BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to this so bare with me, I have a 2005 M5 with 70,000miles on the clock, just had full rebuild after crankbearings failed. Now that the engine has been rebuilt and runs better than ever and all bushes etc have been changed it runs like a new car. So im looking for more power. Its just had new exhaust (inc cats) and remap. What more can I do. Is there an aftermarket supercharger kit or turbo conversion available? Its not going to be my main car as my wife has a 997 which im going to use now, so mileage shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
700 Posts
if money is not an issue... i believe the most R&D'd package out there is the Dinan S3/5.7L stroker.
regarding forced induction, i believe that G-Force has the only publicized working setup that is twin turbo.
rumor has ESS working on a supercharger, and ASR a twin turbo system of their own.
there is of course some NOS setups too... ASR and possibly RPI.
if you're looking for some bolt ons, then take a look at some aftermarket headers that delete the primary cats... RPI, EVO, and Supersprint. i believe TMS also has a catless header setup. the information that i've seen is that headers will yield somewhere between 20-35whp at peak, and varying midrange torque improvement (RPI up to 30-45 lb-ft).
pulleys and intakes may yield some 10-15whp too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Theres plenty of good threads here with some very detailed lists. Worth doing a search. If money is no object then G=Power supercharger lit will give you the fastest M5 in the country and over 700bhp. ASR also do a turbo kit and then there is the Dinan 5.7 conversion kit. There is a place here in Southampton that has started doing a 5.7 conversion engine swap program. NEXT importantly is to let me know when it's all done so I can come meet you and have a look :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
If you do our bolt ons, and you lose to someone else with the same bolt ons (different brand), you can return all the RPi parts for a full refund. :)
You need to set down conditions bro. Are you telling me your headers and long tube headers from another brand perform the same?

Will a full bolt-on RPi M5 still pull hard past 150mph?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,395 Posts
You need to set down conditions bro. Are you telling me your headers and long tube headers from another brand perform the same?

Will a full bolt-on RPi M5 still pull hard past 150mph?
The conditions are simply apples to apples. If your M5 with RPi products loses to another M5 with identical products from a different brand, given equal conditions, you may contact us and return your RPi products for a refund if you so wish.

BTW, no, our headers do not perform the same as long tube headers, which is why many people have switched over to ours:

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The reason why I ask Gabe is because in normal street driving conditions, long tube headers pull harder from mid to top range. Is that correct? I remember seeing a video of RabDog racing Amedali ( Rpi vs Dinan ) where the Dinan was gaining strongly towards top end ( 140 mph + )

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
The reason why I ask Gabe is because in normal street driving conditions, long tube headers pull harder from mid to top range. Is that correct? I remember seeing a video of RabDog racing Amedali ( Rpi vs Dinan ) where the Dinan was gaining strongly towards top end ( 140 mph + )
Thats incorrect. Amedali had lighter, smaller wheels and the rear diff which changes how the car accelerates.

·
Registered
924 Posts
yes because it will shorten the real tall 6th and 7th gear which will help acceleration... my theory is that the differential helps 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd 4th and 5th gear stock diff seems to have an advantage and 6th and 7th the dinan diff helps more... I think its cause the shorter gear allows the car to get into the powerband faster off the line, but once it gets to third the stock diff stays in the powerband longer than the shorter diff gears, but once it gets into 6th and 7th it is too long of gears and it takes longer to get into the powerband and therefore the shorter diffs have the advantages in those gears... This is all merely my speculation whether it is true or not, but from observation and a light amount of data collected...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts