BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having my Powerchip 91 (I live in Calif.) installed on Friday. I don’t trust myself with a computer so I’m driving the car to Santa Monica. Besides the installation is free and and I was going to be in the area anyway. Any suggestions or questions I should ask? e.g. Should I have the speed limiter removed? (ie. is the car safe at 180 mph, actually I’m not sure I’m safe at 180 mph). Should I have the rev limiter removed? The car is a 2003 with 7500 miles on it (yeah, yeah I know but it’s my monthly driver, I don’t track it, I just want a little more kick for those safe freeway onramps and an occasional quick pass) and I would hate to lose my warranty if I accidentally over rev it. It seems from a search that 7300 rpm is the going number and since Dinan uses 7300 rpm I can use that as an defense if the engine blows. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
I would raise the limiter, as even if you dont use that many revs you wont smack a rev limiter if you shift where you usually do when you are having some fun. As for the speed gov. it really depends on what you want to do with the car. You said it, and I agree, that it might be a 180mph car, but you might not be a 180mph driver. I think of myself as a really good driver, but I am not a 180mph driver as I have no experiance at those speeds. But in the end, like the rev limiter, there is no problem having it removed if you dont plan on going up that high. If it doesnt cost that much more, or is cheap, I say go for it.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Dino,

Get the PowerChip 91...and enjoy it...before I had my M5 "modded" I only had the PowerChip upgrade...what a difference...get it speed de-limited and move the rev limit to 7300 rpm...you will have fun...I do not think that you will "grenade" your motor at 7300 rpm...the engine headroom and response is "worth it"

Do what I did (to stop bouncing off the rev limiter)...get some after market exhaust so that you can actually hear your motor...

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
7300 and speed de-limited in the AM. I'll think about that exhaust.
Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
how is it working

Dino said:
I’m having my Powerchip 91 (I live in Calif.) installed on Friday. I don’t trust myself with a computer so I’m driving the car to Santa Monica. Besides the installation is free and and I was going to be in the area anyway. Any suggestions or questions I should ask? e.g. Should I have the speed limiter removed? (ie. is the car safe at 180 mph, actually I’m not sure I’m safe at 180 mph). Should I have the rev limiter removed? The car is a 2003 with 7500 miles on it (yeah, yeah I know but it’s my monthly driver, I don’t track it, I just want a little more kick for those safe freeway onramps and an occasional quick pass) and I would hate to lose my warranty if I accidentally over rev it. It seems from a search that 7300 rpm is the going number and since Dinan uses 7300 rpm I can use that as an defense if the engine blows. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
i am considering the powerchip 91 since i live is cali too. how has it worked for you? would love to hear your feedback.

thanks:haha2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
My car was the test bed for the CA 91 Powerchip. I have the limiter removed and my red line is 8000rpm. No problems what so ever after having it for the better part of three years this way.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
how about the increases? did it make an impact? in what ways. any information helpful. Also i think i read another post by you concerning the redline that you left it there eventhough you do not get much pull after 7300 is that true about any power after 7300?

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Dino,

Unlike Dinan, or other software, Power Chip is 'transparent' to BMW diagnostic machines. They will think you have factory ECU.

It was the best money I ever spent on my M5. Mention you are with this board and you should get a discount as well.

Enjoy.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
do you have the 91 version or the 93 version of the chip?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
91 of 93

chunpng said:
Dino,

Unlike Dinan, or other software, Power Chip is 'transparent' to BMW diagnostic machines. They will think you have factory ECU.

It was the best money I ever spent on my M5. Mention you are with this board and you should get a discount as well.

Enjoy.

CP
sorry did not say who the question was directed toward.

CP, do you have the 91 or 93 powerchip version?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
deknight said:
how about the increases? did it make an impact? in what ways. any information helpful. Also i think i read another post by you concerning the redline that you left it there eventhough you do not get much pull after 7300 is that true about any power after 7300?

Brad
Brad,

I have actually noticed increases up about 7600rpm. After that there is not a great deal or at least not enough to warrant the danger to the engine. I do not hit 8000rpm very often, I am usually off at about the 7600rpm level.

Mark

btw - I still am running the 91 even though I should move to the 93 with the gasoline we have here in Texas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
thanks Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
NO, do not get the rev limiter increased. The Computer will record each and ever over rev and add them up. Then when the engine blows up. THe tech will see that and you are out of warrenty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Jayson said:
NO, do not get the rev limiter increased. The Computer will record each and ever over rev and add them up. Then when the engine blows up. THe tech will see that and you are out of warrenty.
I second that. Unless you are planning to put a 3:45 diff, I wouldn't mess around too much with the revs. Speed limiter is a different story - get rid of it IMO, especially if you plan to test the car's full speed capabilities. Keep in mind that for $50 Powerchip can always give you a re-flash, so you can change your settings as you go (or if you put headers eventually).

Give us your impressions when you get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
deknight said:
sorry did not say who the question was directed toward.

CP, do you have the 91 or 93 powerchip version?
I had the 93 PC version.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
I like the Powerchip. But I also recommend against removing/increasing the rev limiter for the aforementioned reasons. Just play with it once or twice and you could lose warranty coverage for a future, completely unrelated and expensive major engine failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
deknight said:
i am considering the powerchip 91 since i live is cali too. how has it worked for you? would love to hear your feedback.

thanks:haha2:
Deknight,
I got the 91 and noticed immediate improvement as I drove out of the lot. Smoother and quicker acceleration without a noticeable decline in gas mileage. Your bio says you already have the Dinan stage 1 software. I can’t tell you if switching to the Powerchip will make that big of difference. But I can tell those of you still sitting on the fence with the stock software, make the switch. I waited two years to add the Powerchip…and to think of all those wasted stoplights.
I let Powerchip do the stock installation. I was told that is raising the rev limiter to 7200, not 7300. I specifically asked that question. The speed limiter is removed and the ECU is remapped. Since you live in LA make an appt. and take your car to Powerchip and have them do the install. No extra charge. And be sure to mention the M5board for your $100 discount.
Good luck and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,277 Posts
thanks Dino for the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread, but have folks here had any experience with the AA software?

Seems there are plenty of happy 'converts from Dinan to PowerChip, wondering if anyone has had the AA for comparison sake.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top