BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon Board.

Newbie here. Are there alternative pricings available for the Powerchip Gold 93? Their website shows a price of $990. I was wondering several things;

1. Is it available less expensively elsewhere?

2. Is it a noticeable improvement? (we can get 101 Octane here in the midwest, not as many tree huggers and fish squeezers to contend with):D

3. Is it difficult to install?

Thanks much Board!

KCD

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi kcdoyle,

The company used to offer fiftybucks off if M5BOARD.COM was mentioned. It's worth a try.

They shipped me a notebook computer with preinstalled software and a cable. It's easy enough - it's all software - so you are basically overwriting your OEM programming. Supposedly, powerchip (the company) keeps your old software on-file and will send you the laptop again if you need to restore your original software. Personally, I liked the "old days" when the programming was on a removable chip (EPROM), and you could pop your OEM chip back in at any time.

I don't remember actually "feeling it", but rather, did mine mostly to get rid of cold-related uneven running.
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
KCD

Used to be you get $100 off for being a board member. May still be the case. Never hurt to ask.

It is the best mod for the $$ IMHO.

The only difficulty is finding a lap-top with parallel and serial ports. Most don't have these ports as everything is USD these days. :(

Good luck. I am a firm believer of the Power Chip. It is a great product.

CP

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
chunpng said:
...Used to be you get $100 off for being a board member...
Maybe it was $100 ???? That's better yet.

·
10,445 Posts
chunpng said:
KCD

The only difficulty is finding a lap-top with parallel and serial ports. Most don't have these ports as everything is USD these days. :(

CP
That was a problem in my case, but they sent a serial to usb adapter, all worked fine...
Mike

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The laptop is provided but there is a deposit for it

The price cut used to be $100 off

the full price used to be about 650

its probably gone up by now

the full download of your stock program, emailing it to powerchips and them reprograming it and then sending it back to you is about 2 hours total (most of that time is waiting for them to send back your reprogram)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I've got a powerchip software installed and its extremely aggressive! Puts a smile on my face every time i floor it!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I called a few months ago and the powerchip 93 gold was $1,000 with a $50 board discount is my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just installed the software two weeks ago. $990 list with $100 off for being a M5board member. I found that right after the install, I could not tell the difference, but within a few days it felt stronger. Sort of feels like the sport button is pushed in all the time. I also have noticed that when using the sport button, it has less of an effect now. As I am accelerating and I hit the sport button, it does not jump ahead like it used to.

I have confirmed that it will now rev to 7250 RPMs. I think I am seeing about 70 mph in 2nd gear (stock differential). I have not seen an improvement in gas mileage yet - I think I am having to much fun driving in a spirited way. I love my car - it is a lot to spend on an upgrade that cannot really be confirmed without a before and after Dyno run. I think the Powerchip works great.

My next mods: SuperSprint Mufflers, Ground Control Adjustable Front Camber Plates, Dinan Rear Sway Bar

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
2002m5BGM said:
I found that right after the install, I could not tell the difference, but within a few days it felt stronger.
Power Chip takes some miles (they say 60, more like 200-250) to be fully adapted.

CP

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
i dont know about you guys, but i felt it right away!

Can anyone confirm whether they feel any differences in certain RPM's? I said this before and i say it again.... the first thing i felt after the powerchip install was how the car pulled suddenly at 3000 RPM ! Like a turbo kicking in!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ahmed said:
i dont know about you guys, but i felt it right away!

Can anyone confirm whether they feel any differences in certain RPM's? I said this before and i say it again.... the first thing i felt after the powerchip install was how the car pulled suddenly at 3000 RPM ! Like a turbo kicking in!
I am not an authority on software but have heard that the Powerchip software is add on software to the factory program whereas the Dinan software rewrites the complete factory program. There could be longterm side effects to using Powerchip software on the engine. (hence only three year warranty) versus Dinan software that is warrantied? Would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
It's too bad for us that Powerchip remains absolutely silent on this board, as they could make significant contributions here regarding the mysteries of the E39's ECU. I'd like to see Powerchip follow the lead of Zeckhausen Racing, Discovery Automotive, Evosport, and Jaric Designs to name just a few. That would be great!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
ELEVENS said:
It's too bad for us that Powerchip remains absolutely silent on this board, as they could make significant contributions here regarding the mysteries of the E39's ECU. I'd like to see Powerchip follow the lead of Zeckhausen Racing, Discovery Automotive, Evosport, and Jaric Designs to name just a few. That would be great!
exactly !

can someone please tell me what Powerchip did to my ECU? Cause I no longer drive my beast, it drives me!

·
Registered
150 Posts
ELEVENS said:
I can confirm that sentiment. When I emailed them questions about which chip to get (9?) based on the fuel I have available (94), they suggested the 93 optimized chip. I never did get an on point answer to what I thought was a simple question- should I get the 92 chip and run 93 or 94, or get the 93 chip and run 94?

I wasn't impressed with what seemed to be a reluctance to address the question directly, so I lost interest.

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
johnv said:
I am not an authority on software but have heard that the Powerchip software is add on software to the factory program whereas the Dinan software rewrites the complete factory program. There could be longterm side effects to using Powerchip software on the engine. (hence only three year warranty) versus Dinan software that is warrantied? Would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than myself.
I had the Dinan software and switched to PC. Huge difference, the car was not only more responsive, but smoother throughout the range. Car felt like it was running in sport mode and hitting sport mode gave (and still does) a nice kick in the back. I can't tell if it increased horsepower, but the feel and smoothness were much improved. I would think that both tuners use similar methodology, but the art is rewriting the code. Based on my experience, this is one of those things that was done better than Dinan (which doesn't happen too often IMHO).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
83 Posts
gsfent said:
I had the Dinan software and switched to PC. Huge difference, the car was not only more responsive, but smoother throughout the range. Car felt like it was running in sport mode and hitting sport mode gave (and still does) a nice kick in the back. I can't tell if it increased horsepower, but the feel and smoothness were much improved. I would think that both tuners use similar methodology, but the art is rewriting the code. Based on my experience, this is one of those things that was done better than Dinan (which doesn't happen too often IMHO).
Regards,
Jerry
The question is are they rewriting code that sits on top of the factory code or are they rewriting the entire factory code? Dinan and Powerchip are hard to get answers from regarding these types of questions. I would hate to find out after four years using Powerchip software that there were some engine related problems due to the software running things to rich and/or lean. JV

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I did the upgrade just recently, the procedure is that you down load the EEC file from the car, email it to Powerchip. They make changes to that file and email it back to you. You then upload the file back into the car.

This tells me they take the file and make changes to it. It did not take long either - less than 1 hour. I bet they have a software script they run against the file depending on the upgrade parameters you gave them to make modifications to the file for us.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you guys are interested, here is the email I just got from them.
Dear K,

This is a follow-up to my earlier email with the link to the performance datasheet for your BMW M5 E39 4.9 V8 (PDF file*). In case you didn?t see it, here it is again:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/2/Bmw0068.pdf

We also have a corporate brochure available for download which explains our development process and other interesting information. There is both a .pdf and also an E-book version that are just over 2Mb in file size. To download a copy, follow this link:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/brochure.asp
I reviewed the information you sent about your car, your local octane ratings and your driving style. I recommend Powerchip's Gold 93 upgrade. It's the best choice for your needs.

It's easy to add this performance enhancing technology to your car. Click here to start the process

https://www.powerchipgroup.com/products/order/order.asp?pid=Bmw0068

Your order is RISK-FREE and backed by a FULL warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee.
To help you decide, answers to frequently asked questions from people just like you are here:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/innovation/faq/index.asp
Do you have a question related to your M5 E39 4.9 V8. Feel free to call or reply to this email. But please make your question specific to the Powerchip, rather than other modifications. This will help me get back to you faster :)

Thank you for your interest in Powerchip!

Sincerely,

Joel Ayson

BMW Power Consultant

Powerchip?

Digital adrenaline for your engine

Toll-free anywhere in North America 1-800-495-0777

www.powerchipgroup.com

·
Registered
784 Posts
For what it is worth I have shared openly that we, www.discovery-automotive.com regularly work hand in hand with the team at PowerChip (800)495-0777.

I find that they are very responsive, willing to listen, and ultimately answer questions based on first hand experience. Does this mean they are perfect.......probably not but then I always remember that I too drop the ball once in a while too.

With regards to their present pricing structure I ask that you call them directly. I know they appreciate the support and the many comments shard by all. I also know that they have continued their practice of offering a discount for the active M5 board members.

Now a couple specific issues.

One member mentioned that PowerChip simply adds to the existing BMW program whereas Dinan has written a new program; this is not true. It is far to complex for me to fully share in this tread but let me share that the programming within your DME was written by/for BMW and then whether you work with PowerChip, Dinan, Discovery Automotive, EVOSport, Active AutoWerks, etc........... we all modify what was originally written...we do not and have not produced a new program. There is absolutely no reason to…… consider for a moment the OEM DME software in the same way you look at a Windows or Mac operating system.

A key difference between Dinan and all of the others that I mentioned is the fact that Dinan has produced a canned DME modification package whereas the others will make adjustments specific to your car, associated hardware, local area fuel, and driving style.

The modifications even though they are electronically done are the same in many cases as when we used to simply turn the screws at the base of he carburetor or rotate the distributor to modify timing however today we have to turn electronic screws.

What you will come to understand is that each company has his or her own personal twist. In fact in some cases some will have located a specific map section within the DME that affords them a bit more flexibly during the tuning process. And then lastly, some will have created based on experience and their going development program a larger library of results derived from the testing of individual hardware as well as how combining hardware affects the required tuning modifications.

I have shared in the past that when it comes to personalizing your vehicles it is important to develop a relationship with a team that listens to you, hears what you are saying, and then answers you questions and provides a service that makes you happy. Remember it is a relationship a such there maybe a hiccup once in a while…….let the hiccup not be your focus but rather how it was dealt with.

PowerChip has bought some wonderful technology to this marketplace along with a level of integrity that I hope more will aspire too; we do everyday.

As a closing comment to “johny”…… you would be in good hands with PowerChip. There are no stack programs, overlays to conern yourself with. Just a simple straightforward method of modifying the DME to afford a wonderful enhanced level of performance based on experience.

Best regards,

Shadowman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts