem, I'm glad to help.

Your car is coming together very nicely, and I would like to see some pics with the H&R coilovers, etc. Are you still interested in the Silvervision bulbs? I sent a PM a while ago with further information.

Take care,

Travis

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
When I shift form 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd there seems to be a delay in throttle response. As the rpm's pick up I can feel it surging a little bit. All during low to moderate throttle. Would the chip smooth that a bit?

Joe
Joe, does it happen with the sport button on or off??? I would think probably with the button off:confused:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I remapped my ECU using Powerchip! All I have to say is WOW!

Everything seems normal until the rev hits 3000 RPM! Then all hell breaks loose! My rev limit was raised to 7500 and top end limiter removed!

However, i feel that when driving, the throttle response is faster, and the rev is always up! So when shifting ( especially in sport mode) i tend to alway let the clutch slip!!! Its anooying but fun when you are driving rough!!!!

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
hudson said:

Joe
Joe
It helped on my car. That was what impressed me so much. It smoothed out the response trememdously. When cold (relatively speaking in Florida), the car would surge for the first minute or so. PC took care of 95% of that. The car felt as if the sport button was on compared to the prior software, and then when you hit the sport button, the car would really jump. I used to drive with the sport button off because I thought the throttle response too aggressive, but with headers and remap of the ECU, I now find it perfect. Smooth shifts and instant power.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
M5Kid said:
It's all up to you. Powerchip will customize their software to fit your needs. It seems that most guys raise the limiter to 7300RPM, or leave it at the stock level. However, a few have brought the limiter up even more. If it were me, I wouldn't go beyond 7300, as that seems to be a good benchmark for what the M5 can safely handle. Dinan raises the limiter to 7300RPM with their software, and I think anything more is asking for warranty removal if any engine problems occur. Sure, the dealer hased to prove that your software caused the problem, but once they realize you haved a raised limiter, it's like handing them the case on a silver platter.

Travis
I had raised the redline to 7650. On the dyno, with headers, power held to 7300 then fell off slightly. So I reset it to 7300, which for me is a very good compromise, and won't cause any concern at the dealership.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
590 Posts
gsfent said:
Joe
It helped on my car. That was what impressed me so much. It smoothed out the response trememdously. When cold (relatively speaking in Florida), the car would surge for the first minute or so. PC took care of 95% of that. The car felt as if the sport button was on compared to the prior software, and then when you hit the sport button, the car would really jump. I used to drive with the sport button off because I thought the throttle response too aggressive, but with headers and remap of the ECU, I now find it perfect. Smooth shifts and instant power.
Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. Up here in the northeast the cold warmup takes a bit longer, so the surging tends to last much longer. When it's completely warmed up it's not as noticable. I agree with you about the sport button, it's a little to aggressive for my taste for smooth street driving. I know drive by wire is not as smooth as throttle cables but I would like to smooth it out some more. I'm just running stock exhaust for now. I'll call Powerchip to see what they say.

Joe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
Joe, does it happen with the sport button on or off??? I would think probably with the button off:confused:
Beamer as I mentioned in my post to Jerry the sport button is to aggressive for my taste for smooth street driving, so I normally run with it off.

Joe

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
hudson said:
I'll call Powerchip to see what they say.

Joe
Joe
Talk to Wayne. I believe they still have a 30 day money back guarantee. If so, you have absolutely nothing to lose. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
105 Posts
:1:
I love the changes in draveability that the Powerchip made. It sounds different, the cold warmup hesitation is gone, and the powerband now is much smoother across the entire rev range. My rev limitor was raised to 7300 also.

Worth every penny. Period.

The service was great from Powerchip.

Enjoy the upgrade.

Bob

:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
hudson said:
Beamer as I mentioned in my post to Jerry the sport button is to aggressive for my taste for smooth street driving, so I normally run with it off.

Joe
Joe, sorry I missed that post about the sport button driving. The only reason why I ask is because when I originally purchased my car I also had the same mind set as you I drove with the Sport button "off". With that said being here in the Northeast and having our temps below freezing, I was also experiencing some hesitation between shifts in the cold.
I then started experimenting with the Sport button "on", I noticed that the hesitation is gone and the shifts are very smooth. We all know that the Sport button increases throttle response, and has solved my hesitation and rough shift problem. From this point on I automatically put the sport botton "on" immediately after start-up. I wish there was a way to have the sport button always "on" instead of having to push the button every time after startup?

My 2 cents about the powerchip, Joe if you think that the Sport button in the car is to aggressive for street driving, the Powerchip is only going to intensify the feel of the Sport button. But like Jerry said it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee, so there is no risk on your part. If you do decide to go the Powerchip route, please keep me posted. I love the way the car feels with the sport button "on" so I'm sure I would enjoy the drivability the Powerchip has to offer.:wroom:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts