BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankyou Powerchip, You guys are DA MAN!

I just upgraded my Powerchip, to include a 300 Rpm Idle increase, and GUESS WHAT?

No more Rollover rattle at idle. It is GONE BABY.

I now have a Perfect Uncompromised Beast.

The Rollovernoise with the UBER clutch was just that little thing stopping it from being Perfect.

Its Gone. Quiet as Stock.

You don't even notice its there unless you look at the taco, which now is on 900 rpm.

Its no louder, its smooth, its PERFECT.

Now there is NO excuse for having a PUSSY clutch. POWERCHIP have come through BIGTIME.

Thanks again to the guys at Powerchip, who are true enthusiasts and took the time to develop something for our beloved Beast.

Regards Mark J.
:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Excellent Mark, I just got a e-mail from powerchip today to follow up a conversation I had with Joel. Looks like I going to call him tomorrow. Thanks for the information :1:

Joe

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Not to mention it is probably easier to launch the car with the increased idle speed. I always wondered if the increased idle speed trick would work, but since noone with slight roll over noise was too worried about it I never pressed the matter. How is that clutch working out now that you have had it for awhile?
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Joe,

I am so pumped with the new chip. I keep starting the car up and standing outside it Grinning like an idiot. :1:

Its so cool how the Powerchip guys continually raise the bar.

I was happy with the Normal Powerchip.

It deleted the Speed limiter, and Raised to the rev limit to my liking. As well as crisper throttle response.

Then They gave us a bit more with the TUBI, and Now they cure a Problem that they did not create, The roll over noise from an Uber clutch.

This is just TOO cool for words. The roll over noise was a small price to pay for a great clutch, but Now its GONE, its Even better.

It was like a small blemish on a Perfect specimen. It was only a small thing, BUT it was there.

Now its not there. :1: :1: :1:

:flag:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BmwNut said:
Not to mention it is probably easier to launch the car with the increased idle speed. I always wondered if the increased idle speed trick would work, but since noone with slight roll over noise was too worried about it I never pressed the matter. How is that clutch working out now that you have had it for awhile?
Hey Nut,

NOW I can honestly say the Clutch is PERFECT. :hihi:

Thanks to Powerchip. Yes, sometimes you get lazy when driving slow, the added revs keep everything smooth.

Its ALL POSITIVES with no negatives.

I have driven about 50 miles so far with it, and pop the clutch at at every red light and just smile. Its Gone.

Even outside the car, its Gone. I would have been happy with a reduction of 50%, but its Gone.

cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I might see if we can do something similar in my buds 350Z. He wants to chip it soon, and even the stock tranny with a stock clutch has roll over noise. Glad to hear it all worked out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Rob from UUC said that the rollover noise would go away if you kicked up the idle. He was right. I'm looking for the better throttle response and it sounds like that's there also. A couple other guys mentioned that also in some other theads.

Great news
Joe

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hudson said:
Rob from UUC said that the rollover noise would go away if you kicked up the idle. He was right. I'm looking for the better throttle response and it sounds like that's there also. A couple other guys mentioned that also in some other theads.

Great news
Joe
Hey Joe,

Yes many people know that the noise would go by raising the idle. I used to leave a toe on the gas occassionally if stopped at road works and I didn't want to hold the clutch in.

But how many People know how to get an M5 to have a higher idle?

Very few.

Whilst everyone is talking, Powerchip were doing. They don't just talk the talk, They Walk the Walk.

Whilst my setup is a one off, its similar to the UUC.

Idividual cars will have different tolerances. I'm glad mine is gone at 300.

Even if a UUC wasn't completely gone, it would be improved out of site.

I haven't heard a UUC but from comments it sounded similar to mine, even though earlier it was said theres would be much quieter.

Now mine is silent, I am eager to hear a UUC, to see if they can get there's SILENT.

Either way the POWERCHIP is well worth the coin.

MJ

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
gra8fuldd ed said:
Mark:

At idle ...How many RPM is your engine running?? 1100 ... 1200 ... ?
Hey Ed,

About 900 Now. cherrsagai

Stock it was a needle width or 2 above 500 = 600?

Now it is that needle width or two below 1,000 = 900

·
Banned
300 Posts
Looks like Powerchip is just masking the flywheel rattling with extra engine noise(rev) ? How can this completely eliminate the problem?

·
10,455 Posts
marcvip said:
Looks like Powerchip is just masking the flywheel rattling with extra engine noise(rev) ? How can this completely eliminate the problem?
Actually, the rollover noise is not from the flywheel itself, it's from the gearbox.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
marcvip said:
The problem is the rattling at slow engine speed as I understand it. If raising the engine speed duplicates putting your foot lightly on the throttle, which is one way to eliminate the noise, and the noise goes away, then it eliminates the problem of gear lash noise. If this works on UUC equiped cars, I think it is a great solution. I could easily live with a slightly higher idle speed as a tradeoff for a super strong clutch.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
marcvip said:
Marc,

After annoying countless people with your clutch issues, once again you come to the table showing a complete lack of knowledge and respect.

You are 12,000 % WRONG again.

They are not covering the noise with engine noise. WRONG.
At 300 rpm there really isn't any notable extra engine noise.

The harmonics have cancelled out and the rattle has GONE.

As the revs rise, the vibration disappears. PROBLEM FIXED, GONE. CAPICHE.

Not covered up, or masked up, BUT GONE.

At +300 you are no longer stock idling. The noise was only ever at stock idle. Once you move enough off stock idle it goes.

The fix was simple. Thats why I used to rest a toe on the accelerater at the lights.

I understand how you would be feeling very foolish, not having removed the heart of the problem becasue of a light noise, especially how everyone knew the noise could be fixed.

It was onlyu a matter of waiting until a SUPER TUNER like POWERCHIP worked out how the raise the Idle on an M5.

Everyone who has ever had anything to do with performance Clutches/flywheels knew that its just a matter of raising the idle. On old cars its just a matter of turning a screw.

The problem is the Beast doesn't have a screw to turn.

Powerchip Did it. Game set match. Super Clutch, No NOISE. No compromise. Just frying tires.

You may wish to get a GOOD setup after you fry the Dual mass Modified POS. :flag:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
cool, nice one mate! idle at 900rpm, think the sweet spot on my uuc stg3 is at 850rpm's, will have to look into getting mine raised. :)

Any other new mods? :byebye:

·
Banned
300 Posts
Mark ...insecure/jealous response... true sign of an Australian :p

I understand the noise has been driving you crazy for a long time now....it shows bigtime....
didn't you also deal with clutch chatter/vibration when shifting with your carbon clutch and don't you have the 10" clutch kit?

Bottom line 11inch kit is $4k with install plus $1k for powerchip....

SPEC/SACHS stg1(racing organic) plus Dinan stg1 flywheel (zero noise)equivalent costs 3 times less! and will last longer than stock!...

from your previous comments;

The Clutch itself is a 5 button, with sprung loaded centre. The centre is the same as an 850 BMW.We used a cutting edge compound called Carbotics

The only real negative, is the rollover noise.

With soft rqadio on, you can't here it from inside, but man its loud outside the car.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
marcvip said:
Mark ...insecure/jealous response... true sign of an Australian :p
That's funny--I interpreted Mark's response not as one of insecurity, but one of frustration. Frustration with your repeating the same information, over and over, posting it in multiple places, even after its accuracy has been discredited. At least I'm getting frustrated with your repeated posts.

Rollover noise is one of those tradeoffs when considering a more positive clutch solution. To some, it's an issue; to others, it's not. But it is not reflective of any fundamental design flaw. Raising the idle speed seems to be a fairly benign fix to the issue of rollover noise.

Let me be clear, I'm not a big UUC clutch fan or a Dinan-basher. For me personally, I'm still uncertain if the cost-benefit ratio meets my decision criteria. But that's my CHOICE. And I applaud others, like Mark, for choosing to do something else that meets THEIR criteria.

There are other internet forums more suitable to your style of dialogue/interaction. Perhaps you'd have more fun elsewhere?

·
Banned
300 Posts
:cool2:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
What cracks me up is every gear box has roll over noise, the question is just how it the sound muted to acceptable levels? It either can be done with idle speed, or a heavy flywheel. So by the same logic does having a stock heavy flywheel not "cure" the problem of roll over noise either? It accomplishes the same thing, so I dont see why rasing the idle speed would be an issue at all... hmmm

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mark J. you can't make all the people happy all the time. There will always be some to rain on your parade. It's your car, your money, your time, your hobby.....you found a solution for your car and that's what matters.

I'm glad you posted your result. That's why I and most people come to this board. It will help me make a decision for MY car. Name calling has no solutions.

Great post Teutonaddict
Joe

1 - 20 of 83 Posts