BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
What can I say, the mod bug has bitten again. After a number of upgrades over the last month on my 2000 Beast (Euro Angle Eyes, DVD Nav+16x9 screen, SuperSprint cat back, soon to be-installed CAI, etc.), I figure my next mod would be a Powerchip upgrade.

Spoke with the folks at Powerchip (very curtious and knowledgeable), the current price for the 93 Octane Version for the Beast is $990, and they are extending a $100 discount for M5 Board members (kuddos to Andrew and his crew:thumbsup: ). They also indicated that if we were to get a group buy going (say 5 or more), they can additionally drop down the price.

Myself and another fellow Beast-owner are in for sure, so ideally looking for three or more other Powerchip enthusiasts. Anyone else have interest?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

cosioboy said:
What can I say, the mod bug has bitten again. After a number of upgrades over the last month on my 2000 Beast (Euro Angle Eyes, DVD Nav+16x9 screen, SuperSprint cat back, soon to be-installed CAI, etc.), I figure my next mod would be a Powerchip upgrade.

Spoke with the folks at Powerchip (very curtious and knowledgeable), the current price for the 93 Octane Version for the Beast is $990, and they are extending a $100 discount for M5 Board members (kuddos to Andrew and his crew:thumbsup: ). They also indicated that if we were to get a group buy going (say 5 or more), they can additionally drop down the price.

Myself and another fellow Beast-owner are in for sure, so ideally looking for three or more other Powerchip enthusiasts. Anyone else have interest?
I am extremely interested! Count me in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

Count me in as well, I was actually going to call and place my order today. Did they mention how much more of a discount would be applied?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

Sweat, glad to see such a fervent interest, keep it coming, Mates!

Speaking with Steve a couple of weeks ago, I didn't get into too much discussion on the additional discount. For one, I wasn't in a hell of a bargaining position back then. Now that we are likely to accumulate critical mass, I recon we can get a good deal. Let's wait for a couple of days and see how many more Beast owners will respond, as it is likely we will have a very compelling argument to go back to them.

I'm thinking (out loud) we can get at least another $100 off, plus possiblly free shipping (they have two ways of installing it - do-it-yourself via laptop + software, or send it in to them), plus possibly free upgrades/reflashes. For example, if you were to upgrade to SuperSprint headers going forward, they have an additional setup for that and it is highly recommended you send in your ECU again for a re-flash/re-mapping. Normally that's $50, but I would think a good sized group order will sway them to grant us one free re-fresh should anyone of us need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

I am also interested, but would be looking at the 91 chip as 93 is hard to find here. If the group buy extends to either choice, then count me in as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
I'm definitely interested but I only need them to raise my idle from around 500rpm to 900rpm (to reduce the chatter noise from my ltw flywheel).

The previous owner of my car put the Powerchip two years ago and now Powerchip asks me to pay $490.00 just for the transfer fee because I'm the new owner of the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

sailor said:
I am also interested, but would be looking at the 91 chip as 93 is hard to find here. If the group buy extends to either choice, then count me in as well.
Sailor, don't think Powerchip will have an issue with getting you a 91, the change on their end I think is insignificant, so you'll count under the group buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

cosioboy said:
Sailor, don't think Powerchip will have an issue with getting you a 91, the change on their end I think is insignificant, so you'll count under the group buy.
I'm also interested in the 91 chip. Nothing higher here in Los Angeles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

///M Blitz said:
I'm also interested in the 91 chip. Nothing higher here in Los Angeles.
Didn't know that interesting fact about Cali, then again, no big surprise considering the state's pro-environmental views. In that case we have even more of a compelling reason why all of us can't get the 93 Octane. I really think Powerchip will be indifferent as to which setup each of us wants, it'll all be part of the group buy. Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

I am very interested.... would particularily like to have at least 1 reflash included to raise the idle rpm when the UUC clutch flywheel combo is inevitably put in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

I'm interested as well...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

I have some interest as well and I have a friend that would probably throw his name in the hat as well. I will check with him. Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

Without being flamed or relegated to the search function, can we briefly discuss what the implications of such an upgrade are on the warranty of the car?

If there were ZERO warranty issues, I'd think about it - as long as there was no redline increase. Dealer would know that something special was going on if they saw it revved to 7500.

-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

MT JTN said:
Without being flamed or relegated to the search function, can we briefly discuss what the implications of such an upgrade are on the warranty of the car?

If there were ZERO warranty issues, I'd think about it - as long as there was no redline increase. Dealer would know that something special was going on if they saw it revved to 7500.

-Matthew
Matthew, I know in the past guys have explicitly specified redline settings. I am with you in that I would not want to have over-revs recorded. I am not sure why it's even an option. Dinan's software also bumps up the redline by a couple hundred rpm's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

All right guys, I talked to Powerchip just now and cleared a few things. Turns out, had I not called them, they would have likely found me: it seems our thread here has generated a bit of commotion on their end based on the overwhelming number of responses. I have to say, I myself am surprised to get that many positive embraces in such short time frame, but then again, considering the reputation of their name and product, perhaps it should have been expected.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the folks at Powerchip are willing to extend the $100 M5Board discount, but no additional discount will be rendered for a group buy :-(( As one of their primary concerns remains individual customer satisfaction, they prefer to have individual customers call them directly, so they can go over the entire process, address many of the questions members raised (e.g. warranty coverage, 91 vs. 93 Octane, etc.) They felt some people may be 'pushed' to go with the group buy for the sake of the discount, without getting a full understanding of the 'virtue' of their product.

I am basically relaying the conversation I had with one of their more senior team members. We may agree or disagree with their rationale, but that's the bottom line. Nevertheless, they make a quality product, and as most members who have it will attest, worth the investment. Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

cosioboy said:
. . . but no additional discount will be rendered for a group buy :-((
Thanks for the initial effort cosioboy! While it may not have gone anywhere, it has gotten me thinking about this upgrade again . . . Oh well, I guess it's back to procrastination mode. :) Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Re: Powerchip Group Buy - anyone else interested?

Too bad I would have done it for an additional discount. As a salesperson at heart, I see what they are trying to accomplish but I disagree with their contention that we will not see the "virtues" of their product if we do a group buy. Powerchip "virtues" have been discussed ad naseum on this board, whats wrong with offering a little more discount in the interest of a group buy. Just my opinion.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top