BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with a Powerchip tune for a few reasons.......

1. I need to up my RPM's due to the Dinan Lightened Flywheel
2. "Sport mode" on all the time feature
3. Powerchip's reputation and positive reviews by other members
4. Ease of install
5. Matt is awesome
(6.) They also have the feature to disable the carbon build up SES code, but as of now, luckily, I do not have that problem.
(7.) They will be offering an upgrade soon that I REALLY am interested in

I called Matt today and talked to him on the phone for about an hour. He was patient and listened to me babble on and on about my car, what I wanted it to do, what I wanted in a tune, and what I DIDN'T want. He provided me with a TON of information, asked me a lot of questions, and answered all of the questions I had for him. All in all, a very pleasant experience. I am leaving for Atlanta on Thursday by way of Cincinnati for a big BMW meet, so Matt offered to Next Day ship me the cable to do the tune. Once it arrives, I will snap some pics and give you guys a walk through on the process.

Thanks again Matt.

Stay tuned......

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Looks like I will also be going with powerchip but why would you want to block an SES code?
Without stepping on my Brother-from-another-Mother's toes, some M5's, especially the 00's develop an "aa" Peake code SES light after a while. It is strictly an emissions code and has no effect on performance whatsoever. BMW's way of taking car of it involves thousands of dollars of work cleaning out the heads. Disabling the code is easier and again, has no effect on performance. The code can be deleted in software that is "Off-Road" use only :rolleyes:

Hope that helps

Steve

P.S. Excited to hear how you like the tune Tim. I am confident you will really dig the mid-range pick-up. To bad you arent able to check before and after AFR's....I'm jealous you guys are going to Atlanta. Any chance you can do another parking garage burnout??:applause::M5launch:

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
The secondary air system is part of the emssions control built into the car. While installing aftermarket software is one thing disabling this feature could lead to a very bad run in with the powers that be here in commiefornia. It is probably different in Ohio or the other "free" states, trust me I am jealous! You would face a $10,000 fine and have your car impounded if your caught doing that.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The secondary air system is part of the emssions control built into the car. While installing aftermarket software is one thing disabling this feature could lead to a very bad run in with the powers that be here in commiefornia. It is probably different in Ohio or the other "free" states, trust me I am jealous! You would face a $10,000 fine and have your car impounded if your caught doing that.
You'll be OK, in CA you're allowed 1 non ready status on the readiness monitors (2 if your vehicle is older then 2000)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Looking forward to your results..
I believe this is one of my very next mods ;)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
You won't regret it, Tim. Great move. Can't wait to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Good stuff Tim. Keep us posted. I'll be doing the same this month....looking forward to hearing about your results.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Without stepping on my Brother-from-another-Mother's toes, some M5's, especially the 00's develop an "aa" Peake code SES light after a while. It is strictly an emissions code and has no effect on performance whatsoever. BMW's way of taking car of it involves thousands of dollars of work cleaning out the heads. Disabling the code is easier and again, has no effect on performance. The code can be deleted in software that is "Off-Road" use only :rolleyes:

Hope that helps

Steve

P.S. Excited to hear how you like the tune Tim. I am confident you will really dig the mid-range pick-up. To bad you arent able to check before and after AFR's....I'm jealous you guys are going to Atlanta. Any chance you can do another parking garage burnout??:applause::M5launch:
Nothing would make me more happy than to pick you up at the airport on Friday. We will be in town around 4pm. Make it happen........

Probably no burnouts this year. That was very dangerous and irresponsible of me to do that. You know me, I ALWAYS follow that rules. ouich LOL.

I to wish I had time to get to a shop and check AFR's and get my car dyno'd before and after the tune......

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Congrats Tim... I was so stubborn my self for the longest time with my Beast... after a few tries with I wont mention the name... I have always had my Dinan software.... I thought and swore they were the best but boy was I wrong... I will do a full write up myself but Im not gonna hijack your thread:cheers: too much

Needless to say I made my switch to to Powerchip about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier... well maybe if I go for the even more power tune;) nah the car is fast enough.... I kept all the same features as the Dinan tune like raised Idle... I too have a lightened flywheel... and Sport mode on was a nice surprise I forgot to ask Matt but he knew me well enough to add some goodies...
so I have put about 200+ miles on the beast so far and its an animal... I was having issues with the Dinan software my car was fast but down low and mid range the car was running way too rich almost "Bogging out" then spooling up like a turbo car...

Matt custom tuned the car from cali while I was in NY...sent the cable overnight and walked me through the process... started the car went for a spin and walla!!!! the car runs perfect...

we had a little Meet here on LI and it was just in time a few other members got to see my 200,000 mile youngin in action and were quite surprised....

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm interested in your review. Subscribe.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hate you... errr I mean Im looking forward to hearing your results!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I decided to go with a Powerchip tune for a few reasons.......

(7.) They will be offering an upgrade soon that I REALLY am interested in

Stay tuned......
Which is...? Don't keep us hanging!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Awesome news, Tim! You're gonna love it!

Maybe when you give a positive review it'll finally quiet the couple of naysayers who claim that Powerchips delivers no power gains and that the dozens of us who have gone with PC are just experiencing a placebo effect. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You say that until your only choice for registering your car here in CA is a $5,000 head pull and cleaning (and the expectation that it's going to happen again.) Then you'll be looking for a reasonable solution like the rest of us. Search if you need more info, there's tons on this forum about it. BTW, it's undetectable to smog stations, it just shows as "Not ready."

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which is...? Don't keep us hanging!
I'm not sure if it is public knowledge yet. I don't want to steal matt's thunder if it is not. I'm sure he will chime in and share if needed. Sorry

Reactions: M55555

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
You say that until your only choice for registering your car here in CA is a $5,000 head pull and cleaning (and the expectation that it's going to happen again.) Then you'll be looking for a reasonable solution like the rest of us. Search if you need more info, there's tons on this forum about it. BTW, it's undetectable to smog stations, it just shows as "Not ready."
VacMan - it's all good.. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
subscribed.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.