BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take my car to the dealer today to get the smog OBDII recall fixed. This wiped out my Powerchip 91 software. I expected the dealer to put stock software in and I was already making plans to take the car back to powerchip to have it reflashed since there are close by. When I went to pick up the car, the service advisor went over everything and told me the did the fix and then put the Dinan software in. I was surprised but then as I thought about it remembered the previous owner who converted it to an S1 originally had Dinan software before he switched to powerchip. So I thought, wow, guess I get the opportunity to compare the two.

So I hop in the car. First thing I notice is that even in sport mod the throttle is less agressive and the car coasts down slower. What I mean is if I'm accelerating in 2nd gear and let off, the Dinan software would allow the car to coast faster or farther. Just slightly. The Dinan software feels more tam, more soft, easier to match revs, not quit the agressive throttle beast that powerchiped is.

Then I get on the freeway. The car is definitely slower. Now this could be because the car hasn't adapted or something. We'll have to see. But I was trying to run the car hard and kept feeling like I need to downshift to get the car moving. My guess is the torque curve is lower across the rev range. This is really noticeable in 6th gear when flooring it from 2000-2500 rpm.

I want my powerchip back! I guess I've lost maybe 30 hp at lower rpms. My car did dyno very strong with the powerchip and I imagine its just running a more normal torque curve.

Well, I'll continue to report back as any adaptation happens. Sorry, but no plans to dyno it unless someone wants to pay for it. :sad1:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Olis,

Might be a good time to dyno the car while the Dinan software is there to get some comparison...and +1 the software might be adapting (i think 70 miles)...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Olis,

Might be a good time to dyno the car while the Dinan software is there to get some comparison...and +1 the software might be adapting (i think 70 miles)...
I agree it could be adaptation. We'll see. I'll keep it for a week and see how it goes. I drive 40 miles/day so should not be a problem.

Sorry, no dyno unless powerchip wants to pay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My indy has said Dinan's tune is little more conservative than some of the others out there. It's hard to imagine that it would feel 30 hp lower, as you indicated.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Dinan software alone will not give you anywhere near 30 HP. I was not aware of any software that did. So PowerChip yields 30+ HP. Wow.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Not sure how a tune will effect the cars speed on a coast. Unless they changed your engine internals, flywheel or gears when they did the tune there will be absolutley no difference in coasting.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys. Calm down. I'm just telling you what I fealt. I know many hate these seat of the pants accounts but who else can I share this stuff with besides you guys.

I must say, the car fealt much stronger this morning so it may be adapting. And this was my normal route in so easier to compare as the drive home last night was not my normal route.

So I imagine there probably isn't a 30 hp difference but maybe there was with a fresh reflash and a lot of adaptation going on. Purely speculation here.

And there is without a doubt less resistance at coast down. May just be a higher idle. At cold start up the idle went to about 1200 rpm which my car has never done with the powerchip. By the time I drove down my street it was down to about 800. I think the PC idle is about 200 lower from my recollection.

Anyways, glad to report the car is fast again and if 70 miles is whats need for full adaptation then I can't wait. :thumbsup:

So what do you guys think. I can drive with the Dinan software for free or go pay PC to reflash. Maybe I'll just sit on this software for a while. It is a Dinan S1 after all. Decisions, decisions.

Going to go smog it today or tomorrow. Hope none of this affects its ability to pass smog.:confused:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I was reading the TMS Shark thread where he indicated they just change certain parameters over the existing setup. They also recommend to resort back to OEM/stock setup before applying their software.

I wonder if perhaps you are experiencing similar effect- where Dinan's changes are not in sync with PC changes and therefore the "loss in power" is noticable.

Hopefully that makes sense but I it is 7:15am and I need my coffee :)

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
In my experience if your not going all the way Dinan components it's best to get Powerchip or other Software (pending the tuners are able to tweak out the software for your own preference)...Dinan's software out of the box, works/ coexist with Dinan parts, and there are times it can work on non dinan components but imho you can only go as far...

i currently have dinan software, is it worthwhile to pay and swap to powerchips software?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Not sure if you can sell...I suggest keeping the Dinan for now and once you start building your mods or unless you have headers (SS) I would go with Powerchip...you don't want to waste $$$, my advise is gather all your power mods and once all that said and done, that is when you make that decision on which software your going...Just ship out your ECU and just tell them what mods you have and they will tune it accordingly...some people might disagree but it is what it is...you have to ask yourself how far you want to go with the S62 engine, it's not cheap but I wouldn't go any other way...

can i sell dinan flashed DME/ECU or is it best to just get a powerchip flash over what i have now?

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Youc an sell anything but sometimes swapping ecu's just isnt worth it. You would need to pull your ECu, have the buyer take it to the dealer and have them code it to the car, dash cluster and key. this is usually a pain in the *** and they charge for it. The you have to do the same for your car. you need to find an ECU take it to the dealer and have the code your cluster, ecu and key.

I would say its not worth the hassle, but its up to you.

Ryan

Not sure if you can sell...I suggest keeping the Dinan for now and once you start building your mods or unless you have headers (SS) I would go with Powerchip...you don't want to waste $$$, my advise is gather all your power mods and once all that said and done, that is when you make that decision on which software your going...Just ship out your ECU and just tell them what mods you have and they will tune it accordingly...some people might disagree but it is what it is...you have to ask yourself how far you want to go with the S62 engine, it's not cheap but I wouldn't go any other way...

·
10,456 Posts
Not sure how a tune will effect the cars speed on a coast. Unless they changed your engine internals, flywheel or gears when they did the tune there will be absolutley no difference in coasting.
the placebo effect is strong!

Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
327 Posts
olis1:
I just bought a 2000 M5 and the previous owner has just had the PowerChips software installed when he went to have it smogged (in SF, CA). The smog check station couldn't do it until the first 100 miles was logged so the the DME was fully "adapted" and had the required number of data points stored.

I would make sure you get the first 100 miles done before you go to get smogged.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

I'm wondering if Olis1 is referring to compression braking. Perhaps Dinan has the throttle open a little bit more when you're off the 'go fast' pedal.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Olis, is it possible they gave you the wrong Dinan Stage of software for the mods you have? Maybe they gave you too low of a stage?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts