BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Powerchip for E60 M5

13K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  MIB 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Re: its been chiped

yep m5 said:
power chip have done it! the e60 has been "chiped".See at

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/datasheets/datasheets_two.asp?pid=Bmw0209

havent seen how the power and torque gaph is but knowing powerchip should make it more driveable, the limiter should be removed to! wonder what else is in there.

wow look at the power improvements..LOL..and all for only $1,990!.. (copied from Powerchip's US site)..... :rolleyes:

"Datasheets

Your BMW M5 E60 5.0 uses an ECU which has 'flash' memory. The flash EPROM inside the ECU is a hybrid and cannot be modified in the conventional chip tuning method. Powerchip can 'flash' program the EPROM device by interfacing with the computer's wiring connector plug to reprogram the chip that contains the engine's fuel delivery, ignition timing and throttle response settings. The ECU will need to be removed from the vehicle and sent via overnight courier to Powerchip. We have full photo ECU removal instructions to assist you and we will contact you after the order is made to organise the shipping information and other details.

In standard form, the M5 E60 5.0 produces 507 hp and 384 lb.-ft.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to 507 hp, and it's torque to 384 lb.-ft.

The price of the Powerchip is USD $1,990.00."

#8 ·

///Mysliwiec said:
As I remember some members who ows the new M5 dynoed it and it shows about 530 HP which equals 395 kW...so whats point having 384kW with Powerchip ?? :confused2
Exactly. There are some other Board members whose output has gone down after installing Powerchip. I wouldn't mess with the ECU no matter what they promised.

#9 ·

Wait a minute. $2,000 for an extra 10-15 hp and 10-15 ft-lbs of torque? And they want to monkey with the ECU? No, thanks.

#10 ·

Well its a darn site more than they got out of the E39. Everyone that did the p/chip upgrade on their E39 thought it well worth it!! Read some previous threads/posts, they will confirm. I'm sure(bloody sure) that there has been some E39's that have had 390 - 420HP STD and the p/chip has made a difference,"London to a brick", it's the same with the E60. Depend on where it's dyno'd. The bloke that rekons he got 530'ish Hp might have been at the North Pole! Someone in the Sahra might get 495Hp. Some freak engines some normal, dunno.

It's not just about Hp but torque thru the rev range, part throttle responce, what about that electronic throttle, some of those can be a pain in the 'A' double 'S', I'll bet it's smoothed out. OH !! What about the 250 max speed, I'll bet that's gone.
Bye the way I've got nothing to do with p/chip, just having a debate.

#12 ·

MEnthusiast said:
That works out to 515hp/ 395 ft-lb.
Removing the speed limiter is a valid point, although I am sure that other companies will offer to do this for much less than $2,000. But a 3% increase in horsepower and less than a 3% increase in torque likely will not even be noticeable to most, let alone worth this cost.

#13 ·
Hopefully the advertised hp and tq numbers on the usa page are a mistake and they (Powerchip) will soon post the correct numbers.

As I recall there are many folks on the board who are happy with their E39 M5 Powerchip upgrade. Some like the increased power/torque, some like the top speed limiter removed, some like the smoother response from the gas pedal, etc. Since Powerchip has performed in the past, why not give them the benefit of the doubt now, and wait until some of the E60 M5 owners get the upgrade.

Concerning the price, isn't/wasn't there a discount for M5Board members?

#14 ·
IMO to pay almost $2,000 for very minor improvements isnt worth it....Besides I would figure a reputable company would have already taken that web page down already if it was a mistake showing there chip dosent make any hp improvements....But then again look at BMWUSA's web site, someone there simply needs to get fired....Jay.s

#15 · (Edited)
I cannot belive the ignorance show in this post.

Worried about messing with your ECU. That's what Powerchip Does. Thats all they do. That's what they have done for more then 10 Years.

If by messing with it, you are reffering to PERFECTING it then Yes. They mess with it.

Perfect fuelling is Perfect fuelling. They study, it more throughly then any other company on the planet, and they only change, what they can improve on.

If there are not many areas to improve on, then it gets left aloan.

Would you prefer they promised 25 HP from a Air Filter?

But don't let me defend them.

For all you guys Who WILL actually HAVE an E60, never mind me BLOWING Right by you at 250 KM/hrs when you hit the wall and start choking on my dust as I disappear.

I'm sure you will explain to your passengers why an E39 left in in a cloud of dust. :M5launch:

Forget about Raised Revs limiters.

Forget about No Speed Limiter.

Forget that they solved the issue of rollover noise in the E39.

Forget that these guys know more about Programing BMW's then DINAN and everyone else out there.

Just continue to be a TIGHTWAD and complain about the Lowest cost mod, the biggest BANG per buck mod. Just keep complaining.

That way when the GUYS who actually GET one, and tell you how GOOD it is, as has EVERYONE that's ever got one in the past and kept it without an agenda will confirm.

Just wait until then. At that point, I hope you get reminded that There was a mistake on a website you wanted to complain about.

Perhaps they just put the SAME figures in, UNTIL They do a car from the country in Question and confirm ACTUAL results.

They know there are TIGHTWADS about that MICROMANAGE every little detail. So rather than UPSET these delicate little wall flowers and claim 1 more HP than there mate 5 times removed heard from a donkeys pet goat....They errr on the side of caution and WAIT until they Dyno a Customers car with the Chip to get Independant Verification That all The Tightwads WIll demand to see.

After reading this thread, I fully understand why Companies like Powerchip, Actually say to some customers, "I'm sorry, I don't think we will be able to help you. We don't believe we will be able to meeet or exceed your expectations. Thanks for your enquiry but No thanks."

I really understand that now.

You want 50 HP from $2K buy a chevy.

The average cost per HP on an E39 M5 is $1K Per HP.

Therefore the Powerchip should only be expected to deliver 2 HP. It does that standing on its ear.

No one buys a CHIP, Any chip for an Inflated NUMBER.

There is so much Value in a chip without even adding 1HP. If you don't know that, then you have Never had one.

So just picture this. An E39 M5 disappearing into the distance with you in your E60 Telling everyone that your car is Faster.

The comment that really scares the HELL out of me, is SOME GUY will come up with a Device that will remove the Speed limiter cheaper.

HOLY Crap! Now that is scary. Powerchip are Pro's. I wouldn't risk any BMW with Some Cheap device, that is detaectable for a start. Powerchip is not detectable.

A connected device, causes all soughts of issues even if it doesn't cause a problem.

But at least you can be comforted that you skimped on your car and saved a little coin.

Sleep Well.

P.S. How in the HELL can you make the ASSUMPTION its not worth the Money, when you have not driven a Chipped E60 M5. That's like the People who said The E60 M5 isn't worth the money before they drove it. I have driven it, and it is worth Every PENNY.

MJ

Reactions: Wspowerlifter
#16 ·
I bought a Powerchip for a 320i in 1993. The car was OK for a few weeks and then wouldn't work properly. It would "idle" at 3000rpm and wouldn't respond to the accelerator at all. It was a disaster. I took it out and left it in the glovebox until I sold the car 2 years later. In those days, the chips were done here in Adelaide so I was able to deal directly with the programmer, but they still couldn't get it right.

I hope they have improved since then. MIB, I haven't posted on this topic before and I don't have any "agenda". I hope Powerchip make good chips and that people are happy with what they buy. I can tell you that I wouldn't buy another one on the basis of my experience.

#17 · (Edited)
mhh said:
I bought a Powerchip for a 320i in 1993. The car was OK for a few weeks and then wouldn't work properly. It would "idle" at 3000rpm and wouldn't respond to the accelerator at all. It was a disaster. I took it out and left it in the glovebox until I sold the car 2 years later. In those days, the chips were done here in Adelaide so I was able to deal directly with the programmer, but they still couldn't get it right.

I hope they have improved since then. MIB, I haven't posted on this topic before and I don't have any "agenda". I hope Powerchip make good chips and that people are happy with what they buy. I can tell you that I wouldn't buy another one on the basis of my experience.
Hey MHH,

Holy Cow, I didn't know cars in 1993 had computers. hiha That's right that dam DOS rubbish. Real computers were not born until Windows 95.

I can only speak from the First BMW I chipped in 1995 318is forward and EVERY Single one I owned after that.

I took it to the track and we were comparing it to the Driver training cars 320's. The 318is had 3 very distinct dead spots in the revs, and lagged badly after breaking then back on the gas.

The Powerchip removed all the dead spots, and there was no longer any lag in Power. This was a NEW car.

All the guys at the testing centre drove the car Before and after the Chip. ALL were throughly impressed with it, including me.

I'm sure there wasn't much increase in Power, But it seemed like heaps, because the car was Silky smooth. The tacho used to stutter prior to the chip, and after it climed smoothly with no hickups.

My 2000 540 came alive with the Chip. I did Countless HSV Chips. Quarter Mile times always improved with every chip.

I don't think Powerchip made chips in 1993. Rather I think they just onsold someone elses back then.

Now they do them themself.

Congrats on the New Beast. If your not Powerchipped, then I am definately up for a race. I hope you don't mind having your *** handed to you by an E39. :M5launch:

MJ

Reactions: Wspowerlifter
#18 ·
No more caffeine for MIB...

#20 ·
MIB said:
How in the HELL can you make the ASSUMPTION its not worth the Money, when you have not driven a Chipped E60 M5. That's like the People who said The E60 M5 isn't worth the money before they drove it. I have driven it, and it is worth Every PENNY.

MJ
I think what most are thinking about is how if you have any major issue with the engine, odds are you will end up in a battle with BMWNA on whether or not they will perform warranty work on the engine with a modified ECU. The E60 M5 motor is very new, and I'm not sure how many want to risk having to foot the bill for a $25k motor just because they wanted a 3% increase in power.

#21 ·
CSBM5 said:
I think what most are thinking about is how if you have any major issue with the engine, odds are you will end up in a battle with BMWNA on whether or not they will perform warranty work on the engine with a modified ECU. The E60 M5 motor is very new, and I'm not sure how many want to risk having to foot the bill for a $25k motor just because they wanted a 3% increase in power.
dont you worry, there will be plenty that will. As with the e39, people will want to explore the power game and why not. they can afford to buy a new m5, a couple of 'g's for extra HP is less than something on the option list.
Next year we will be reading threads/posts about the latest headers, exhausts, CAI's, computer altered shift patterns,light weight clutch/flywheel combo's, "dar di dar di dar". Oh and then someone will come on asking whether ther is a super chager Kit avalible. ;) Now were talking 10's of 'G's.
And it all starts again, carnt wait!!!!

#22 ·
yep m5 said:
dont you worry, there will be plenty that will. As with the e39, people will want to explore the power game and why not. they can afford to buy a new m5, a couple of 'g's for extra HP is less than something on the option list.
Next year we will be reading threads/posts about the latest headers, exhausts, CAI's, computer altered shift patterns,light weight clutch/flywheel combo's, "dar di dar di dar". Oh and then someone will come on asking whether ther is a super chager Kit avalible. ;) Now were talking 10's of 'G's.
And it all starts again, carnt wait!!!!
If you are getting PC JUST for the horsepower/tq increase, I wouldn't bother. I did it on my E39, going from Dinan software to PC. I cannot tell you there were horsepower gains because I did not measure, but drivability was hugely improved. Car was much more responsive in all gears, engine revved more easily. And fuel mileage (admittedly not a big item on these cars) went up about 1.0 mpg. However, my engine was well broken in and I would put some miles on my car before I started making changes. The factory warranty issue is pretty minor, my dealership cannot detect the difference between Dinan and PC with the same rev limiter. With the E39, you could always reinstall the old program easily. Not sure what PC has for the E60.

So at $900, I thought it well worth the price, but not for horsepower gains. At 2x the price, not worth it just for horsepower IMHO. Now, for horsepower gains, headers are a different story..... :M5thumbs:
Regards,
Jerry

#24 ·
hythe said:
No more caffeine for MIB...
hiha I hate Decafe. :cheers:

I'll probably go with Dinan when they become available.
Hey AB, are you basing that on the fact that Dinan Claim ZERO HP for the E39?

Dinan's software is dinosaur Outdated. Or do you like the Pretend Implied Warrenty?

Just curious. Dinan make Great quality parts but there software just plain stinks. Its been proven dozens of times on the board.

MJ

#25 · (Edited)
gsfent said:
So at $900, I thought it well worth the price, but not for horsepower gains. At 2x the price, not worth it just for horsepower IMHO. Now, for horsepower gains, headers are a different story..... :M5thumbs:
Regards,
Jerry
Hey Jerry,

My Stealer knows about all my mods and does not have a problem with any of them. They actually said Quote, "We expect all BMW owners to POWERCHIP there BMW. If we owned one, we would." He went onto to say that they have never encounted a problem with any Powerchipped BMW. Other than the owners compalining about excess Speeding fines. :M5launch:

But when I mentioned Headers, they said :nono: I didn't understand. They said it was a straight out Engine mod.

I said there are no Moving parts to fail? They didn't care. They said I would have issues with them if I fitted headers. They had no Problem with the Tubi or any other exhaust. They didn't feel that that was a Performance increase.

Go figure. I think that is strange. I guess its just a dealer by , dealer thing. Maybe they have had someone who fitted headers have an engine go bad, I don't know, but that's the first MOD they said, NO.

Regards MJ

#26 ·
MIB said:
They study, it more throughly then any other company on the planet,

Forget that these guys know more about Programing BMW's then DINAN and everyone else out there.
I'm curious about the factual basis for these claims. Have you been to Powerchip's headquarters to check them out? How about Dinan's Morgan Hill headquarters to check them out? Based on the Powerchip website, it sounds like they have a 5 man development team (although they do have a top 25 golfer backing them which is impressive) :hihi: :3:

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.