BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys last week I had the opportunity to meet up with Mr. PedM5 himself to get a special header tune for the new Supersprint headers I recently installed. The guys at Powerchip are outstanding guys. Matt, in particular, is an awesome tuner with a beast of a beast. That thing pulls like a bull out of the gates. It's quite insane. I know what you gents speak about now when you guys sat shotgun in his beast.

Here are some of my notes BEFORE the Powerchip tune:

(ESS stock tune + stock header vs. ESS stock tune + header):
-gained ~27ft-lbs torque in the upper band (5K-redline) but loses ~18ft-lbs between 3K-4K RPM
-lost ~10whp between 3-4.5k RPM before it pulls like a train to max out @ 25whp max gain
-Good gains in the upper RPM band over stock headers for both HP and torque

One of the things I noticed when I got the headers how it pulled extremely hard above 4.5k RPM at the expense of a loss of power from 3.0k-4.5K RPM. Understandably, it's the tradeoff when installing 4-1 headers as opposed to 4-2-1. Those who drove my car noticed the "lag" in the lower end. It took a while for it to get to 4.5K but once there it just pulls, hard.

My goal with the post-header tune was to gain some more low and midrange back and ensure that I was running proper AFR after the headers.

Here's the before and after chart:

The midrange gain of ~20whp and ~20ft-lbs means everything to me, especially after already gaining 25whp max after the headers alone. The dyno graph equates to exactly what what I felt as I drove away that evening. I retained my high-end gain, while adding power in the midrange. My car pulls, and pulls, from the moment you step on the gas, as indicated and validated with the dyno graph. There is no longer this "lag" before the "boost" type of feel. It no longer feels like the car is working it's way up to a certain point before it really takes off. Also, the car was running pretty rich according to the baseline. The software tune ensured proper AFR throughout the band at both partial-throttle and WOT positions.

[email protected] over-delivered on what I was expecting from his tune, both power, driveability, and customer service wise. I was not expecting anything close to those types of gains in the powerband, most notably, midrange. I am a VERY happy customer, and I love driving the beast even more. So Matt, again, thank you! You over-delivered and out-performed all my expectations going in. All I ask is to have the same power your beast has!

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions and such. I'll try my best to address them.

Reactions: PedM5

·
Registered
729 Posts
Glad to hear your results man. It's like a new feeling all over again!

Im tired of hearing all of these threads about Powerchip, its making me want to throw my AA tune away......

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im tired of hearing all of these threads about Powerchip, its making me want to throw my AA tune away......
What's wrong with your AA tune?

Glad to hear your results man. It's like a new feeling all over again!
Yeah, it does. I was under the impression there was not much more to be gained after the header install. I was wrong.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What's wrong with your AA tune?

I guess I should preface my comment with saying that I definitely felt a power increase below 4500 rpm and the sport memory is an awesome feature and the AA guys are top notch as far as customer service. With that being said the drivability is absolutely terrible and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy. Also I dont think there were any gains in the upper rpm where imo the car really needs it. Now I have driven a 2002 M5 with an AA tune like mine with more miles and a checkered past that pulls way harder than my car so i dont know if the later poduction models take the tune better or what...........

Either way I am looking into Powerchip or something a lillte more custom like veloce performance tuning.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should preface my comment with saying that I definitely felt a power increase below 4500 rpm and the sport memory is an awesome feature and the AA guys are top notch as far as customer service. With that being said the drivability is absolutely terrible and I have noticed a decrease in fuel economy. Also I dont think there were any gains in the upper rpm where imo the car really needs it. Now I have driven a 2002 M5 with an AA tune like mine with more miles and a checkered past that pulls way harder than my car so i dont know if the later poduction models take the tune better or what...........

Either way I am looking into Powerchip or something a lillte more custom like veloce performance tuning.
I did not have any driveablility issues with my ESS tune however I know some did with the Shark injector. Probably a good idea to discuss it with some of the tunes and see who can fix it for you. I'm sure Matt can :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will see if I can obtain it for you.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Good stuff! I sent you a PM about the next couple of days. I want to try to sneak down to Dynomite on Wednesday. :D

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good stuff! I sent you a PM about the next couple of days. I want to try to sneak down to Dynomite on Wednesday. :D
Let's do it! :goldcup:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
This thread makes me so impatient. If mother nature can show some mercy I will be tuned and on the dyno in 6 days. :confused3

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wanna be dyno tuned...I also have a lot of power i am missing out on in the low end...but my car rapes face up top. SS headers w/ Dinan tune =fail...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Stop reminding me of what I don't have :(

Blew my money on a spontaneous Vegas trip

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
OK guys last week I had the opportunity to meet up with Mr. PedM5 himself to get a special header tune for the new Supersprint headers I recently installed. The guys at Powerchip are outstanding guys. Matt, in particular, is an awesome tuner with a beast of a beast. That thing pulls like a bull out of the gates. It's quite insane. I know what you gents speak about now when you guys sat shotgun in his beast.

Here are some of my notes BEFORE the Powerchip tune:

(ESS stock tune + stock header vs. ESS stock tune + header):
-gained ~27ft-lbs torque in the upper band (5K-redline) but loses ~18ft-lbs between 3K-4K RPM
-lost ~10whp between 3-4.5k RPM before it pulls like a train to max out @ 25whp max gain
-Good gains in the upper RPM band over stock headers for both HP and torque

One of the things I noticed when I got the headers how it pulled extremely hard above 4.5k RPM at the expense of a loss of power from 3.0k-4.5K RPM. Understandably, it's the tradeoff when installing 4-1 headers as opposed to 4-2-1. Those who drove my car noticed the "lag" in the lower end. It took a while for it to get to 4.5K but once there it just pulls, hard.

My goal with the post-header tune was to gain some more low and midrange back and ensure that I was running proper AFR after the headers.

Here's the before and after chart:

The midrange gain of ~20whp and ~20ft-lbs means everything to me, especially after already gaining 25whp max after the headers alone. The dyno graph equates to exactly what what I felt as I drove away that evening. I retained my high-end gain, while adding power in the midrange. My car pulls, and pulls, from the moment you step on the gas, as indicated and validated with the dyno graph. There is no longer this "lag" before the "boost" type of feel. It no longer feels like the car is working it's way up to a certain point before it really takes off. Also, the car was running pretty rich according to the baseline. The software tune ensured proper AFR throughout the band at both partial-throttle and WOT positions.

[email protected] over-delivered on what I was expecting from his tune, both power, driveability, and customer service wise. I was not expecting anything close to those types of gains in the powerband, most notably, midrange. I am a VERY happy customer, and I love driving the beast even more. So Matt, again, thank you! You over-delivered and out-performed all my expectations going in. All I ask is to have the same power your beast has!

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions and such. I'll try my best to address them.
Power chip guys were great to deal with before I did my ESS blower. Howver, just out of curiousity...why didn't you give AJ and ESS a chance to add the "header tune"? When I had my car shipped to ESS for the initial supercharger install (1st production kit), he noted that the PC software ran my car a bit lean...and was surprised at how little had been changed in the code. Not knocking PC...just repeating what I was told two years ago...

Regards,
Brian

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Power chip guys were great to deal with before I did my ESS blower. Howver, just out of curiousity...why didn't you give AJ and ESS a chance to add the "header tune"? When I had my car shipped to ESS for the initial supercharger install (1st production kit), he noted that the PC software ran my car a bit lean...and was surprised at how little had been changed in the code. Not knocking PC...just repeating what I was told two years ago...

Regards,
Brian
Hey Brian-

I actually had ESS N/A Tune prior to PC, and I did contact Todd and AJ from ESS to discuss a header tune well before I even contacted PC. Actually, from our emails, I think I was in communication with Todd over the span of several months. In our discussion, I just felt that I would benefit more from Powerchip, power/fuel-wise and post-support.

Reactions: Blockdoc

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Hey Brian-

I actually had ESS N/A Tune prior to PC, and I did contact Todd and AJ from ESS to discuss a header tune well before I even contacted PC. Actually, from our emails, I think I was in communication with Todd over the span of several months. In our discussion, I just felt that I would benefit more from Powerchip, power/fuel-wise and post-support.
Cool man...
Just thought I would ask.
Nice dyno plots post though! :goldcup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
M55555,

I'm curious about the choices you made in regards to the Fuel type and Rev Limiter when purchasing the PC tune.
Did you go for the 91 or 93 Octane? Also, how about the Rev Limiter?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M55555,

I'm curious about the choices you made in regards to the Fuel type and Rev Limiter when purchasing the PC tune.
Did you go for the 91 or 93 Octane? Also, how about the Rev Limiter?
Rev limiter remained at stock stats.

91 octane as I do not have [easy] access to 93 in CA :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rev limiter remained at stock stats.

91 octane as I do not have [easy] access to 93 in CA :(

See, I already decided to go with the PC and have made my purchase this Friday. The cable should be in the mail on Monday:biggrinbounce:
I chose the RevLimiter to be increased to 7250 and the Fuel Type 93. Here in the north-east the 93 Octane is easily accessible.

However, given the fact that the car is tuned to 91 stock, I was wondering if it is a good idea to go with 93. Kinda doing some research in the last second before it's too lateouich

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See, I already decided to go with the PC and have made my purchase this Friday. The cable should be in the mail on Monday:biggrinbounce:
I chose the RevLimiter to be increased to 7250 and the Fuel Type 93. Here in the north-east the 93 Octane is easily accessible.

However, given the fact that the car is tuned to 91 stock, I was wondering if it is a good idea to go with 93. Kinda doing some research in the last second before it's too lateouich
Yes, you'll be fine with 93. Let us know your feedback when you receive it :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts