BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is one better than the other? I have Dinan Stage I, and have been very happy with it, but have read good things about the PowerChip Gold 93.

I would llike to hear from people that have had Dinan Stage I, and switched to PowerChip. Did they experience a difference in performance, and if so, how much of a difference? Worth the Price?

Thanks!
Robert

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
1badm5 said:
Is one better than the other? I have Dinan Stage I, and have been very happy with it, but have read good things about the PowerChip Gold 93.

I would llike to hear from people that have had Dinan Stage I, and switched to PowerChip. Did they experience a difference in performance, and if so, how much of a difference? Worth the Price?

Thanks!
Robert
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this subject, a search might help. However, I had Dinan and switched to PC and noticed a dramatic seat of the pants improvement. This is not to bash Dinan, I think they generally do great job with their products, everything is researched and works as intended, but this is one place where the competition seems a little better, perhaps because it is their predominant line of business.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I was in your same situation.

Peformance...ha ha. You GET **** from dinan..its not even worth the money.

Throttle response...better with powerchips

Gas Mileage---if you stay off of it, youll get better with the powerchips.

Also if you try to upgrade the car with dinan software on it, the car will not adapt to anything as part of dinans little "trick" is that they lock out the adaptation values so that you have to use their software and their parts...very tricky.

Overall...dump the dinan. dump it like a fat girl on prom night

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Had Dinan since May 2001, and PC since April 02. Big improvement, particularly in these areas:

No more 'bunny hops' at low gears when cold.
Much much smoother throttle response with PC.
Another 1.5 MPG improvement in gas mileage.

The overall improvement in driveability (?) is significant with the PC. Best $$ I've spent.

CP

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. After much research I coundn't find one bad thing anybody had to say about Powerchip or switching from Dinan stage 1 to Powerchip...so I had it overnighted to me and I loaded the software today.

Initial review is that I really can't tell any difference between Dinan s1 and the PC, but I have only driven the car a few (maybe 10?) miles. So, I will reserve judgement for a few days until I can get more miles on thd car. PC told me it would take about 200 miles for the program to get adjusted to my driving habits.

I will say the peopel at PC were VERY easy to work with and were quite helpful and interested!

I'll give an update in a few days.....

Robert

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert,

the full effect of the programming takes about 60 miles to fully adapt to your car. You should have noticed the throttle response so far...but the power does take a bit of time to acclimate.

·
Registered
931 Posts
PowerChip staff is very accomodating. I have had PC 93 in my car for about one year. I recently had the car dyno'd along with the air/fuel ratio. The recent runs showed some leanness at the upper end. I sent the old and new read out along with my ECU to PowerChip. They made some modifications based on the read outs and got the ECU back to me in two days! Life is good and so is PowerChip. :1:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
1badM5 - Did you remove the Dinan software before you installed the Powerchip stuff? My understanding is that is the way to go?

I'm interested in moving as well...

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Bill, I didn't remove Dinan. Call JOEL at Powerchip and he can guide you through the process.
Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts