BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. I got my ecu done by powerchip a few weeks ago. But before that the car was in the garage sleeping...

After i install the ecu back in and start the car.. The idle rpm is around 900. I know the Idle should be around 500-600.

Does anyone have these problem? i drove the car more than 200 miles and it's still around 900 cold or warm.

A trouble code came up, It was Po128 for the thermostat being open, can this be the problem?

I'm about to call matt at PC. but just want to know if anybody out there have the same problem after the powerchip upgrade.

I'm guessing is the ICV but not sure...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Haven't heard of this issue regarding the PC tune, however a stuck thermostat could mean that the car thinks it is still in warm up mode, which the cold idle is higher to heat up the car quicker.

I would recommend replacing the thermostat and rechecking, a tune shouldn't cause this code to come on for no reason so I am guessing the Tstat is the culprit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't heard of this issue regarding the PC tune, however a stuck thermostat could mean that the car thinks it is still in warm up mode, which the cold idle is higher to heat up the car quicker.

I would recommend replacing the thermostat and rechecking, a tune shouldn't cause this code to come on for no reason so I am guessing the Tstat is the culprit.
i'm changing the Tstat this weekend.. will post up results..

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I agree with those who think its T-Stat. A 300-400 rpm increase while T-stat is stuck open makes sense.

Reactions: hillco148

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with those who think its T-Stat. A 300-400 rpm increase while T-stat is stuck open makes sense.
but i remember not having that issue before the upgrade with PC... maybe is perfect timing..

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like its ur tstat. Unrelated to PC, just bad timing it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Has it gotten a lot colder there in NYC since you last drove it? I agree with others on the tstat. My old E36 was sticking open a little bit and was "fine" in warmer or slightly cooler weather, but when it got really cold it just wouldn't warm up. I lived with it forever (not a good idea for a number of reasons) here in Texas, but up North it would be pretty bad I would guess.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
My idle speed has been raised for the Dinan Lightened Flywheel, not sure if the base PC tune is already raised by default.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Whether or not the idle was raised by default, a trouble code for tstat should be fixed. If indeed your car does have a stuck open tstat, your car will be running extra rich and should be replaced. Have you tried secret menu test #7? Try doing this on highway speed and see if it reaches/exceeds 79C.

Reactions: hillco148

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has it gotten a lot colder there in NYC since you last drove it? I agree with others on the tstat. My old E36 was sticking open a little bit and was "fine" in warmer or slightly cooler weather, but when it got really cold it just wouldn't warm up. I lived with it forever (not a good idea for a number of reasons) here in Texas, but up North it would be pretty bad I would guess.[/QUOTE

The temp is getting there... Too Freaking cold!!!! Take like 10 min to warm up..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Powerchip 93 Gold and it automatically raises the idle speed unless you ask the guys not to do so.
i got the powerchip 91 .. But anyway, after i put in the new Tstat i post the update.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Whether or not the idle was raised by default, a trouble code for tstat should be fixed. If indeed your car does have a stuck open tstat, your car will be running extra rich and should be replaced. Have you tried secret menu test #7? Try doing this on highway speed and see if it reaches/exceeds 79C.
I also notice my beast been drinking the gas like a football player on Gatorade..

My to do list this weekend...

will post update after Christmas.. Have a good one!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts